Network for photographers' assistants

hellrock said:
hi all,
i quit my last job 2 yrs and jump into photography out of passion. till now still looking lobang to be a PA to any photographer. I've done my own event and wedding but feel that i need to learn from the true pros. anybody out willing to give a guy some exposure on how to be a PA will be much appreciated. :)

approach directly the photographers you admire and want to learn from. even if there is no vacancy now, leave them your resume and contact no with them. or get in touch with them from time to time to show your enthusiam.

being a photographer's assistant doesn't necessarily mean working with a top class fashion/celebrity photographer. it can also mean less glamourous and more physical work like carrying lights and equips for a commercial photographer, setting them up on location, in studio etc. usually you are the last down the line, in terms of creativity. the photographer will be the one interacting with the client or art director, or talents, if any. you are there to facilitate the shooting process...basically doing everything that is required to make the image, photographically. if you are on a big shoot, you have more assistants to share the load. usually, the case is, you are the one person pushing the trolley containing bags or cases of lighting, 1 lightstand bag slung over ur shoulder and tripod over your other shoulder, following the photographer as you move from location to location. sounds tough? you bet. trying pushing all that stuff while moving up or down an escalator.

any more horror stories to share?? lol

not to mention, all the manual work involved eg. painting, moving set pieces, going to ikea to shop for things, modifying things for use, waking up at 4am for a early shoot or a late night shoot, etc.

you can see for yourself the nature of the job but, it can be thoroughly satisfying if you have the right motivation.

Everything above sounds ok to me, you got to give before you receive man... except the wake up at 4AM thing... my goodness... I am such a pig in the mornings!!!

welcome TheRecorder, our latest member to the network. my email is stereobox@hotmail.com

he's a wedding day photographer, so he's one more option to look at if you are looking for one.

cheers

zig said:
oh geoff ang, mark law please look my way
i'll work for you night and day
oh russell, wee khim please take me in
i'll slog and toil without a din
oh charlie lim benny ang please employ me!
i'll work for you a little less than free..

end of the day..i ask wheres my pay?
"sorry dont have any..have a nice day!" :bsmilie:
AMEN

The poem is very nice and not to mention...very funny.

As Mark would do...squint his eyes, whip out his ciggy, light and take a long drag. :D

Tats one of the most memorable skill i learnt from him, besides many other precious stuff. :devil:

I used to be an assistant, but now im in a full time job, so i guess im out of action for the time being, but i do assist my friend Amos once in awhile...so im still considered an assistant? :p :blah:

Charlotte, u here too?

ehhh...brother....share share your experience with us leh

Stereobox said:
ehhh...brother....share share your experience with us leh

Nothing to impart....mostly common sense...this is wat i learnt....ALL photographers (well...those i assist b4) would expect u to be "Seh Mok" (in cantonese, in photographer speak : try to be attentive, anticipate problems, solve everything successfully if can, dun wait for the photographer to open his mouth...juz be smart, dun be lazy but be hardworking, dun mind ot for no pay...etc etc, basically mostly common sense) :thumbsup:

Being an assistant is a very tough job, u learn to be humble, to be responsive, understand basics in studio photography better.
I was once juz a student, lazy, blur, prone to accidents, dun even know how a lightmeter works or take light readings (serious!). :blah:

Don't juz stick to one photographer, assist as many as you can, learn their different styles. If you are new, try helping those new photographers or lower profile photographers gain some experience, get a good reputation.

I bow to those assistants who are much much more experienced than me (some even know more than the photographers). :sweat:

Never be too proud or you will soon find out they are avoiding hiring you coz of a bad reputation.....word get around pretty fast. :)
:nono:

I fully agree with what sbs99 said. To all PAs out there, hang on if you can. To those who are waiting to become PAs, the wait won't be too long bcos most PAs don't hang on for too long. :bsmilie:

not entirely true...although the attrition rate is rather high, but there are those who hang on for donkey years before stepping out on their own, lol! that's what separates those who are seriously intent on going into this line, and those who are disillusioned by the 'glamour' lol

Stereobox said:
not entirely true...although the attrition rate is rather high, but there are those who hang on for donkey years before stepping out on their own, lol! that's what separates those who are seriously intent on going into this line, and those who are disillusioned by the 'glamour' lol

tats true too. i know frens who been doing freelance for years....although its not a stable job...but $ is good. More exp = more $.

:bsmilie:

i agree with the unstable income part ... but good money? guess i have been working for the wrong people man...lol!

Stereobox said:
i agree with the unstable income part ... but good money? guess i have been working for the wrong people man...lol!

lol
wat i meant was after you had helped afew photographers before (not those 1 day jobs), photographers may pay you more according to the exp u have. (but keep in mind most will expect a certain standard they paying u, if not more...lol)
:blah:

I have colleagues who hanged on for some time and still hanging on. But the weird thing about them is that they don't really seem to love photography but for the sake of earning a living. Hopefully, I shall never come to a stage where I work as a PA for the sake of serving the photographer and lost all love for photography because I entered this trade in the first place out of love for photography. I would rather choose not to be a PA and starve myself to death than not to shoot what I want with my camera. :devil:

Yezrah said:
I have colleagues who hanged on for some time and still hanging on. But the weird thing about them is that they don't really seem to love photography but for the sake of earning a living. Hopefully, I shall never come to a stage where I work as a PA for the sake of serving the photographer and lost all love for photography because I entered this trade in the first place out of love for photography. I would rather choose not to be a PA and starve myself to death than not to shoot what I want with my camera. :devil:

Tats why i stopped...got a stable job instead...but still with time able to pursue abit of photography.....well...it seems tat im more in love with advertising than photography....juz no chance to work in that area. hehe

eaststarz Cover Looks looking for junior photographer (training provided). for those looking to step into glamour/make-over or even fashion photography, do give them a call 6733-5833, if that's your cup of tea.

this thread is also open to all make-up artistes, stylists, aspiring photographers and whatnots of all ages and experience. most important thing is you have something to share with us :)

zig said:
oh geoff ang, mark law please look my way
i'll work for you night and day
oh russell, wee khim please take me in
i'll slog and toil without a din
oh charlie lim benny ang please employ me!
i'll work for you a little less than free..

end of the day..i ask wheres my pay?
"sorry dont have any..have a nice day!" :bsmilie:
AMEN

Hmmm.. geoff ang now have 2 permanent assistants.., Wee kim don't like assistant and only use pro part-time, Charlie studio really very damn far, Russell uses one of my friend.. Not too sure about mark law or benny ang.. Good luck man.