New to SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeter

May 1, 2004
Okay, i've been in clubsnap for quite a while.... but finally i got my hands on a film SLR !!! :)

It got no lens, the metering seems to be working.

Thus i would like to ask for suggestions of lens !! Something affordable will be fine. oh the camera is a Nikon FG.

What's the difference between an *old 50mm and a new 50mm? and how to differentiate them?

New lens got new lens smell :bsmilie:
Actually, when u buy lens from camera shops they are new lens, when u buy from 2nd hand market or 2nd hand shops then they are old lens.

ohz, so i wont have to bother abt the AFi AFs thingy right?

FG is a manual camera if i'm not wrong..

autofocus won't work,have to manually focus,so the AF thing is not a concern.

the manual 50mm feels more solid,better built and have more "feel" when focusing..

the new AF version is quite plasticky when compared.

Yes the FG is a manual focus camera, but I suggest to buy a AF lens, so in future if u decide to change to auto focus camera u can use the same lens. And yes the AF lens is a bit plasticky...

Oh i see.... then it's hard for me to make the decision, neverthless, i'll get a 50mm first ! :)

manual focus 50mm has a larger trough than the AF version so its relatively easier to focus without the aid of AF..

adjustments to the focus distance by hand can be more precise ..

maybe you could test out the feel of both lens and see which are u more comfortable with when using manual focus...

can anyone comment about the image quality of the e series 50mm? this one usually goes for cheaper..

Hmmm... the cheapest lens is a pinhole lens. Just drill a tiny hole on your body cap (make sure you have a spare one) and you will have a pinhole lens. You can get those "lomo" type outputs with a lens like that.
:confused:

if ur new to SLR, then please bear in mind that the 50mm prime has NO zoom. its a fixed lens. so if ur looking for convenience, i suggest u get a zoom lens instead. yup. wont be as sharp as your prime, but certainly more convenient

i bought my e-series 50mm 2nd hand here. Got it like for $80, can't remember too long ago. Sharpness is gd, i've had no complaints. According to here contrast & colour saturation is not quite there but i wouldn't know. Don't have a nikkor to compare against.

ohz, now i got my hands on an old 35-70mm lens (borrowed from friend), i think a prime would be more interesting as previously i was using a 28-70 zoom lens on a F70.

Where will i be able to try out both the AF 50mm and the manual 50mm?

Prime is more of a oldschool thing right? :)

Yea Zplus, ur suggestion seems nice... i'll try it out.

holy cow!!

primes are not old-school! it's how u want to use it. I have 4 primes and no zooms because I like to compose with my feet. Zooms are convenient but I have no use for that, heh. I think there has been discussion on primes vs zooms before. you can go search on that.

haha, so what it actually means to be old-school? in the past, the kit len is usually a stand 50mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.