Need some advise on which camera to choose...

I think TS already isolate to choices betw. D90, D300 & D300s.

Let's focus on these shall we?

To TS: Personally, I was a D90 user. The decision mindset was simple, D3000 & D5000 (back then) is about the same features as my gf's D60. It was abt 1.4k back then and I could only afford that much. Didn't know much about AF-D lens actually even though I heard about in-built motor in D90. Later I realise the real differences betw. D90 and the entry level bodies and was very pleased about it.... Until I met the big brother D300s.... It's a 2k camera back then. With a price diff of $600, I think common sense will lead you to ask if it's really worth the price. At least to me, it's really worth it. The differences, in features that I was of concerns with, betw. D90 and D300s (or D300) are as follows:

Pros
- Bigger body with better ergonomic grip (Good or not really depends on your palm size
- Wider high dynamic range possibility with wider bracketing range (D90 - 3 shots @ +/- 2 range | D300s - 9 shots @ +/- 4 range) (Do note that this is a personal choice, which I like it)
- Higher Frames Per Shot (4.5 fps versus 7 fps (6 fps for D300)) (a.k.a Multishot speed)
- Mirror up mode (Again a personal preference, I prefer to be able to eliminate camera shake as much as possible)
- Better, more solid built (Rugged with with full magnesium alloy body)

Cons:
- D90 image quality output seems to be, and other also feels, is better than D300s (or D300)

Betw. D300 and D300s, the differences are the ability to shoot video and a tad slower FPS.

All the above are my personal opinion, do take it with a pinch of salt as well. Just like Ken Rockwell, what works for him may not works for me and you.

Thanx alot bro.. ur advise really give me a good understanding of which camera i should go for...

On top of tat, thanx to the rest as well... u guys are really nice to recommend me some models to make my alternative choices... thanx everyone...

From my own experience (this varies from person to person), don't get an entry level Nikon; you're better off with a Canon.

Spend a bit more on the D7000, the extra controls and buttons make a huge difference once you start learning what those buttons/settings do. Nikon strips their entry level cameras of many features (some you never think of using but are useful), and trick you with a good camera sensor. Camera sensor isn't everything.

Also, lightweight cameras are good only if you stick to the kit lenses or lightweight primes (for the D5100's case, the only ones would be the 35mm and 50mm f1.8G and its Sigma counterparts). Once you add on a fast aperture zoom or a faster prime, the setup starts putting a lot more strain on your hands while you're shooting because of weight imbalance as well as improper hand grip size (unless, of course, you have midget-sized hands).

This sums it up quite well for Nikon lower end systems. The constraint of lenses with built in motors hamstrings the choice of lenses (and some of theses are nice cheap primes of good value/money ratios)
D7K is the best one to go for if not constrained by a too low budget. (performance and options wise)
At least a Canon lower end 600D uses the same lens options as the more expensive models.

Sony and Pentax are worth a look as well.
No such lens constraints for these 2 brands and bodies come with shake reduction.

Large body or small one is a personal preference.
I find most DSLR bodies over large and hate dangling a Capt. Caveman club of a lens on my neck when on a walkabout.
YMMV

Er... nope. D3X and 1DsmkIII are both full frame camera. Both of them have the same speed - 5fps (actually Nikon is faster in DX format)

Both shared similar resolution too (Nikon - 24.5MP while Canon - 21.1MP)

So... I would think that they are direct competitor. But I agreed with you that 1DMkIII/IV is not a direct equivalent to the Nikon's D3s, but I do believe that 1DmkIII/IV are designed with D3s in mind and as competitor because (except for the sensor size whereby Canon's are smaller) they shared pretty similar spec.

My bad. Assumed the 1DsMk3 was a speed monster like the 1DMk3 and 1DMk4 :embrass:

Yes agreed that D3S and 1DMk4 seem to be close competitors, though it's really anyone's guess how the 2 big companies have decided to market/position their cameras. Ultimately it boils down to whether the people who are looking to buy one, are also looking at/considering the other :)

My bad too. I really had not enough grasp of the Canon lineup and I didn't even know there are 2 models: 1DMkIII and 1DsMkIII. I'm a Nikon user. Sorry.

In that case, I don't think it's fair to compare D3s to any of the canon bodies. And I seriously don't think TS is aiming for that model or canon's cloest equilivant either.

To TS: Hope you have a chance to try out these models first b4 any impulse purchase. Don't be like me who bought the D90 and regretted.

aneng said:
H ppls.. To be frank, i never owns a DSLR before.. But i wan to learn more by learning and trying out new things to get a good quality kind of photos..
So can i get some recommendations from bros n sis here to help me decide on a few choices... The other thing is it necessary for me to get myself the entry level kind of cameras?? can i simply get myself those mid-level range DSLR?? by getting so, will it confuse me alot??

I did look through some reviews on the Nikon DSLR... N somehow i tot of getting myself the second hand DSLR first... is it ok wif that idea??
I did also tot of getting the NIKON D90 or D300... Any comments or suggestions to help me?? I would really appreciate on the advise tat u all help me..
thanx ppl...

Regards,
Aneng :)

D300s with af-s 17-55mm f2.8. :) :p

d5100 with kit lens... think d5100 is a v good cam some ppl even use it as spare body :)

To TS: Hope you have a chance to try out these models first b4 any impulse purchase. Don't be like me who bought the D90 and regretted.

Why you regretted, most of the pros you listed may not be pros to other users:

- Bigger body does not equal to better grip but it does mean heavier and more troublesome to carry. To some people, this is a big turn off.
- Pretty much similar dynamic range http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300s/page17.asp vs http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/page22.asp

What you are really buying from D300s is the AF, magnesium alloy body and faster speed.
But looking at most current camera line up, one would choose the D7k over the D300s due to pricing and better technology/sensor of newer model.
However, if TS is under budget constraint, just keep it cheap and simple - D90 is bang for buck camera that has pretty much one needs and maybe more.

Last edited:

- Bigger body does not equal to better grip but it does mean heavier and more troublesome to carry. To some people, this is a big turn off.
- Pretty much similar dynamic range http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300s/page17.asp vs http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/page22.asp

What you are really buying from D300s is the AF, magnesium alloy body and faster speed.
But looking at most current camera line up, one would choose the D7k over the D300s due to pricing and better technology/sensor of newer model.
However, if TS is under budget constraint, just keep it cheap and simple - D90 is bang for buck camera that has pretty much one needs and maybe more.

The differences, in features that I was of concerns with, betw. D90 and D300s (or D300) are as follows

All the above are my personal opinion, do take it with a pinch of salt as well. Just like Ken Rockwell, what works for him may not works for me and you.

Please read the quote of my own post in bold...

I haven't read the others' comments here, but here's mine.

First of all, maybe a D300S is too much for you? And the D300S replacement is coming out soon, so either you wait for the replacement to come and wait for the price to fall, or get a D300S now since the price is really low due to replacements. But do note that for someone who never owned a DSLR before, even an entry-level might be quite heavy, though you'll get used to it.

An entry level of Nikon is really sickening. It's like they made the DSLR for those who want a DSLR for the sake of having one (are you 100% sure you're not one of them?). But speaking from experience, I treasure my current D7000 a lot more coz I used to have a D60. During my D60 time, the era of entry-levels in Nikon shot straight up. The 3 AF points in D60 is too limiting. But now my D7000 has 39. And I can shoot at ISOs I never imagined shooting at with the D60. Even now I'm still amazed at what this DSLR body can do. If you get a DSLR with good standards straightaway, you might not take good care of it. Taking good care involves techniques of changing lenses, cleaning of sensors, prevention of fungus growth, holding styles etc. You'll see lots of people complaining about problems with their bodies and lenses.

Also, many people want a DSLR Coz they think they can take good photos with it. Are you one of them too? There's a reason why we get paid like $80 per hour you know. DSLRs provide more control over your photos. But that also means if you don't know how to use it, it's disastrous.

I'm not trying to scare or condemn people here of coz. But since you said you're completely new to DSLRs, then there are actually more to consider than anyone thinks. Even now I still consider for weeks before buying and equipments

D90 and D300s perform almost identically because they are using the the almost identical sensor.

Sensor is not everything in a camera. If you actually used a D300s before and dived into the camera, you will know that the D300s is a very configurable camera. It enables you to work very very quickly once you have your preferences set up. That is sometimes more important than the sensor, as it helps you work faster to catch the moments. On a D300s I can easily switch from my "landscape" settings to "flash" settings to "portrait" settings simply my a couple flicks of my fingers. And each set of settings when done on D90, will involve around 5 mins worth of menu diving and changing of values. Even on the improved D7000, it is not as flexible as the D300s, even though it comes with 2 user banks. D7000 also have one flaw, in that the mode dial is very easily accidentally turned unlike the D300s. D7000's mag alloy frame is also a half frame, while the D300s is a complete mag alloy frame. You can compare the difference in strength by compressing a cardbox box totally sealed up vs one without the top lid. Very different. There are many many more features that D300s is better at, just that I got a little lazy to list them all here.

It is not just "faster, Mag alloy, and AF" (which acutally is already worth the price difference). There is a lot more.

D90 and D300s perform almost identically because they are using the the almost identical sensor.

Sensor is not everything in a camera. If you actually used a D300s before and dived into the camera, you will know that the D300s is a very configurable camera. It enables you to work very very quickly once you have your preferences set up. That is sometimes more important than the sensor, as it helps you work faster to catch the moments. On a D300s I can easily switch from my "landscape" settings to "flash" settings to "portrait" settings simply my a couple flicks of my fingers. And each set of settings when done on D90, will involve around 5 mins worth of menu diving and changing of values. Even on the improved D7000, it is not as flexible as the D300s, even though it comes with 2 user banks. D7000 also have one flaw, in that the mode dial is very easily accidentally turned unlike the D300s. D7000's mag alloy frame is also a half frame, while the D300s is a complete mag alloy frame. You can compare the difference in strength by compressing a cardbox box totally sealed up vs one without the top lid. Very different. There are many many more features that D300s is better at, just that I got a little lazy to list them all here.

It is not just "faster, Mag alloy, and AF" (which acutally is already worth the price difference). There is a lot more.
what you said made sense but i am curious to know what are the settings changed say from landscape to portrait that requires 5 mins worth menu searching?
also from what i've read, the "memory banks" from nikon is still not as complete as the canon. personally, i dont use the equipment for work so it is mostly leisure but i can understand the need to change the settings quickly if photography is a job.

Needless to say, the d300s is one of the best cam in its time. however, what you are comparing is one sided, the d7000 has higher and better iso performance/dr, 1080p video higher fps, higher resolution (better to some), newer metering sensor so it all comes down to what actually affects the buyer the most and if the short comings are deal breaker

then again, for someone new to photography, they would be better off with something easier to manage for newbies as buying a dslr does not mean it stops there, there is still needs for accessories like dry box, flash, tripod, filters and most important of all - lens!

Last edited:
Rasdeep, I think you misunderstood my stand. I'm not recommending D300 or D300s for sure to TS. I'm just asking him to consider carefully. I'm purely evaluating based on his choice betw. D90 & D300(s) and giving my inputs on the 2. Yes, the D7k is almost surely a better choice than D90, but as for against D300(s), I beg to differ. I agree with DD123's opinions. There are people who look beyond sensor's capabilities. If it's only sensor being the factor of choice, D90/D300(s) is of no fighting chance against D7k. But including all other aspects, D300(s) will matched, or if not, be better than D7k.

I'm coming from a perspective of a new user a yr plus ago when I made my choice of D90 above D300(s). But still, I switched over from my D90 to D300s even after D7k enters the market. Tried it umpteen times (on my friends' D7k purchases) before my final decision on my D300s.

what you said made sense but i am curious to know what are the settings changed say from landscape to portrait that requires 5 mins worth menu searching?
also from what i've read, the "memory banks" from nikon is still not as complete as the canon. personally, i dont use the equipment for work so it is mostly leisure but i can understand the need to change the settings quickly if photography is a job.

Needless to say, the d300s is one of the best cam in its time. however, what you are comparing is one sided, the d7000 has higher and better iso performance/dr, 1080p video higher fps, higher resolution (better to some), newer metering sensor so it all comes down to what actually affects the buyer the most and if the short comings are deal breaker

then again, for someone new to photography, they would be better off with something easier to manage for newbies as buying a dslr does not mean it stops there, there is still needs for accessories like dry box, flash, tripod, filters and most important of all - lens!

There is no absolute better. Simply because everyone have different needs. I am not one sided. I am just trying to show you the other side of the comparison, after you made the one-sided comment yourself.

D300 and above models have banks set up to store settings in different menus separately. So you can mix and match.

I can't comment about Canon, since I have never used a Canon so deeply.

How would I change settings?

These are settings I set different between landscape and portrait:
Auto ISO on/off
Default ISO setting
Image review setting
AF activation control (AF-on, shutter half press)
focus/release priority
Quick/Easy EV setting
Dual memory card settings

Last edited:
over the years i've played with all these cams: 300d, 10d, 20d, 30d, 5d, d40x, d50, d70s, d80, d200 but my latest cams are d90 and d700. personally, i enjoy the d90 much and i dont miss the "ergonomics" of the d700 (much like your d300s) but use the d700 for IQ and UWA shots. yes, the user banks are fast but dedicated knob for user banks will be even better.

i dont think you are pushing OP but i do feel in order for OP to make a sound decision, he has to listen to all angles which I think have been covered by all these posts

over the years i've played with all these cams: 300d, 10d, 20d, 30d, 5d, d40x, d50, d70s, d80, d200 but my latest cams are d90 and d700. personally, i enjoy the d90 much and i dont miss the "ergonomics" of the d700 (much like your d300s) but use the d700 for IQ and UWA shots. yes, the user banks are fast but dedicated knob for user banks will be even better.

i dont think you are pushing OP but i do feel in order for OP to make a sound decision, he has to listen to all angles which I think have been covered by all these posts

Yes, my D700 is very similar to my D300s in operation. Just the prism is much bigger, causing the top lcd to be smaller, besides the other obvious differences like single memory card and lack of video (which I never use anyway).

I agree about giving TS the info. which is why I posted in the first place, giving the other side of the story from what you posted. Just to show that different people like different things. Some will prefer the D700 over the D7000, some will prefer D7000 over D300s, and some will also prefer D300s over D7000. Different people like different things, just like how you prefer the ergonomics of D90 over the D700, while I prefer the D700 and D300s over my D90 or D40x.

Last edited:
I wonder if ts has decided? Or maybe bought a cannon system? I meant *canon :p
Ora micro-4/3? Hmmmm

H ppls.. To be frank, i never owns a DSLR before.. But i wan to learn more by learning and trying out new things to get a good quality kind of photos..
So can i get some recommendations from bros n sis here to help me decide on a few choices... The other thing is it necessary for me to get myself the entry level kind of cameras?? can i simply get myself those mid-level range DSLR?? by getting so, will it confuse me alot??

I did look through some reviews on the Nikon DSLR... N somehow i tot of getting myself the second hand DSLR first... is it ok wif that idea??
I did also tot of getting the NIKON D90 or D300... Any comments or suggestions to help me?? I would really appreciate on the advise tat u all help me..
thanx ppl...

Regards,
Aneng :)

I think before we start, you have to define the boundaries first (for eg, budget, purposes, shooting habits, weight, etc). If not, we will just get you more confused.

GReddyZC76 said:
I wonder if ts has decided? Or maybe bought a cannon system? I meant *canon :p
Ora micro-4/3? Hmmmm

Hi guys.. Thanx alot for everybody's help n recommendations.. I've already got myself a D300 from one of the bro in CS.. Anyway, it is a great DSLR.. Thanx to everyone again...

Now doing my explore to the camera by taking pictures wif different settings n scenario.. So can anyone recommend me any resources (Dvd, magazines, etc) to gain a better understanding of the functions and also to take good photos?!?

I do tot of getting DVDs from either Blue Crane or maybe from Elite video if im not wrong... I saw quite a positive feedbcks on e DVDs... So can i get opinions n suggestions from u all?!? Thanx...

aneng said:
Hi guys.. Thanx alot for everybody's help n recommendations.. I've already got myself a D300 from one of the bro in CS.. Anyway, it is a great DSLR.. Thanx to everyone again...

Now doing my explore to the camera by taking pictures wif different settings n scenario.. So can anyone recommend me any resources (Dvd, magazines, etc) to gain a better understanding of the functions and also to take good photos?!?

I do tot of getting DVDs from either Blue Crane or maybe from Elite video if im not wrong... I saw quite a positive feedbcks on e DVDs... So can i get opinions n suggestions from u all?!? Thanx...

Tom Ang's books are nice. I like Fundamentals of Photography: the essential hand. Tom's information are mostly technical though, but very in-depth. Scott Kelby has good books too. His info is usually straightforward. I also like looking through Best Wildlife Photographer Of The Year. It's a portfolio with amazing photos and descriptions.
Personally at first I thought the Internet was a really good resource. But not anymore since I started borrowing books from the library. There's just so much information that usually aren't talked about on the Internet.

aneng said:

Congratulation on ur purchase. Start from the manual for the functions on ur camera. If not available, you can always find a soft copy version on nikon website. Books and magazine wise it's better to borrow from library.

Instead of hunting for what settings for what shot, start from the basic exposure triangle: Aperture, shutter speed & ISO.