Neopan 1600 film

dacteo

Sep 22, 2009
Hi guys

Just want to clarify probably a very basic question that i should be aware of :embrass:

I shot this picture of my wife on a Fuji Neopan 1600 film 2 weeks back

5391370887_e5b2455df9_z.jpg

I shot it at asa 1600, but it looks very contrasty... some of the details look gone.. ( at least from my monitor. I havent done any editing yet

For details, we should always shoot under? ( i.e i should have shot at asa 800 to keep more details? ) I think I read it somewhere here before on this.

This is another picture of my wife that I shot using a Agfa 400 much earlier. the colour looks brighter and clearer.

5392395266_494df5eb6d_z.jpg

at indoors it seems asa 400 is more than enough. Will the type of the film also play part in some form or other?

Did you develop this yourself?

this is rather high contrast film, so if you send for developing, the contrast can get up in a hurry. if so, you can try shooting at lower iso settings - iso1000 or iso1280 - that's about 1/3 - 2/3 down. that can help tame some of the shadows and grain.

alternatively, if you do home development, you can change your chemical formula to tame the contrast, without having to stop down (loosing shutter speed).

edit > just to add on, Agfa film is a lower contrast film. for a fairer comparison, you should compare neopan400 to neopan1600.

Last edited:
Jack is right on all counts. I have this to add: how you meter with your camera and how you expose when you take your photo also affects contrast heavily. I normally am in the habit of overexposing by half a stop or even two-thirds of a stop in order to have increased shadow detail. I also develop for a slightly shorter time than recommended so my highlights don't get blocked out; developing yourself does give you much more control over the end result.

forgot to add... congrats on the coming rabbit to your family!! ;)

thks cj! and your tips for the shots. guess self development is still the way to go!
thks calebk too ;)

One more thing to add, when Jack said shoot lower, from ISO 1000-1250, essentially what he means is overexposing your film by 1/3-2/3 stops. This somewhat lifts the shadows. Film has a wide enough latitude to compensate for this somewhat. I've been doing this for the Tri-X that I shoot and have been getting rather pleasant results.

Tomorrow I'm scanning another roll where I overexposed 2/3 stops brighter than what I rated and developed my film at. Will update on how it goes and how favourable an approach it is.

thanks for all the feedback and advise, calebk. Hope other newbies like me can learn from here and try out more :)

From my experience, neopan 1600 is really BLACK & white film. It is really... black. There is not much details in shadow. I normally don't expose at box speed 1600, just about 1000-1200. The result kind of pushed Neopan 400 to me.

4442973560_8ac1a10ed4_z.jpg

4284611020_0360b27ea5_z.jpg

4280802022_c3e134d008_z.jpg

From my experience, neopan 1600 is really BLACK & white film. It is really... black. There is not much details in shadow. I normally don't expose at box speed 1600, just about 1000-1200. The result kind of pushed Neopan 400 to me.

4442973560_8ac1a10ed4_z.jpg

4284611020_0360b27ea5_z.jpg

4280802022_c3e134d008_z.jpg

Pity Neopan is discontinued. It had a great character.

You can still get Neopan 400 around.

You can still get Neopan 400 around.

You can get the Neopan 400 at Colour Lab (adelphi)... as for presto, I know where you can get them, pm me if you're keen! :D

Just to ask, is the Neopan 1600 still available for sale as remaining stock even though it's discontinued? Thanks.

Neopan 1600 was frequently referred to as having a 'chalk and charcoal' look due to it's very high contrast. I actually love that look. I would rate it at ASA800, and shoot 1 stop over. :)

Anyone knows where to buy it? I saw the 400 ar Triple D but never see any 1600 around.

Scandiacus said:
Just to ask, is the Neopan 1600 still available for sale as remaining stock even though it's discontinued? Thanks.

I've looked around but can't find it anywhere. Everyone tells me to look for it at Konota but even they're out. Have a feeling it's not coming in any more.

That said, it looks a lot Tri-X pushed to 1600, if exposed and developed correctly, so I don't see much of a need to actually get Neopan.

I've looked around but can't find it anywhere. Everyone tells me to look for it at Konota but even they're out. Have a feeling it's not coming in any more.

That said, it looks a lot Tri-X pushed to 1600, if exposed and developed correctly, so I don't see much of a need to actually get Neopan.

I see...thanks for the input :D