Need some comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did try a few shot.. maining on aperture setting.. by the way wad the diff of A-dept and AV?

Have you found your manual? It's this little white booklet that comes with the camera. If you have misplaced it then you can download the manual from Canon website. Your question is answered there, including examples when and how to use A-Dep. According your scenery I can say that you don't need A-Dep here, but do read and understand what this mode does.

BUT BUT BUT if you set it Tv and 1/250s for example, and the place is quite dim, the camera goes up to the maximum aperture it can reach (smallest f-number), and cannot go anymore than that. So on the 18-55 kit lens, it might go to f/3.5 and the picture might still be too dark.

For Canon: In this situation the parameter adjusted by the camera will blink in viewfinder as a warning that proper exposure cannot be achieved due to limitations of equipment. Picture can be taken, shutter is not blocked.

thanks for all the help guys~ i tink i am much clearer now... so can i say is manual preffered ? for night shots! .. will be going marina barrage for a shoot tml nite!

BTW if u r going for night shot, try the ISO 100 and ISO 800. And u will find ISO 100 is less noisy. Please post and share ur pics after u shoot :)

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS 1000D
Orientation - Top left
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
DateTime - 2008:08:29 08:55:29
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 196
ExposureTime - 20 seconds
FNumber - 8
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2008:08:29 08:55:29
DateTimeDigitized - 2008:08:29 08:55:29
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ShutterSpeedValue - 21 seconds
ApertureValue - F 8.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 53 mm
UserComment -
SubsecTime -
SubsecTimeOriginal -
SubsecTimeDigitized -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3888
ExifImageHeight - 2592
InteroperabilityOffset - 9478
FocalPlaneXResolution - 4438.36
FocalPlaneYResolution - 4445.97
FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Manual
SceneCaptureType - Standard

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Macro mode - Normal
Self timer - 20/10 sec
Quality - Fine
Flash mode - Not fired
Sequence mode - Single or Timer
Focus mode - One-Shot
Image size - Large
Easy shooting mode - Manual
Digital zoom - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Low , -32769
ISO Value - 32767
Metering mode - Evaluative
Focus type - Auto
AF point selected -
Exposure mode - Manual
Focal length - 18 - 55 mm (1 mm)
Flash activity - Not fired
Flash details -
Focus mode 2 - 65535
White Balance - Tungsten
Sequence number - 0
Flash bias - 0 EV
Subject Distance - 0
Image Type - Canon EOS 1000D
Firmware Version - Firmware Version 1.0.3
Owner Name -
Camera Serial Number - 930200914 (377148466)
File number - 000 - 0000

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 9620
JpegIFByteCount - 8822

thanks all! just want to know what bout the shot taken beside noise?

thanks all! just want to know what bout the shot taken beside noise?

This is not the critique corner or the nightshots gallery, so no point asking for critique here.

thanks for all the help guys~ i tink i am much clearer now... so can i say is manual preffered ? for night shots! .. will be going marina barrage for a shoot tml nite!

You were shooting in full manual, not shutter or aperture priority mode. I do suggest reading your manual and learning how your camera's meter works.

if you are on a tripod, and taking night shots, you can afford to shoot at 20seconds and NOT worry about handshake or whatever. so...

- its ok if you set at ISO 100 and shutter opens for 10seconds.
- its ok if you set aperture to f/18 and shutter opens for 10seconds.

because it doesnt matter what the speed of shutter opening is.

So, lesson of the day, for night shots, do it as:
- ISO 100
- Aperture Priority, at f/11 or more.
- focus to infinity
- Use a shutter release cable or remote so that you do NOT shake the tripod when u release the shutter of the camera.

thanks luntut tat was realli useful! btw which spot metering u all use? and I am confuse over One spot, AI servo etc...

thanks luntut tat was realli useful! btw which spot metering u all use? and I am confuse over One spot, AI servo etc...

there's only 1 type of spot metering!
That's why it's called SPOT metering. It only measures the exposure at one small spot.

Isn't AI servo to do with focusing?
I think you need to read through the manual more thoroughly. You keep throwing up terms like this, terms which you don't really understand.

May be it is better u read the user manual first, seem like you are so unclear of the basic function of abt ur cam. It will be more helpful and benefial if u try to read and understand the basic first then start asking question on the part u don't understand. It is pointless for us to keep answering and u didn't seem to put in any effort for ur own good.

Last edited:
this thread is what i'd call a "don't know to laugh or to cry" thread...

to Hyori: u need to take things slow, i understand u r very excited w ur new DSLR, i would too, but then u need to first understand the machine first, go read the manual and google the terms being mentioned if u r unclear.

work on ur foundation and the rest will follow. i'm a newbie myself!

as for ur shoots, is it really "too noisy"? i honestly think it's fine... well at least on my screen. btw why are u shooting at f/32 for?

i shoot at f/32 cos if u wan to take a landscape picture.. u shld use highest f stop? m i right?

nightshots f/8 onwards is gud then move onto smaller A. Though some digicam mags suggest f/2.8 as defaulted in some P&S. Just start with AV and f/8 2secs, 4, 30 etc. Won't go wrong instead of manual. Manual I usually use for shooting portraits haha. AV + tripod and you're almost foolproof. U just experiment, f/32 what are you shooting? The sun? Please read up on the basics.

Last edited:
i shoot at f/32 cos if u wan to take a landscape picture.. u shld use highest f stop? m i right?

Nope. You should understand your equipment, understand exposure, and understand DOF and diffraction. I would shoot at f/11 to f/16.

ermm... from what i know... higher f-stop number gives u a larger depth of field (DOF) which is good for landscape because more things in varying distant will be in focus,

so if u understand WHY higher f-stop for landscape than maybe u won't be stopping down to the MAX f/32! that's extreme lah... and there is no hard and fast rule with what f stop to use for what type of shots, they are all guidelines

i think f/8 or thereabouts should be sufficient, so u do not need to resort to high ISO and 20secs shutter lah

Canon calls it
P - Program Auto
Av - Aperture Priority (aperture value)
Tv - Shutter Priority (time value)
M - Manual

the rest I dunno :angel:

Just to clarify, the "v" in Av and Tv stands for "variable", not "value".

Anyhoo, I concur with the rest of the seniors here, that the manual, though wordy and boring, is a very useful booklet to let you get to know the full extent of what your camera can do, as well as getting to know your camera.

While I don't consider myself a newbie in terms of photography knowledge, whenever I get a new camera, I will force myself to read it end to end, even if alot of concepts in there are already known to me. This is to ensure I don't miss anything out. And in the next few days or weeks that you're playing with your camera, bring along that booklet with you. Learning things by yourself through "the hard way" makes knowledge easier to remember than being told again and again.

Do take more night shots and post them up!

Cheers!

Thanks all for the comments.

You might have mistaken the advice "higher f-stop" with "highest f-stop". As mentioned, above f/16 you'll get diffraction which defeats the purpose of higher f-stop again. Diffraction causes softness of the images.

thanks again the the valuable comment . learn something new again! so is there any case u use above f16

Status
Not open for further replies.