Need help with Virus Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokin

Dec 18, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
I would appreciate it if anyone can help me get rid of the virus infection in my other computer or any advice.

When I boot up and get into Windows, Norton gives me this message that the computer is infected with a virus.

Object Name: c:\WINDOWS\System32\smsx.exe
Virus Name : Trojan.KillAV
Action Taken: Unable to repair this file.

What is this file smsx.exe for? I ignore the message and am still able to run my applications and surf the Internet.

I have a registered version of Norton AntiVirus 2004, have updated to the latest Virus Definitions from Norton and still unable to rid the virus.

Please Help.
Thanks

Thanks for all quick responses, really appreciate it.

I just did a live update for the latest virus definition and scan my computer again. Norton detected the virus but is still unable to remove it. :dunno:

Anyway still appreciate any other help I can get. In the meantime will try the online scan as suggested.

Thanks again

Drudkh said:
there's some instructions here, try to follow it.

Thanks Drudkh,

I'm a noob as far as the computer is concerned, and have a phobia adding or removing files especially from WINDOWS/System itself.

Keeping my fingers crossed, will read carefully and follow instructions as much as I can.

Wish me luck.

You will have to edit the Windows Registry and remove the entry.

Try to Start up the computer in safe mode (Press F8 when its booting up ) and run Norton. If still cant work, delete norton and install Avast Home edition, its FOC and has a boot up time scan. It removes viruses and most spyware.

Thank you all for advices and suggestions. Will try.
I don't get the virus infection message from Norton anymore and the computer seems to be running fine.
The virus may just be lurking.

Good for you. :)
If the .exe file still exist in your PC, try to delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.