new to film! just bought a nikon fm, few qns! thx

One think I don't really understand. Probably won't. Why buy a film slr, capture image in film, develop it and scan the film into the computer and store it in the hard disk??

Wouldn't it be more simpler to buy a dslr and upload the image straight into the hard disk? Isn't this less painful? To me it is like asking why walk up the stairs when you can take the lift straight to the floor you are going.

:eek:
Same reason why ppl spend big bucks to get a full frame camera.. :)
Have u ever wondered why digital dint replaced film entirely? Simply because they can't.

It's quite difficult to get a film extractor these days. If you can get, it will cost more than your film. And besides, you also need to practice how to use the tool.

The best option is to request your printing lab to extract the film for you.
It only takes a few seconds to do that

You can also try this el-cheapo way that I use nowdays. Saves the trip to the lab.

Have u ever wondered why digital dint replaced film entirely? Simply because they can't.

Really? People who buy film dslr has the same reason with the full frame camera buyers??

Why digital did not replaced film entirely? Why simply they can't?

Google, there are plenty of views on that. ;) Film vs digital
Film is full frame shooting fyi. Getting OT here, google for the answers u need. :embrass:

Oh and yes, its film slr not film dslr (digital slr)

I guess that the kit lens you are mentioning is this AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6?
It can be mounted on your FM body. Autofocusing and metering still works except for vr.
From http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Firstly: D80's kit lens (standard kit) is AFS DX 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
Secondly, it's a G lens, which means it has NO aperture ring.
Nikon FM has NO autofocus as well. Neither does it have electronic aperture control.
So, sadly... the D80's kit lens won't work at all on the Nikon FM.

We haven't even got to the vignetting and so on...

just to be clear.... TS, we are talking about the camera shown below (or something very similar to it), am I right?

3047172512_2c6e7b50cf.jpg

image from flickr FM series group

Google, there are plenty of views on that. ;) Film vs digital
Film is full frame shooting fyi. Getting OT here, google for the answers u need. :embrass:
As far as I know, I have been reading about many professional photographer even the most ardent film user has now become a digital slr user. The greatest strength in digital slr is the ease of processing for these professional. Time is a main factor when they are in a tight schedule with thousands of shots to process.

btw, there are digital camera with sensor size of the 35mm film, medium and large format. If you are comparing cost, nothing cost more than time saved.

Oh and yes, its film slr not film dslr (digital slr)
I beg your pardon....Must be getting old.... mind work slower....

Nikon FM has NO autofocus as well. Neither does it have electronic aperture control.

I was still trying to digest what the G means below. The table shown in the kenrockwell is kinda misleading. Ah yes, almost forgotten that this is a DX lens. Vignetting will be an issue.

From http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm#g
G is not a feature, G is a handicap. G stands for gelded.

G lenses are lenses which have been crippled by removing their aperture rings to save cost. This is a classic example of taking away features while making customers think they are getting something new. G eliminates many features with older cameras.

These newest AF lenses have no aperture ring. This means that they will not work on manual focus cameras since there is no way to set the aperture. You can mount them, however every shot will be made at the smallest aperture and your metering will be way off (probably about SIX stops underexposed) since the camera has no way to know what the aperture will be.

This is silly, but you may get them to work on closed-loop auto exposure cameras like the FA in A mode. Good luck if you want to waste your time on this.

As far as I know, I have been reading about many professional photographer even the most ardent film user has now become a digital slr user. The greatest strength in digital slr is the ease of processing for these professional. Time is a main factor when they are in a tight schedule with thousands of shots to process.

btw, there are digital camera with sensor size of the 35mm film, medium and large format. If you are comparing cost, nothing cost more than time saved.

I agree that DSLR is very convenience, and time-saving BUT there are certain things DSLR cannot duplicate the analogue 'effects' from film SLR for example in lomography, and some infrared b&w/colour photos.

Some famous photographers are returning to film SLR in the cases of street photography, and some 'long-exposure' night photography.

On cost-saving factors, IMHO both DSLR and SLR is an expensive hobby.

My POV is it depends on what the photographer wants to achieve in his image.

And BTW, i still have my FM2 and is rediscovering the joy of film SLR again especially for infrared b&w photography. Will also be experimenting lomo effects with my FM2.

Last edited:

I beg your pardon....Must be getting old.... mind work slower....

Pros meed digital for the speed of use as well as the fact that their output is normally printed in media that do not request very very high clarity and old school feel. Enthusiasts on the other hand do not require that amount of speed as livelihood does not depend on that.
Shooting film is a deliberate and structured approach that many old timers like myself enjoy. It is the difference between playing a RPG vs DOTA, most new shooters do it like DOTA while the more seasoned ones will take it slow and contemplate before shooting.
The professional drivers also use F1 cars and super sports cars, do you see enthusiasts doing that? Not everything that Pros use is suitable for Amateurs, don't need to equipment whore and go for all the newest techs.
Try shooting film once in a while and you will see what I mean.

I was still trying to digest what the G means below. The table shown in the kenrockwell is kinda misleading. Ah yes, almost forgotten that this is a DX lens. Vignetting will be an issue.

Can still use. Shoot in min aperture, and with vignetting... but will still mount and work.. Long exposure... ;)

Really? People who buy film dslr has the same reason with the full frame camera buyers??

Why digital did not replaced film entirely? Why simply they can't?

In the end, people stil shoot film due to one BIG reason.

The joy is in the process, not only the result.

Just like how people like to drive antique cars, when those cars are slow, unsafe and unreliable. And modern cars are fuel economical, faster, safer, more comfortable. Both will get you from point A to B.

Can still use. Shoot in min aperture, and with vignetting... but will still mount and work.. Long exposure... ;)
Ahhhh yes. Minimum aperture. Didn't think of that ;)

Ok I stand corrected. Lens works, but not in the conventional sense :D

I agree that DSLR is very convenience, and time-saving BUT there are certain things DSLR cannot duplicate the analogue 'effects' from film SLR for example in lomography, and some infrared b&w/colour photos.

Some famous photographers are returning to film SLR in the cases of street photography, and some 'long-exposure' night photography.

On cost-saving factors, IMHO both DSLR and SLR is an expensive hobby.

My POV is it depends on what the photographer wants to achieve in his image.

And BTW, i still have my FM2 and is rediscovering the joy of film SLR again especially for infrared b&w photography. Will also be experimenting lomo effects with my FM2.

Pros meed digital for the speed of use as well as the fact that their output is normally printed in media that do not request very very high clarity and old school feel. Enthusiasts on the other hand do not require that amount of speed as livelihood does not depend on that.
Shooting film is a deliberate and structured approach that many old timers like myself enjoy. It is the difference between playing a RPG vs DOTA, most new shooters do it like DOTA while the more seasoned ones will take it slow and contemplate before shooting.
The professional drivers also use F1 cars and super sports cars, do you see enthusiasts doing that? Not everything that Pros use is suitable for Amateurs, don't need to equipment whore and go for all the newest techs.
Try shooting film once in a while and you will see what I mean.

I do see your points. Like DD123 said "The joy is in the process, not only the result". The thing that bug me is that ts said he want to take in film, develop it and scan the photo into a digital media..... why not straight into digital.... then again that's me. For me, I just want to go straight and focus on the results and whatever means to get me there quickly.

PS. Nikon is still selling F6 and FM10.

Last edited:
PS. Nikon is still selling F6 and FM10.

Film will never be obsolete for now.

Why? Use of cameras in some fields still requires the use of film cameras. In many parts of the world, forensic evidence still needs to be photographed with film as digital is still not admissible in court.

Why? Use of cameras in some fields still requires the use of film cameras. In many parts of the world, forensic evidence still needs to be photographed with film as digital is still not admissible in court.
technology has also caught up! :)
http://www.sandisk.com/business-solutions/sd-worm/sd-worm-card

* but I agree with you... film will still be used in this field for some time at least.

curiously why the CSI seems to be using dslr?? fiction?