Need help in Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigeek

Oct 3, 2005
I am using D50. With a typical image size of 10.027 inch x 6.667 inch, I applied canvas all around with value +0.25 inch. And I applied another canvas only for the bottom for another +1 inch so that I can put some text on it. The border is black.

When I tried to print using those Kodak Kiosk or even to the studio, it seems that the entire image is cropped as I understand the 4R size is 4 inch x 6 inch.

I tried resizing the image to this 4 x 6 inch size but with the border applied as above, the picture turns out squeezed or stretched.

Anyone can advise how can I applied borders like I did and still get all the picture printed out nicelyinto 4R? Thanks. Sorry, newbie in PS.

because u added 1inch onto the verticals, to compensate the aspect ratio, the photo will be stretched to fit 3:2.

what i would do is that have a 1.25 canvas all round(but it would be too big a canvas).

or

think of another format of putting text. there're some other ideas which i saw was pretty good.

drumma said:
because u added 1inch onto the verticals, to compensate the aspect ratio, the photo will be stretched to fit 3:2.

what i would do is that have a 1.25 canvas all round(but it would be too big a canvas).

if similar case, my pic size is 2560 x 1920... in cs2, how do i change to 3:2 format ?? :sweat:

Trigeek said:
I am using D50. With a typical image size of 10.027 inch x 6.667 inch, I applied canvas all around with value +0.25 inch. And I applied another canvas only for the bottom for another +1 inch so that I can put some text on it. The border is black.

When I tried to print using those Kodak Kiosk or even to the studio, it seems that the entire image is cropped as I understand the 4R size is 4 inch x 6 inch.

I tried resizing the image to this 4 x 6 inch size but with the border applied as above, the picture turns out squeezed or stretched.

Anyone can advise how can I applied borders like I did and still get all the picture printed out nicelyinto 4R? Thanks. Sorry, newbie in PS.

Hi Phillip,
Where have you been ? :dunno: Long time no see leh. Ok, me also newbies hor.
Here what I do, first, you do what ever you wanted to do with your photo first, (I mean process) and then apply the canvas. This step is more tricky as you wanted it to be 4"X6" or 6"X4", you have to give this a thought, like say 0.25" or 0.5". Apply your whatever text you want it.
The resize should be the last, click on the Image > Image Size > (uncheck the Resample Image and Rescale sizes) and key in the size you desire (make sure it's in inches). You will notice there's extra a few .XXX inches. You'll decide if you wanted the vertical or horizontal to be ousted. It depends on which lab or machine you send it in, Kodak one should be able to adjust the part that you wanted to chop but not Fuji, Fuji one will be standard which is centralised. (Or you can choose to fit in, this is where your photo will be stretch or squeeze)
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, I'll show you mine... :embrass: (My flow and method might be wrong, hope someone can correct it if it's wrong)

normal_DSC_7893_web%20copy.jpg

k3nn3th03 said:
if similar case, my pic size is 2560 x 1920... in cs2, how do i change to 3:2 format ?? :sweat:

I guess your camera is 4:3 format like my FZ10K, I'll just crop it to 3:2 which is easier to me. ;p

awongkk said:
I guess your camera is 4:3 format like my FZ10K, I'll just crop it to 3:2 which is easier to me. ;p

yea...

question is, HOW TO CROP to 3:2 ??

hehe..

you can always use the crop tool found in PS...

Trigeek said:

The original image ratio is already 2:3, you can't have borders of 3 side equal and one side thicker. To print nicely fit in a 4R print, you need to maintain a 2:3 ratio, with or without any borders.

Trigeek said:

Hmmm how can you add 0.25 inch all around?

imagine say for example you add 1 inch every side to a 4 x 6 photo..
you'll end up getting 6x8 inches..
Your photo aspect ratio would have changed from 2:3 to 3:4

That is the main problem is here..
Thus.. if you were to add say, .2 inch to the verticals, to keep the aspect, you have to add 0.3inch to the horizontals.

10.027 inch x 6.667 inch => 10.527 x 7.167 (no longer 3:2)=> 10.527 x 8.167 (something like 13:10 ratio)

Thus.. if you want to add 1 inch to the verticals for text, 0.25 inch to the top and bottom... total up vertical is an addition of 1.5 inch..
ratio of 3:2 remember?
so take 1.5 inch / 2 x 3 = 2.25 inches to be added to the horizontals..
you divide by 2, and you get 1.125 inches to be added to each side.

Status
Not open for further replies.