need some opinions (nikkon 18-300)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Sep 5, 2006
Singapore
at the moment i have a 18-105, was wondering how good is the 18-300 and the pros and cons XD

thanks, sorry still new to nikkon XD

Last edited:
ok i am trying to look for reviews but can;t seem to find it...

at the moment i have a 18-105, was wondering how good is the 18-300 and the pros and cons XD

thanks, sorry still to nikkon XD

There are no 18-300 in the market....only 18-200.

weird i thgout i saw THIS

sorry if its wrong?

That thread is a joke........:sweat:

Currently, Nikon only have 18-200mmVRII......the closest range for what you are looking for is Tamron 18-270mm.

How about the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G, seems to be only $250. What body are u using it with? I am considering the 18-105 with this 70-300 for a D90.

All these superzoom lenses have slow apertures and usually bad IQ.The best one IMHO, is the 18-200VR with decent sharpness and good contrast

yes agree with prime photog

the 18-270 from tamron is horrible

its at f/6.3 at 270mm... very bad image quality due to the multiple times of zoom

the best pro zoom lens i've seen is the 18-200 from nikon and the 28-300 from canon however the canon's is much more expensive

yes agree with prime photog

the 18-270 from tamron is horrible

its at f/6.3 at 270mm... very bad image quality due to the multiple times of zoom

the best pro zoom lens i've seen is the 18-200 from nikon and the 28-300 from canon however the canon's is much more expensive

L Lens?

ok seems my other friend also thinks i should get a 18-200... how much can a kit lens go for nowadays? and i heard the 18-200 brand new is 1k? please advise XD

more than 1K...
also, note that the 18-200mm is not a pro lens...

image quality is very different from a pro lens...
acceptable if you are not too particular... and it gives you the wide and zoom all in one...
very easy when travelling...

you mentioned "how much can a kit lens go" as in how much is the price or how good is the quality?
in terms of quality, i find it is very acceptable and have seen impressive pics using kit lens....
:)

more than 1K...
also, note that the 18-200mm is not a pro lens...

image quality is very different from a pro lens...
acceptable if you are not too particular... and it gives you the wide and zoom all in one...
very easy when travelling...

you mentioned "how much can a kit lens go" as in how much is the price or how good is the quality?
in terms of quality, i find it is very acceptable and have seen impressive pics using kit lens....
:)

as in the price, and also wonderign should i just stick with a 18-105 or move to th 18-200 and lastly not so pro, then what lens are u looking @ when u say pro, care to share XD

If 18-200 is pro lens then 80-200 is super pro lens LOL

How about the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G, seems to be only $250. What body are u using it with? I am considering the 18-105 with this 70-300 for a D90.

I am using this setup currently... the 70-300 lens is ok for the price but the lens is not fantastic... I only use that lens during the day where there is ample light... another problem is that it doesn't have VR, making shots at 300 is difficult...

as in the price, and also wonderign should i just stick with a 18-105 or move to th 18-200 and lastly not so pro, then what lens are u looking @ when u say pro, care to share XD

Assuming you're using crop body..., I personally feel that going to 18-200 from the kit lens is not justifying the cost. IQ seems not so much difference, unless you really need the zoom, but contrary, check out below thread

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498346&highlight=infinity

if you do not need the tele end of the 18-200mm, then sticking with your 18-105 will be a good idea.
another alternative is to look at the 70-300mm VR if you need the tele end. since you already have the wide angle in 18-105, no point duplicating your purchase with the 18-200mm.
the only reason i see in buying the 18-200mm is that you intend to sell your 18-105mm away to supplement the purchase, else no point in having this 2 lenses together (my opinion)

by pro lens, consider 70-200mm or the 300mmf4....
they are slightly more expensive, but you get what you pay for....
the zoom more flexible but the prime can get you further reach.... depending on what you shoot...

Agree with eric.if you buy the 18-200, you will definitely not use the 18-105 since you get a wider range and better iq.

ok hrm looking @ it i may just stick with the 18-105 for now, but will explore the 70-200 in the near future...

thanks, sorry still new to nikkon XD
actually, from all the shots u've made, how often are those made at the tele end?? if its more than 50%, then u should consider the 18-200. If not, i think it'll be wasted.

Eh Kaga, you changed system again ah?

The kit lens is good, quite a few of my favourite photos were taken using the 18-135 kits lens, which is older than yours. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.