new to buying cameras - need some recommendation

Mar 17, 2018
Singapore
hi! i'm really new to this forum (like 45 minutes new) and i'm just wondering if anyone is able to recommend me an affordable (preferably below $1000) camera!

i've some basic knowledge on cameras/photography (i'm in a communications course) but a complete newbie when it comes to buying my first camera. I'm looking for one that is able to take high resolution/sharp photos, decent videos and a bonus would be good zoom range/able to have both shallow and great depth. (am i asking for too much ahaha)

also, can anyone advise if it's safe/credible to buy second hand cameras on carousell?

would really appreciate if someone could provide some guidance and advice! thank you.
:)

Welcome to ClubSNAP.
Have you noticed the sticky threads, always on top of the thread listing in each section? Do read them, many questions were discussed already and many answers are still valid.
Happy reading :)

hi! i'm really new to this forum (like 45 minutes new) and i'm just wondering if anyone is able to recommend me an affordable (preferably below $1000) camera!

i've some basic knowledge on cameras/photography (i'm in a communications course) but a complete newbie when it comes to buying my first camera. I'm looking for one that is able to take high resolution/sharp photos, decent videos and a bonus would be good zoom range/able to have both shallow and great depth. (am i asking for too much ahaha)

also, can anyone advise if it's safe/credible to buy second hand cameras on carousell?

would really appreciate if someone could provide some guidance and advice! thank you.
:)

Welcome, The pertinent questions you should ask yourself is what is the camera used for? Example, for the communication course you are studying or just dabbling
in photography? What genre of photography do you like to try..journalism,
street, portrait , landscape, architechture, sports, fashion, nature, still life, etc.?

Next is after knowing what you want to shoot, is what or which camera best suit your needs or really what features in a camera that is able to perform or take the photos that you want.In general most cameras can be used but for sports ,high frame rate (consecutive shots) is preferable to capture right moment, same for nature like birds in flight.A lesser camera means less ability to capture image.

Now comes the things you want your camera to do like resolution what do you understand of the term/word? This refers commonly to mean the photo/image
quality/ability to resolve or render fine details when zoomed in or enlarged.
Closely related to resolution is the megapixel rating of the image sensor or format/size.It does not mean a higher rating is better as it depends on the sensors size namely FF(full frame), APSC or M43( micro four thirds).We will not be talking about the compact camera type which is even smaller ( size of finger nail).

Sharpness of an image/photo is also relative to type/quality of lens.Camera holding technique and image stabilization (in body or in lens type) and focal length of lens. In general even a kit lens will perform relatively well.

Zoom range...most kit lens that comes with camera body have short zoom range,
example 18-55mm ( 28-75mm on apsc format) or 2X or 14-45mm (28-90mm) for M43.

Shallow and great depth...I assume you mean fast/big aperture ( greater ability to take in light) and depth of field (DOF) which is dependent on aperture and focal length of lens and distance of focus. Kit lens supplied have relatively slow/small aperture but is adequate in bright lighting conditions.

Next comes the last question...is it safe/credible to buy seond hand cameras. Yes if you know what to look out for and check/test camera, if not
ask an experienced friend to do it especially shutter actuations as there is a limit or life span/usage. My stuff are mostly 2nd. hand.:) You can also buy here in the buy/sell section.

With your budget you could buy new as most entry level type cameras are
within or under $1K but also consider you might want a 2nd. lens or external flash light or tripod, extra memory cards and a dry cabinet to store your equipment to protect them from fungus.

More importantly is the handling or ergonomics of the camera. How big and heavy , user features,with/without viewfinder only LCD and interface/controls feel to you as you are female size and weight is an important factor.Apsc or M43 camera as their image sensors is smaller than apsc. and crop factor/magnification of focal length.DSLR/mirror or mirrorless. Relative resolution and image/print size (most people don't print photos).

Last edited:
Get any camera + prime lens sure sharp blur background. Sharp n cheap.

welcome to Clubsnap !

Personally i think technology has gone forward so much nowadays technologically that most entry level cameras can do the job
Without knowing what your needs are and what you are going to use the camera for its hard to advise on equipment

However some tips on buying from Marketplace here in Clubsnap or on Carousell

Have a look at seller's history for an idea if that person is serious about photography in the first place
Of course its no guarantee but generally the more serious ones tend to look after their stuff alot better than someone who uses a camera once or twice a year for holidays and keeps the camera in a regular cupboard or drawer the rest of the year

Best wishes

I would suggest you try some of the more reputable dealers in Peninsula area like Cathay, SLR Revolution as well as the used dealers there like P&G to have an idea what's available.

As a start, I would recommend a Sony A6000 w the 16-50mm kit lens, or a Canon, or a Nikon. It should cost less than $1000 (Harvey Norman online at $899). Get a photo editing programme like Photoshop Elements (about $150). Watch Youtube tutorials, shoot and edit as much as possible to learn to use your camera and editing.