NEW IPT. No More RT Requirement??? Do you think it helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think some ppl not happy with IPT :eek:

Will they be fit to defend the nation?

Possibly not, with the upcoming IPT programme Yes – if they're injury free

Weekend • October 28, 2006

Letter from Law Sin Ling
Letter from Chan Hean Boon

THE Second Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen said that being a conscript army, the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) depends on citizens "to make sure that we are a strong SAF", stressing that the "SAF places great emphasis on individual physical fitness" ("Unfit NSmen get a push-up for IPPT test", Oct 27)

The Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) has been the lynchpin of fitness assessment for the SAF since the formation of our armed forces.

Under the Remedial Training (RT) scheme, National Servicemen (NSmen) who do not pass their annual IPPT undergo a possible maximum of 20 three-hour sessions, during which they are offered three prospects to pass the IPPT.

However, with the IPPT Preparatory Training programme (IPT), the NSmen get 10 three-hour sessions at most, and one single attempt to pass the IPPT, failing which they will complete the programme with no further consequences.

The IPT programme hence effectively de-emphasises the attainment of the required level of fitness of a NSman as measured through the benchmark of the IPPT.

So, is the IPPT a relevant evaluation tool for an NSman's physical fitness after all? If it is, why has the need to pass IPPT been reduced in the new IPT programme? If it is not relevant, why is IPPT still retained?

One might think that IPT was conceived to kill two birds with one stone: Addressing the unmanageable number of RT participants overwhelming the Fitness and Conditioning Centres, and eliminating the cost of the SAF paying NSmen to perform RT.

I AGREE that for the SAF to be strong, every serviceman needs to be fit. However, I strongly feel it is time to review the assessment system of NSmen's general fitness and physical conditioning.

As we grow older, our bodies are not as nimble and flexible as they were when we were 18. We are more prone to injuries and take a longer time to recover — or worse, we may not even fully recover.

The current IPPT stations test various parts of an NSman's body. Unless you are a sporty person or fitness guru, it is very physically demanding and damaging to our joints. Our backs are especially at risk of slipping a disc.

I suggest the Ministry of Defence looks at options to minimise injuries among NSmen — in particular among those over 30 years old — while maintaining a certain level of general fitness among NSmen.

For instance, good stamina is crucial in times of war and training. Running is less likely to impact heavily on our joints provided you have a good pair of running shoes — thus, the 2.4km test station is important.

By focusing on just one or two critical test stations, we can channel our energy into building up and sustaining our fitness.

It could be that the RT program is not working and they are over-capacity, so rather than spend money to build more RT centres and paying servicemen for RT, they came up with IPT.

By the way, has anyone here actually done IPT yet? Would apprecaite some user reviews compared to RT.

Can't. If you already fail this year IPPT, you still need to clear your RT next year.
RT is for last year windoze mah, IPT is for the current year one.

Weekend • October 28, 2006

Letter from Law Sin Ling
Letter from Chan Hean Boon

THE Second Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen said that being a conscript army, the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) depends on citizens "to make sure that we are a strong SAF", stressing that the "SAF places great emphasis on individual physical fitness" ("Unfit NSmen get a push-up for IPPT test", Oct 27)

The Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) has been the lynchpin of fitness assessment for the SAF since the formation of our armed forces.

Under the Remedial Training (RT) scheme, National Servicemen (NSmen) who do not pass their annual IPPT undergo a possible maximum of 20 three-hour sessions, during which they are offered three prospects to pass the IPPT.

However, with the IPPT Preparatory Training programme (IPT), the NSmen get 10 three-hour sessions at most, and one single attempt to pass the IPPT, failing which they will complete the programme with no further consequences.

The IPT programme hence effectively de-emphasises the attainment of the required level of fitness of a NSman as measured through the benchmark of the IPPT.

So, is the IPPT a relevant evaluation tool for an NSman's physical fitness after all? If it is, why has the need to pass IPPT been reduced in the new IPT programme? If it is not relevant, why is IPPT still retained?

One might think that IPT was conceived to kill two birds with one stone: Addressing the unmanageable number of RT participants overwhelming the Fitness and Conditioning Centres, and eliminating the cost of the SAF paying NSmen to perform RT.

I AGREE that for the SAF to be strong, every serviceman needs to be fit. However, I strongly feel it is time to review the assessment system of NSmen's general fitness and physical conditioning.

As we grow older, our bodies are not as nimble and flexible as they were when we were 18. We are more prone to injuries and take a longer time to recover — or worse, we may not even fully recover.

The current IPPT stations test various parts of an NSman's body. Unless you are a sporty person or fitness guru, it is very physically demanding and damaging to our joints. Our backs are especially at risk of slipping a disc.

I suggest the Ministry of Defence looks at options to minimise injuries among NSmen — in particular among those over 30 years old — while maintaining a certain level of general fitness among NSmen.

For instance, good stamina is crucial in times of war and training. Running is less likely to impact heavily on our joints provided you have a good pair of running shoes — thus, the 2.4km test station is important.

By focusing on just one or two critical test stations, we can channel our energy into building up and sustaining our fitness.
Tok cork one lah.

How can IPPT be a gauge? Ever seen a gold IPPT pass person cannot complete even 8KM route march bo? While an entire obese company got no problems doing 24KM?

Crapper one lah. Ignore LOL. Dunnoe which idiot come out with some stupid IPPT R&R LOL.

Personally, I don't think it will work. I think it is a different in mentality problem. Did giving monetary award for passing IPPT work? I don't think so. Did RT work? I don't think so. Do you think IPT will work? Personally I don't think. Let wait and see. And if all things fail what is SAF going to come up next?

I don't think IPT is to cut cost for SAF. How much can SAF save as compare to the amount they are spending on upgrading the hardware and tranforming to 3G SAF? The time and manpower spend on IPT will be far more than the monetary saving.

It will be interesting if SAF can announce the annual passing rate of NSmen. My guess is we are doing ok. Maybe 60 - 65% passing rate. However I don't think 65% grade is good enough for SAF. Hence the reason for RT and now IPT.

Personally, I don't think it will work. I think it is a different in mentality problem. Did giving monetary award for passing IPPT work? I don't think so. Did RT work? I don't think so. Do you think IPT will work? Personally I don't think. Let wait and see. And if all things fail what is SAF going to come up next?

I don't think IPT is to cut cost for SAF. How much can SAF save as compare to the amount they are spending on upgrading the hardware and tranforming to 3G SAF? The time and manpower spend on IPT will be far more than the monetary saving.

It will be interesting if SAF can announce the annual passing rate of NSmen. My guess is we are doing ok. Maybe 60 - 65% passing rate. However I don't think 65% grade is good enough for SAF. Hence the reason for RT and now IPT.
IPT was meant to work LOL but not the way IPPT and RT is... LOL.

Waiting for IPPT to be scrapped, lousy stupid waste of time tests. LOL.

SAF 3G my foot... LOL.

Think again, it will save compared to NOT having IPT - if the person would fail anyway, he would cost them at least the same (if just Phase 1) if not more (if Phase 2). They would save both in servicemen pay, as well as having to have sufficient facilities for 20 (instead of 10) sessions of RT/IPT.

hummm.....

can get out of office early not a bad idea...haha.nevermind about the no make up pay thing.....if not everday need to work OT till nutssssss

haha.....

No ippt is d BEST :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I rather pay the govt what they are paying me if they say I dont need to attend IPPT :p Heck, I'm even willing to pay then 2x since it is such a pittance :p

hummm.....

can get out of office early not a bad idea...haha.nevermind about the no make up pay thing.....if not everday need to work OT till nutssssss

haha.....

Spending on 3G and IPPT is 2 different matters. I have a feeling this idea spawned from some wise guy's WITs or USMS. If you look at the figures, the amount savings is huge. We are talking about % here.

Serviceman pay of $10 per session of RT for 20 sessions is $200. Compared to paying $0.
5 servicemen will be $1000 savings.. with the hoards of RT attendees, that will be some major savings. Sure to get WITs gold standard. Why will it work? ppl who attend most probably already know that they have a chance of failing, so might as well go for IPT and save on the RT. Since the timing is better and less sessions to attend.

Yeap, other than serviceman pay, there's also costs to run the RT centres and/or expand existing capacity if overloaded.

Sure or not ? I only train up when my IPPT window is near. For the rest of the year, I am not fit one hor.

Anyway, pass or fail when war comes, still have to fight.

I find not enuff time
1) Have to work long hours for our job.
2) Be a good husband and father. Take care of family. Spend quality time with kidz inorder to educate them properly
3) Train up regularly so tat can be fit to protect nation
4) Upgrade our skills so tat can keep up with society and technology.

i have gone thru IPT @ bedok in early oct before it's official launch.
the group size is around 20-30 ppl, about 99% all went for IPT so that the next yr no need to go RT. it's really good for those RT regulars like me.

training wise, it's more specified. 1st lesson go there and take a mock ippt test. then 8th session the final ippt test.

based on the group 1st test result, they will come up will some training programs. as my group is weak in chin up, standing board jump and running, so the rest of the lessons (lesson 2 to lesson 7) , we did 2 gym lessons, pull up, some running and jumping.

consider more relax than the rt sessions. the only disadvantage to me is start late, end late. those in rt will leave about 30-45 earlier than us.

highly recommend for rt regulars..

siao liao.. for those who cannot run 2.4km like me will only go there to run and run and run... :sweatsm:

maxteo98

My group is more or less the same as your case but bigger group. Chin Up and Running are also our weakess stations too.

Actually I think it is more "siong" than RT but times seem to pass very quickly. For me, the start time is quite ok as I normally knock off at 5.30pm. If RT, sometime have to take cab down.

siao liao.. for those who cannot run 2.4km like me will only go there to run and run and run... :sweatsm:

No lah. Because your group is likely to have other people who fails in other stations so you will join them for the training too. But when come to running, they will issue the heart rate monitor for all to check their heart rate while running.

I gather from news reports and user reviews here that IPT is more siong than RT? Anyone took IPT and RT before in the same FCC can verify this?

Anyone took IPT at Maju before? :)

John Teoh your IPT at where?

Status
Not open for further replies.