Need help with my sky shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.blitzstorm.com
Have taken some sky shots today and put it at my pbase account as think will be easier for all to see:

http://www.pbase.com/blitz/sky_shots_review

Am using a circular polariser for all this shots.

I dunno is it me or wat but does all my sky shots looks grainy? I've already set the ISO to my lowest cam setting which is 100 and it looks a bit terrible to me.

Or my eyes are playing a trick on me?

Thanks for any assistance!

maybe too much jpeg compression?? what setting did you used to save the pics?

its too small for me to say if its grainy or not.
but what i found was.... your skys lacks the details.. or too much of it..

btw.. you took those shots at tampinese isnt it?

did u rotate the polariser filter to the strongest or most enhanced level?

Originally posted by misato
its too small for me to say if its grainy or not.
but what i found was.... your skys lacks the details.. or too much of it..

btw.. you took those shots at tampinese isnt it?

You can click on thumbnail, then the size large or medium links below the pics for a larger view of the pic.

Yep it's at Tampines :) And yeah lor, good clouds are high to find....

Originally posted by mervlam
did u rotate the polariser filter to the strongest or most enhanced level?

I'm using a Cokin circular polariser.

I do notice that there're 2 rings and the external ones can be turned. However by turning that one will affect my results??

I didn't know that and how do I know which direction to turn? Cos there's no indication there......

Thanks!

blitz, the orientation of the polariser will affect the results. After fixing the filter onto your cam, turning the outer ring will enhance or lessen the effect of the polariser. Even if you hold the polariser to your eye, and you turn the entire polariser together (not just the outer ring), you can see a difference.

Since your 2040z is using an optical viewfinder that is not TTL, you won't be able to see the difference in effect through your viewfinder. But it's difficult to see the effect through the LCD as well. What I do with my c700uz is, I monitor the exposure when I turn the polariser. Say you're in aperture priority mode, and only shutter speed changes. When you turn the polariser, you can see that at certain positions, the shutter speed will drop. As you turn further, it may still drop further, but will start to increase again back to the original readings. Usually, when the shutter speed is the slowest is when the polariser is in its full effect.

Note that the above paragraph is only for the purpose of enhancing sky colour and the likes using polariser. To cut down reflections, you can use the LCD to see the effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.