New HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
I just boughht a new 40Gig HDD and am trying to install it.

I'm running WinXP Professional, with a Aus A7V mobo.

Currently, the HDD has been installed and plugged into the IDE cables propely wit the jumpers all set. Under Admin Tools, where i am trying to install the new HDD, the drive shows up on the bottom panel, but not the top.

It's stated as "unallocated". Any attempt to partition/format the drive is met by the error msg, "did not complete format successfully".

Any there anyway i can go about installing my HDD?

Kindly advise.

Originally posted by Zoomer
Creating a FAT* Partition? Try using NTFS instead.

Quite difficult rite? Esp his master harddrive is already FAT32? ;P

Wolf: Backup everything and reformat all harddisks into NTFS better :)

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh

Quite difficult rite? Esp his master harddrive is already FAT32? ;P

Wolf: Backup everything and reformat all harddisks into NTFS better :)

what?

don't want lah... :(

Is there no other way? :cry:

NTFS is better in WinXP as you won't have to scan your Disk Drive everytime u shutdown uncleanly.

Wolf: u use fdisk and get the error?

Originally posted by Klause
NTFS is better in WinXP as you won't have to scan your Disk Drive everytime u shutdown uncleanly.

Wolf: u use fdisk and get the error?

Nope.. i use Fdisk to format only.

I get that error in WinXp... :( :confused: :cry:

I suggest you get a win98 bootable diskette and copy fdisk.exe and format.com into the diskette.

Boot up using the diskette and fdisk the HDD to your liking (create 1 primary partition and the rest of the space for the secondary partition, then create the logical partitions in the secondary partitions).

After that, reboot back into your winxp and check your partitions, should be working liao. Go to disk manager and set the primary partition of your new HDD to active ("Mark partition as active" in Disk Management).

Status
Not open for further replies.