New in DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

shlfter

Aug 16, 2005
AMK
www.pbase.com
Hi, I have just recently switched to a DSLR Nikon D100. I have taken some photos but i find that my photos are using a very low shutter speed for pictures. Can any experts give me some comments on the pictures i have taken? My gallery is at www.pbase.com/willdon/donald. the range of my shutter speed is around 1/6 secs to 1/15 secs at iso 1000 for night shots. :sweat:

that depends on your aperture.... you using A mode rite... try to open up your aperture & see.. and night time normally need a longer time to expose...

shlfter said:
Hi, I have just recently switched to a DSLR Nikon D100. I have taken some photos but i find that my photos are using a very low shutter speed for pictures. Can any experts give me some comments on the pictures i have taken? My gallery is at www.pbase.com/willdon/donald. the range of my shutter speed is around 1/6 secs to 1/15 secs at iso 1000 for night shots. :sweat:

You will probably need a tripod (for longer exposure to reduce camera shake) or flash (Short distance subjects) or a faster lens (Aperture f/1.4 or f/1.8 ?) in the night time.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
that depends on your aperture.... you using A mode rite... try to open up your aperture & see.. and night time normally need a longer time to expose...

actually at low aperture, it will give u a clearer picture right? so mostly i will stick to f4.5 to f8 depending on distance of the object. sometimes i also try to use at manual mode instead becoz at A mode it dun really give u a bright image of the object. sometimes the shutter speed gets too low n will cause handshake. :D

majere2sg said:
You will probably need a tripod (for longer exposure to reduce camera shake) or flash (Short distance subjects) or a faster lens (Aperture f/1.4 or f/1.8 ?) in the night time.

thanks for the advice. I was trying to get the max quality outta my 18 - 70 mm lens n the best aperture i can get is at f4.5 with 70mm focus. So i guess all i can do is just to adjust the shutter speed but it seems that using a D70 the shutter speed is so much difference compared to a D100. :dunno:

shlfter said:
actually at low aperture, it will give u a clearer picture right? so mostly i will stick to f4.5 to f8 depending on distance of the object. sometimes i also try to use at manual mode instead becoz at A mode it dun really give u a bright image of the object. sometimes the shutter speed gets too low n will cause handshake. :D

Smaller aperture does gives u a deeper depth of field than a larger one. More of your subject and background will be in focus (less blurred out). Depending on some lens, they might be soft wide open, so you may need to stop down to smaller aperture. But with small aperture, you will have slower shutter speed and that can cause camera shake if it is too slow. When u use manual mode and try to set a faster shutter speed than in Aperture priority mode (Same aperture settings for both mode), you may get a underexposed picture.

majere2sg said:
Smaller aperture does gives u a deeper depth of field than a larger one. More of your subject and background will be in focus (less blurred out). Depending on some lens, they might be soft wide open, so you may need to stop down to smaller aperture. But with small aperture, you will have slower shutter speed and that can cause camera shake if it is too slow. When u use manual mode and try to set a faster shutter speed than in Aperture priority mode (Same aperture settings for both mode), you may get a underexposed picture.

maybe u can view my gallery n give me some comments on some of the photos taken in the 2nd page of the random shots @ www.pbase.com/willdon. I tried to focus some of the shots at the subject with spot n did it at a f/4.5. just weird that my fren can take the same kind of picture at 1/60 - 1/30 whereas i need to take it at 1/30 - 1/10. Is it becoz of different kind of camera? different curves? btw i am using A for my AWB whereas my fren is using custom curves. sorry for all the wrong term used if i said it wrongly :embrass:

Check with your friend that you are both using the same metering mode.
That might account for the difference.

Your exif says centre-weighted, perhaps your friend was using spot or matrix.

shlfter said:
maybe u can view my gallery n give me some comments on some of the photos taken in the 2nd page of the random shots @ www.pbase.com/willdon. I tried to focus some of the shots at the subject with spot n did it at a f/4.5. just weird that my fren can take the same kind of picture at 1/60 - 1/30 whereas i need to take it at 1/30 - 1/10. Is it becoz of different kind of camera? different curves? btw i am using A for my AWB whereas my fren is using custom curves. sorry for all the wrong term used if i said it wrongly :embrass:
Ermm.... using the same iso?

Status
Not open for further replies.