Need Help: Clear Glass window for G1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AingTea

May 13, 2005
For some reasons, I need to replace my G1 hot Mirror with Clear Glass Window.

Unfortunately, I do not know where can I get or make the Clear Glass Window.

Any body know where can I get it? Please Help Me.... Please. Thanks

For what reason, can you tell us.

You need to find a piece of glass as thin as your G1 hot mirror which I doubt you can find.

Thanks for the Ideas.... I need the glass with 3.09 mm thickness.

I need it because I want to modify my G1 to be IR photography friendly.

Upon removing and replacing your hot mirror, I think you'll need to manual focus to compensate the focussing...Since your camera focussing is calibrate to normal light focussing. IR has shorter wavelength than normal light.

I will need similar help too.

I have a 3 year old Coolpix 4500 that has since been replaced by D70. Since the 4500 is not in used, I am thinking of converting it to a IR-only camera.

Problem is, hard to find info on it.

I am thinking of replacing the hot glass to a cut Cokin A007.

But problem is, it is expected the hot glass is 2.8 mm, while Cokin A007 is 1.81 thick. Can i compensate this difference by 1mm clear glass?

Hope you guys can help.

None of us here are using modified cams... You may want to check with Matthew in colours of light forum.

There are stories of people using microscope slides as the clear glass. You might want to try. But 3.09 mm is darn thick. Most slides are about 1-2 mm. You might have to stack them to get that thickness.

Agree with Max. Don't try unless you are good at diassembly and re-assembly, and also, be prepared to write off that camera before you even contemplate modding it.

But if you are the hardcore type...and can afford that cam...why not?? :bsmilie:

Most people I know who did surgery on their camera, never assemble it back at all in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.