need expert opnion

Status
Not open for further replies.

snappez

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Hi,

I don't know if there is a similiar thread on what I about to ask but if there is, I can't seems to find it. Anyway, i need expert opnion as I'm kinda in a dilemma.Hope you guys could help me.

I'm new to photography and have started learning it only about two years ago and since I've only taken photos on irregular basis so not so still green horn. I'm looking at the new Nikon D70 and the Fuji FinePix S2 pro. I've compared features from dpreview between these two camera and found that they are similiar and is fighting neck to neck. That's why I'm stuck between deciding which I should get. Basically, I need a digital camera that can assist, if not speed up, my learning curve in photography. Also one that can accomadate when I turn pro (dunno when is that.... ;p ). I was also told by a friend that some camera does not support sigma flash. I have a sigma EF500 flash and would appreciate any opnion of this flash on both D70 and S2 pro.

I know i'm asking for a lot things here but I really don't know what to look for in a digital SLR and I don't want to buy one that I will regret later. Thanks in advance. :cool:

just buy d70 will do

but d70 got no vertical grip lor ..keke..paiseh im a ergonomics freak here :D

clive said:
just buy d70 will do

but d70 got no vertical grip lor ..keke..paiseh im a ergonomics freak here :D
Don't think it's important to me to have the vertical grip as I not that pro to use it anyway. ;p But i think S2 pro also don't have rite? what about my sigma EF500 flash can it work with D70?

I also suggest the D70 (reason : cheaper.) When you turn pro, you will find that the camera body is relative cheap compared with the pro lens.
Sorry I dont use Sigma flash, but I guess you can still use it at manual mode, no matter what. A bit troublesome, but more fun. (and why not sell the Sigma away and buy a Nikon one?)

Astin said:
I also suggest the D70 (reason : cheaper.) When you turn pro, you will find that the camera body is relative cheap compared with the pro lens.
Sorry I dont use Sigma flash, but I guess you can still use it at manual mode, no matter what. A bit troublesome, but more fun. (and why not sell the Sigma away and buy a Nikon one?)

I see..... my budget is really tight so can't affort to buy anymore things beside the camera. Selling the flash would only help in part payment of the new flash. In any case I can't affort any new flash right now so have to stick with sigma for now. Beside I dunno what to look for in a flash too! ;p I very GREEN to photography one....... :D :sweat:

nikon flash...they replaced the models quite a few times over the past few years already...some major and minor adjustments in specifications..eg dx vs non dx flash...suggest that u stick to the latest offerings ie sb800 and sb600

clive said:
nikon flash...they replaced the models quite a few times over the past few years already...some major and minor adjustments in specifications..eg dx vs non dx flash...suggest that u stick to the latest offerings ie sb800 and sb600

Thanks CLive. Appreciate the suggestion. What is your opnion on the image quality taken with D70 and S2 pro? I was told by a friend that Nikon purposely set their digital camera to slightly under expose to preserve details, is that true?

go for a new D70...

if i'm not wrong, it's hard to find a new S2 Pro nowadays. maybe impossible to find at all. correct me if i'm wrong here...

yeah, your friend is right about slight under-exposure for D70...

Is the slight under exposure a bad thing and will it affect picture quality? Peiseh, so many question...... must be sure lah. ;p

Actually I would suggest you to use high ISO to shoot and not to use the flash at all. Something like ISO 1000 or even 2000.

Pai seh, I very green one. I read in dpreview that the ISO of D70 is between ISO 200 - 1600 with 1/3 EV step. Does this meant that the minimium ISO is 200 and can't go lower like 50 or 100?

snappez said:
Pai seh, I very green one. I read in dpreview that the ISO of D70 is between ISO 200 - 1600 with 1/3 EV step. Does this meant that the minimium ISO is 200 and can't go lower like 50 or 100?

Yes, minimum ISO is only 200. Can't go lower than that...

snappez said:
Why do you want it to go lower?

snappez said:
Is the slight under exposure a bad thing and will it affect picture quality? Peiseh, so many question...... must be sure lah. ;p

Must clarify first that I'm far from an "expert" but here goes: :D

The 'underexposure' of the D70, which is about -0.3EV is not a big deal. Its done to preserve highlights from being lost, as you can recover details in shadow, but its a lot harder (or almost impossible) to recover details in blown highlights. You can remedy this in two ways:

1. Always keep your D70 at +0.3EV or +0.7EV
2. Use a custom curve to correct for it

I prefer method 2. as it can brighten the picture without blowing the highlights, unlike method 1 which can still still result in blown highlights. Not sure about the S2, but from what I've heard of it, is an excellent camera (as is the D70). I suggest that if budget is a consideration, go with the D70 and you won't regret :)

Gymrat76 said:
Must clarify first that I'm far from an "expert" but here goes: :D

The 'underexposure' of the D70, which is about -0.3EV is not a big deal. Its done to preserve highlights from being lost, as you can recover details in shadow, but its a lot harder (or almost impossible) to recover details in blown highlights. You can remedy this in two ways:

1. Always keep your D70 at +0.3EV or +0.7EV
2. Use a custom curve to correct for it

I prefer method 2. as it can brighten the picture without blowing the highlights, unlike method 1 which can still still result in blown highlights. Not sure about the S2, but from what I've heard of it, is an excellent camera (as is the D70). I suggest that if budget is a consideration, go with the D70 and you won't regret :)

Thanks for the advice and all your suggestion guys. Really appreciate it. ;) It really helps me in making my decision. Btw, is the S3 pro already on sale here? If so, how much is it going for?

As for the how low I want the ISO is good if it can go to 100. S2 pro can go untill ISO 50! :bigeyes: Not that I need it or will be using it. Just in case.... :D

imaginary_number said:
The MB16 can be modified to fit the S2.
Note the word modified = extra $ for using AA batteries, extra effort to cut to size, extra weight without vertical shutter.

snappez said:
As for the how low I want the ISO is good if it can go to 100. S2 pro can go untill ISO 50! :bigeyes: Not that I need it or will be using it. Just in case.... :D
Why do you think that the lowest ISO of 50 is good compared to 200? Lower ISO means you need more light. Or in other words, is good in well lit situations where you want to get longer exposures. But in poorly lit situations it's not as good. You can always decrease the light with an ND filter (ie. to get the same effect of ISO 50 when using ISO 200) but you cannot increase it (without artificial sources - ie. flash). I'd take 200 over 50 anyday.

Royce said:
Why do you think that the lowest ISO of 50 is good compared to 200? Lower ISO means you need more light. Or in other words, is good in well lit situations where you want to get longer exposures. But in poorly lit situations it's not as good. You can always decrease the light with an ND filter (ie. to get the same effect of ISO 50 when using ISO 200) but you cannot increase it (without artificial sources - ie. flash). I'd take 200 over 50 anyday.

Noted. I understand the concept and use of the ISO. Like I've said before, I don't anticipate using ISO 50 but maybe will use 100 coupled with ND filter to take horizon sunset/sunrise although it can still be taken using ISO 200. It's more my own experimentation. Not a must have. Thanks anyway. :) :cool:

How about the S3 pro, any idea if its on sale here yet and how much? :gbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.