NEW 300D firmware hack, ISO3200, MLU, focusing selectable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nightwolf, that is NORMAL.. H is the same behaviour as with 10D.

I'm not installing this firmware yet though, no need any of the features, wait for next one...

loupgarou said:

I'm not installing this firmware yet though, no need any of the features, wait for next one...

hey, thanks for clearing that up for me! :D

loupgarou said:

H means hot??? the CMOS screaming too hot liao!.. :bsmilie:

Just want to share a info of mine colleague who just buys his office eos300d not too along ago, installs the hack firmware and bring out the camera to worksite to take some shoots and comes back up with constant error 99 messages. Take out the battery and lens to reboot overnight but message still appearing. He takes to repair in a hurry cos he is scared the boss will scold him but forget to re-install in the origin firmware. Got a call said the warranty is void with illegal firmware and refuses to repair even after install back the origin firmware. within warranty period. Now this guy has to buy a new body to replace in case he gets into trouble with the company. Not worth the trouble to play around with illegal software when something is going to happen to the camera is the moral of the storey.

Arx said:
Agree... if your 300D warr almost up, it's worth the hack.. because MLU really cool and some other add fuctions are cool too.
But if you just bought a 300D like me 2months ago, better revert back to original firmware.. ;p
But I did try the hack firmware it works :thumbsup:

Jason H0 said:
Just want to share a info of mine colleague who just buys his office eos300d not too along ago, installs the hack firmware and bring out the camera to worksite to take some shoots and comes back up with constant error 99 messages. Take out the battery and lens to reboot overnight but message still appearing. He takes to repair in a hurry cos he is scared the boss will scold him but forget to re-install in the origin firmware. Got a call said the warranty is void with illegal firmware and refuses to repair even after install back the origin firmware. within warranty period. Now this guy has to buy a new body to replace in case he gets into trouble with the company. Not worth the trouble to play around with illegal software when something is going to happen to the camera is the moral of the storey.

Interesting. I offer to buy the broken cam from him, if it is up for sale. :D

Jason H0 said:

OMG... :eek:

anyway, i tested the hack. works just fine. but, will be switching over to the original firmware soon. the FEC function can be set with another software. just dat its not as flexible as the hack. as for the AF funct, to me its just good to have. perhaps when the hack firmware is confirmed, will upload again!

Jason H0 said:

Hi again,

I did a search on dpreview forum and came across an interesting article on the error 99 thingy. Apparently, (according to some users) this error is associated with a failed electromagnet in the cam that prevents the shutter from reacting properly. Initially, the error pops up occassionally. Then it became a constant. Shutter counts is around 5-10k. It may be an inherent problem with the piece of electromagnet that is being used in controlling the shutter, nothing to do with the firmware.

That said, I must concede that some readings on the LCD under the custom function tab may sometimes appear incorrectly. No big deal.

I think i'd stick to getting a 550EX flash to do the FEC for me... hehe... better not risk it...

Jason H0 said:

Why on earth does he do it with the company camera?? :dunno: You wouldn't modify the company van, would you? No sympathy from me, he's just plain dumb.
Moral of the story is.....don't muck about with things that don't belong to you, just asking for trouble. Firmware hack...that's a different story.

AReality said:
One Shot --- Once focused, will not refocus while the trigger is 1/2 pressed.
AI Servo --- Will continue focusing/tracking the subject. (Good for sports, or for moving subjects.)
AI Focus AF --- The camera choses any 1 of the above as it wishes.

MLU --- Mirror goes up 1st, waits a while, then shutter opens. This reduces blurred images due to camera shake when the mirror goes up & causes vibration. useful for shutter speed ard 1/60 to ard 1sec.

Hi, i donno where i got this impression, but i thought when 300D is in SPORTS mode, the camera will keep tracking the subject, and its sounds like the AI Servo mode. Does that mean 300D already have the AI Servo mode, but is activated only in sports mode?
Correct my doubt pls

asdfasdfadsf said:
Hi, i donno where i got this impression, but i thought when 300D is in SPORTS mode, the camera will keep tracking the subject, and its sounds like the AI Servo mode. Does that mean 300D already have the AI Servo mode, but is activated only in sports mode?
Correct my doubt pls
Yes, sports mode has AI Servo mode only...

nickmak said:
Yes, sports mode has AI Servo mode only...

That means the 300D has AI Servo mode installed but being disabled. Therefore the hack is to enable (re-activate) those features which were locked by Canon.

Eyeing for the metering now.... :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

:thumbsup:

Is there a dummy guide on how to install the firmware in my camera? This is the first time I've heard of a hack firmware, and I'm quite keen to try....

richardkwan said:
Is there a dummy guide on how to install the firmware in my camera? This is the first time I've heard of a hack firmware, and I'm quite keen to try....

yes yes...step into a shop and upgrade to a 10d! it's not worth it if your camera is new...(since this is ur 1st post, i guess u've jus bought ur camera..:dunno:)

this is more singapore's lack of consumer protection, in other countries, the onus is to prove that
a) the hacked firmware caused the malfunction, then only you can deny warranty.

in anycase, why can't they just repair the damm thing with cost?

richardkwan said:

Go here for the instructions..

Agree not to play around if your baby is a newly borned. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Anyway, it works fine for me... :D

Just want to share this trick I copied from somewhere. Anyone ever try it? Sounds like we can have both the custom function and the warrantee :) here it goes :-

Thanks for that - good point. Here's a roundup:
* I installed Wasia and set the C.fn so that RAW files are smaller.

* Reflashed to the canon authentic firmware LEAVING THE C.FN SET (hence file sizes are still smaller - sorry for shouting)

* If I ever get Err99, I can remove both batteries so that the C.fn goes back to its original setting, red eye stops blinking, then ship it back to Canon.

So I have my smaller RAW sizes, and I'm safely covered by canon. Nice.

gallax wrote:
> > cdyson37 wrote:
> > > Another question - I just reflashed to the original 1.1.1.1, but I
> > > left the RAW c.fn to the lowest quality, so that the red eye still
> > > blinks. Will canon take it back for repair?
> >
> If you remove both batteries (the main battery AND the clock
> battery) for more than 10 minutes, all custom settings (including
> owner name, I suppose) will be gone... And the blinking red eye too!
> Have phun!

Jason H0 said:
1) put all of the CF to the origin 300D settings:

2) see red-eye-reduction icon is no longer blinks

3) pc format the card using PC.

4) put in origin firmware

5) on camera switch

The above works. To feel safe... I stay back with the original firmware :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.