NEW Airplane DSLR on board policy?

haring

Nov 4, 2010
What is your experience with the new Airplane DSLR on board policy for certain airliners which fly towards middle east, etc.

I am flying to Europe via Turkey with Turkish Airlines. As per the new security policy, I can't have my DSLR, laptops in possession. They keep everything in a bag and will be given back to the passengers at the end of the flight.

What is your experience? Do they take the DSLR with all the lenses or they take the body only and I can keep the lenses in my carry on bag? Obviously, I want to give them less as possible.

Please share your experience!

Thanks!

What is your experience with the new Airplane DSLR on board policy for certain airliners which fly towards middle east, etc.

I am flying to Europe via Turkey with Turkish Airlines. As per the new security policy, I can't have my DSLR, laptops in possession. They keep everything in a bag and will be given back to the passengers at the end of the flight.

What is your experience? Do they take the DSLR with all the lenses or they take the body only and I can keep the lenses in my carry on bag? Obviously, I want to give them less as possible.

Please share your experience!

Thanks!

I need a camera and must be smaller than my phone!

Think you may want to separate the body(electronics) for checked baggage from the lenses for carry on bag....

and extra body caps....

I would contact Turkish Airlines for a response, given that you are their customer, they are obliged to provide you with a proper reply. That said, regardless of their official response, still be prepared for the 'worst' i.e., having to check everything, as we all know, what is practiced on the ground can sometimes differ from official policy due to poor communications or whatever reason.

Now that more is known about the electronics ban and how the policies will be implemented, I reached out to representatives from Emirates and Etihad directly. Their replies suggest that there’s some hope you could carry on camera lenses — but definitely not electronic camera bodies.

An Emirates representative (and apparently an avid photographer) answered:

“I checked with Airport Service Security, who advises that they have to pack the camera body (when above the max size, which most DSLRs are), but you can carry lenses onto the aircraft. As many people travel without the camera body cap and lens cap, they can pack the whole camera and lens if preferred. As a keen photographer and owner of one of those expensive lenses, I’m happy, as I would always prefer to keep my lens with me…”

Etihad was a little more cautious — but in line with its earlier tweet:

“There are no restrictions on camera lenses as far as we are aware, but I would encourage you to check directly with the US authorities, as they will always have the most up-to-date information.”

Either way, this is better than an outright “no” — and it is clear that the airlines are concerned about customers’ belongings — but any photographer should be planning for a worst-case scenario with a plan to check his or her gear.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/protecting-cameras-electronics-ban/

Found a blogpost detailing the experience - http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/04/19/guide-electronics-ban-turkish-airlines/

Most importantly, ensure everything's insured.

I will never ever check in my camera and lens ... especially if I am heading to the US
If i have to check in my camera and lens then I rather not go to that destination or simply carry a small cheap camera instead.

Reactions: Nikonzen
Oh no! It is the boogey man!!! And today DT's man said something about even more rules for flights into conus...when no one wants to fly anymore and those 'great' American air line companies, travel agencies, and tourist barons start losing all kinds of money we'll see how that all goes over. Next up...cruise liners.

To borrow the words of a drunk cigar chomping statesman..."The only thing to fear is fear itself."

The terror boys winning yet again.

The ban for flights into the US on Emerites Airlines and Turkish Airlines was lifted yesterday as they are applying new increased security checks. What those increased checks are I have no idea...

It was interesting Turkish advised that in the 102days of the ban they hand packed 81736 devices at the gates : 75% were PC/tablet with 25% cameras, GPS, or ebook readers. Must have been a huge pain...

My latest read is that the problem has to do with using a lithium battery as an ignition device. Anyone hear anything about this? From the track record with lithium batteries it does indeed look as if they could make for great blasting caps.