New Pentax Mirrorless Rumour

:what: if these rumours are true, can anyone see what market segment the product is aimed at? :confused:

seems like a neither here nor there product...

probably entry level market!

Here are the rumours from that site:

In Summary:
- One camera (Pentax NC-1?) and two lenses will be announced in March
- New mount
- 5.6x crop 14 Megapixel sensor (Sensor size around 1/2.33″)
- HD h.264 recording
- smaller than NEX body
- hot shoe
- Three more lenses to be announced later (very likely in September 2011)

1/2.3'' sensor? That's compact-sized!

1/2.3" sensor? Goodness! I hope not. Even PnS using the bigger 1/1.7" sensors suffer from high noise under low light. If they just want to build a low-performance PnS with interchangeable lens, then I think they are wasting their resources. Changing the lens is one thing but a REAL sensor would be nice too. This is assuming the rumours are true though. I am still hoping for at least 4/3 if not APS-Cs sized sensor.:)

Is it a joke? is it a joke? :what::what::what:

but to take a different perspective on things... if we don't see the point, then maybe its simply not meant for us? :bsmilie:

they have their mid-high end dslr range... last thing they want is a camera with a 4/3 or aps-c sensor cannibalising their dslr sales.

maybe they see more growth in the "low-end" market? with a digital 110-type product to appeal to less fussy new customers ;)

i'll just save my money then.

The cannibalising sales factor makes sense, I'm sure some of Sony's NEX sales would have come at the expense of their entry level DSLRS. I'm hoping this rumours aren't true though. Physics is physics and I'd be very surprised if this camera comes out with a sensor smaller than in my phone even!

Perhaps current Pentax marketing direction does not appeals to long time Pentaxians like us, but more on the profitable un-tap market consumer range where the revenue are!

it's a big marketing scheme i tell ya.

(I havnt own one of the mirrorless yet so kinda take this with a pinch of salt)
First they release a small body with kit lens.
body is decently good.

of course people want to buy it.. find that it is good.. but kit lens never that good..so they stick a adapter on and use SLR lenses.

some time later, when enough people felt funny/annoyed at having a small body with huge lens, no autofocus, the company will then release the good lenses for these mirrorless cams.

If they release body + good equivalent small lenses, the package will be very expensive.
So they release the body (still relatively high price) first.
get u guys to buy it
Then release good expensive lens.
by that time you will be willing to fork out the money for the smaller good lenses.

That is why some call these mirrorless systems EVIL...:devil::bsmilie:

Small high quality primes would be somewhat more affordable with the smaller sensor size. Hmm maybe Pentax is going after the market of high-end compacts and quirky indie cameras like Lomos and Polaroids? Combining both would indeed be a new direction few have taken

More from the site:

UPDATE: We just got the lens specs! There will be a prime 8.5mm f/1.9 (almost 50mm equivalent) and a zoom 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 (28-80mm equivalent)!

It seems odd that all that can fitted in is such a small sensor. Even the 110 was using 35mm film (ie. FF). The electronics takes space, but so did the film and film mechanisms.

See if the rumour is really true... (though oddly Kenko did announce a very simple C-mount mirrorless).

Commentary about the Pentax Mirrorles Rumours

Pairing a sensor more commonly found in point and shoot cameras with expensive interchangeable lenses doesn't make any sense at all. Might as well get an LX-5 or ZX-1.

May make sense to laymen ;)

but to take a different perspective on things... if we don't see the point, then maybe its simply not meant for us? :bsmilie:

they have their mid-high end dslr range... last thing they want is a camera with a 4/3 or aps-c sensor cannibalising their dslr sales.

maybe they see more growth in the "low-end" market? with a digital 110-type product to appeal to less fussy new customers ;)

i'll just save my money then.

I guess so. Probably targeted at laymen.
If the rumour is true, then I just hope Pentax/Hoya has played their marketing cards right.
Save my money for something else. :)

I guess so. Probably targeted at laymen.
If the rumour is true, then I just hope Pentax/Hoya has played their marketing cards right.
Save my money for something else. :)

exactly! the newbie / layman market is best penetrated with extensive marketing.

they better engage a good PR firm for that. cos this is a product that more advance users won't buy and newbies would tend to follow where the ads lead them. and the field is already saturated. :sweat:

It seems odd that all that can fitted in is such a small sensor. Even the 110 was using 35mm film (ie. FF). The electronics takes space, but so did the film and film mechanisms.

The 110 actually use the 110 format , if I am not wrong around size of m4/3 sensors. Just shot 1 roll of it and actually pretty grainy, think due to film condition, only had expired films haha

exactly! the newbie / layman market is best penetrated with extensive marketing.

they better engage a good PR firm for that. cos this is a product that more advance users won't buy and newbies would tend to follow where the ads lead them. and the field is already saturated. :sweat:

Yeah... like this I think CMI in S'pore where marketing is king (just like selling the emperor new clothes ;) )

Hopefully success in Japan and that popularity spills over to here.

The 110 actually use the 110 format , if I am not wrong around size of m4/3 sensors. Just shot 1 roll of it and actually pretty grainy, think due to film condition, only had expired films haha
Oh yeah. You are right. I totally forgot about the film format. :embrass:

any update? it's supposed to be released in feb 2011 rite? 4 days left :bsmilie: