new around town

I got a frenz who is very stingy and wants to get a new camera to replace his Canon 350D. I recommend him the KR which is on sales at Sitex @$699. In the end, he never buy and the reasons he gave was because he think Pentax stuffs are difficult to find and he also thinks Pentax external flashes cannot make it..

The actual Pentax flash units themselves are ok, if a little expensive, but the P-TTL system is indeed a little bit on the cannot-make-it side. But I do have confidence that Pentax will get around to fixing it.

alright. understand why the hype about canon and nikon already.
i just feel that the price is just too ex.
really cant afford in the long run.

anyway set my sights on the k-r already.
gonna get this week or next.
wish me luck!

another reason is that i wanna take indoor.
so i really liked the high iso, low light capabilities which i read about.

based on ur own feedback, just wanna know more about the noise level in high iso.

Last edited:
You can read FW's hands-on with KR, you should be able to find your answers there. I used to own the KX which is very good in high ISO. The KR is supposed to be on par or slightly better..

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778924

another reason is that i wanna take indoor.
so i really liked the high iso, low light capabilities which i read about.

based on ur own feedback, just wanna know more about the noise level in high iso.

Last edited:
one advantage of having a coloured camera is that some pple will come up to you and say "hey, nice camera". And a topic is created between 2 strangers.
=)

hmm..
did my homework and most likely heading on with a k-r.

btw why do ppl always suggest that pentax is average?

and how is the pentax/thirdparty lens market in singapore?

Pentax is anything but average. It is class leading.

But well let those canikoner continue with their "high class" camera. I rather enjoy having something different.

one advantage of having a coloured camera is that some pple will come up to you and say "hey, nice camera". And a topic is created between 2 strangers.
=)

This is so true. I lost count how many people came up to me and said, "Cool camera dude. What brand is that? Pentax you say??"

ok cool.
btw, wanna check pricing with a few shops. just wanna know who do i look for when i contact the,.
like mscolor & slr-rev.
do john3:16 sell pentax?

ok cool.
btw, wanna check pricing with a few shops. just wanna know who do i look for when i contact the,.
like mscolor & slr-rev.
do john3:16 sell pentax?

MS Color - Mr/Mrs Loh
Alan Photo
T K Foto
Cathay Photo
Orient Photo - Stanley
SLR Revolution -Jason/Ray/Han Wei
Manly - Mr Quek

NOT John 3:16 -> They are Canikon

MS Color - Mr/Mrs Loh
Alan Photo
T K Foto
Cathay Photo
Orient Photo - Stanley
SLR Revolution -Jason/Ray/Han Wei
Manly - Mr Quek

NOT John 3:16 -> They are Canikon

thanks thanks!:kiss:

after im getting this cam i would most likely be bringing it overseas to phuket. but what im afraid is that since most of the resorts is located near the sea.
will putting the camera near the beach affect the lens or body? (i read from somewhere about the salt water and the air)
if yes, how do i protect it?
how do i maintain it?

Saltwater and sand are both very bad for the camera and lens. Saltwater can be avoided but the wind will deposit sand on your lens when you are by the beach. A filter can be useful here, a blower to clear away sand will also be useful. Avoid leaving it on an open spot, like on a beach chair by the beach for long, as the wind may drop a LOT of sand on it. Also check your bag for sand before you put your camera in. Check your lens cap also.

But don't be afraid to bring it to the beach for fear of damage. Just be careful and check your lens and body for sand before you wipe it or clean it, the risk is small if you are careful.

i just came back from langkawi..wat i did was to put my cam inside a ziplock bag when i not using it and put the whole thing into another bag

i just came back from langkawi..wat i did was to put my cam inside a ziplock bag when i not using it and put the whole thing into another bag

Thats good advice. I'm headed to NZ soon and hoping to take some good shots there near the lakes and all. Will heed your advice.

after im getting this cam i would most likely be bringing it overseas to phuket. but what im afraid is that since most of the resorts is located near the sea.
will putting the camera near the beach affect the lens or body? (i read from somewhere about the salt water and the air)
how do i maintain it?

Another piece of advice i read from a book: change lens elsewhere, maybe in a car, somewhere less dusty. This will help prevent dust or sand particles from entering your camera.

Saltwater and sand are both very bad for the camera and lens. Saltwater can be avoided but the wind will deposit sand on your lens when you are by the beach. A filter can be useful here, a blower to clear away sand will also be useful. Avoid leaving it on an open spot, like on a beach chair by the beach for long, as the wind may drop a LOT of sand on it. Also check your bag for sand before you put your camera in. Check your lens cap also.

But don't be afraid to bring it to the beach for fear of damage. Just be careful and check your lens and body for sand before you wipe it or clean it, the risk is small if you are careful.

wokay. my fren told me to wrap the whole thing in plastic and just leave the lens protruding out. haha. will look out for a filter and a cleaning kit then. how much does it usually cost for a cleaning kit?

Thats good advice. I'm headed to NZ soon and hoping to take some good shots there near the lakes and all. Will heed your advice.

post some pics. heh.

Another piece of advice i read from a book: change lens elsewhere, maybe in a car, somewhere less dusty. This will help prevent dust or sand particles from entering your camera.

thanks. will do it ur way.

wokay. my fren told me to wrap the whole thing in plastic and just leave the lens protruding out. haha. will look out for a filter and a cleaning kit then. how much does it usually cost for a cleaning kit?

:bsmilie: thats cute. or you could bring a small towel and use it to cover / wrap the camera / dust off sand.

i think its more natural to see pple carry a towel on the beach than to carry a camera all wrapped in plastic ;)

cleaning kit, just get a good blower like the giottos rocket blower and a lens pen. avoid the cheapo set that contains brush, spectacle cloth and cheap blower. waste money.

:bsmilie: thats cute. or you could bring a small towel and use it to cover / wrap the camera / dust off sand.

i think its more natural to see pple carry a towel on the beach than to carry a camera all wrapped in plastic ;)

cleaning kit, just get a good blower like the giottos rocket blower and a lens pen. avoid the cheapo set that contains brush, spectacle cloth and cheap blower. waste money.

alright. will do. and agree with u about the towel. imagine how will i look like with a plastic on my cam. like auntie collecting coke cans. hahha.

im soo excited. i cant even stop looking at the 2nd hand market for lens.

how do i maintain it?

Hi, I was in Phuket last March for 4 days just after I got my Red K-x. I went unprotected and the camera came back with no corrosion or sands. Went snorkeling and spend some time on the beach as well. Sorry dude, I don't see the point of carrying the camera if you gonna protect it with plastic bags and towels, then use your phone camera or PnS camera to shoot if you are afraid of what a little salt air and sand will do to you DSLR.

You should have considered the K-7 or K-5 for the WR body instead if you are worried by these factors, anyway we are living on an island and surrounded by the sea, salt water, sand and dust are unavoidable even if you are shooting at Marina Bay.

Hi, I was in Phuket last March for 4 days just after I got my Red K-x. I went unprotected and the camera came back with no corrosion or sands. Went snorkeling and spend some time on the beach as well. Sorry dude, I don't see the point of carrying the camera if you gonna protect it with plastic bags and towels, then use your phone camera or PnS camera to shoot if you are afraid of what a little salt air and sand will do to you DSLR.

You should have considered the K-7 or K-5 for the WR body instead if you are worried by these factors, anyway we are living on an island and surrounded by the sea, salt water, sand and dust are unavoidable even if you are shooting at Marina Bay.

like wad u said its just a worry. and im just asking to clear my doubts. thanks for the first hand experience anyway.

btw. ur red k-r is a kit I or II?