new around town

Hi, I was in Phuket last March for 4 days just after I got my Red K-x. I went unprotected and the camera came back with no corrosion or sands. Went snorkeling and spend some time on the beach as well. Sorry dude, I don't see the point of carrying the camera if you gonna protect it with plastic bags and towels, then use your phone camera or PnS camera to shoot if you are afraid of what a little salt air and sand will do to you DSLR.

You should have considered the K-7 or K-5 for the WR body instead if you are worried by these factors, anyway we are living on an island and surrounded by the sea, salt water, sand and dust are unavoidable even if you are shooting at Marina Bay.

sorry but i think there's nothing wrong if pple want to take reasonable precautions to protect their equipment because you are certainly not going to be paying for the repairs if they take your advise and end up damaging their DSLRs. :nono:

even for WR bodies and lenses, the WR is for peace of mind and protection from environment outside of normal operating conditions. not for us to tempt fate with.

I think the point is that you shouldn't let your fear of your camera getting damaged prevent you from actually bringing it to the beach and using it. The risk of damage is small if you look after your camera and take some basic precautions. Don't buy a camera and just leave it inside the dry cabinet all the time.

sorry but i think there's nothing wrong if pple want to take reasonable precautions to protect their equipment because you are certainly not going to be paying for the repairs if they take your advise and end up damaging their DSLRs. :nono:

even for WR bodies and lenses, the WR is for peace of mind and protection from environment outside of normal operating conditions. not for us to tempt fate with.

I'm sorry, I'm not advising, what I have stated is my opinion so TS don't have to take it upon my posting as the absolute solution, as there are many others that post their opinion as well. I didn't also say it's wrong that he wants to protect or take precautionary if he wish too, perhaps what I post is best summarize below:-

I think the point is that you shouldn't let your fear of your camera getting damaged prevent you from actually bringing it to the beach and using it. The risk of damage is small if you look after your camera and take some basic precautions. Don't buy a camera and just leave it inside the dry cabinet all the time.

Thanks CorneliusK, you are spot on!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
no la. i wont bring it to the extreme of not even bringing out the cam. den wad for i buy it.
i just so happened to read it somewhere that this kind of damage happens. so just wanna know more.

its alright man. just at that moment when i read it i felt how come u go one big round den shoot me back. heh.
its cool la. =]

Hi all, I just bought a pentax K-r today, as I was playing around taking some pictures at home, I notice that each time when i turn the K-r either clockwise or anti-clockwise from landscape position to portrait, i can hear a sound coming from inside the body as if something had loosen, don't know if any K-r owner had this problem?

Hi all, I just bought a pentax K-r today, as I was playing around taking some pictures at home, I notice that each time when i turn the K-r either clockwise or anti-clockwise from landscape position to portrait, i can hear a sound coming from inside the body as if something had loosen, don't know if any K-r owner had this problem?

its normal.. its the sensor i think.
you can go to the menu and try dust cleaning. you will know what is moving inside.

haha..imagine u are walking along the beach with your cam and suddenly this wave come and hit you..this is why u need a ziplock bag ;) :bsmilie:

5246831890_b26e4e7bb4_z.jpg

Yup try it and you are right, is the sensor that is moving. thanks.

I took this shot some time ago with the camera just inches above the water with my non-WR Pentax with DA 16-45mm. Water was up to my neck. And yes a small wave did splash a little salt water on the camera body. Just poured some drinking water on a towel and wiped it dry. So what's the problem? Use your camera to the fullest.

Tropical1.jpg

ok bought one already and feeling good about it.

how do i know if a lens need a k-mount adapter.
usually if the lens put eg. 50mm 1.7 k-mount means i dont need an adapter?

sorry im quite confused on this.

how do i know if a lens need a k-mount adapter.
usually if the lens put eg. 50mm 1.7 k-mount means i dont need an adapter?

sorry im quite confused on this.

If the lens is Pentax k-mount or bayonet mount, then you're fine. If it says screw mount or M42, then you need an adaptor. If you're looking at Pentax lenses, then anything from the K, M, F, A, FA, DA series are all fine.

If the lens is Pentax k-mount or bayonet mount, then you're fine. If it says screw mount or M42, then you need an adaptor. If you're looking at Pentax lenses, then anything from the K, M, F, A, FA, DA series are all fine.

thank you. understand this topic much better now.

how do i get to manly. cos i keep finding different addresses all the time.

Hi shutter speed, may i know where did you get your K-r? I have been looking around for the white Kr but couldnt find a single piece at funan. Would be great if you can share :) thanks