Need help regarding dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RudyTT

Jul 30, 2005
Melbourne
I was reading the forums and I realized that some suggests the RH to be kept between 35-45% while others say it is better to put it between 55-65% for fear that the oil and lubricants in the lens might dry up if too dry.

What do you guys think?

Also, is it important to keep the temperature constant? I have my dry cabinet in my
bedroom and at night i switch on the air-con and the temperature would drop from
26 deg to 18 deg. I am not sure if it will negatively affect the performance of the dry
cabinet, or whether it will cause some other problems to arise with the lenses.

looking forward to your constructive and professional advice.

Check your camera manual, there you'll find something called "Environmental Conditions" and that gives a range within which your camera and lenses will work perfectly. That includes also storage unless otherwise stated. Recommended RH for camera equipment: 40%-55% (Digi). You could switch off the dry cabinet during the time when you use aircon, the resulting RH in the room is within this range. Check the RH meter in the morning. It's possible that the reading in the morning is below the recommended range if your dry cabinet works as 'open loop' (no feedback from RH meter to dry unit).
PS: 18 degrees for sleeping? If you like it cold go to Germany, they expect -20 during the next nights ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.