need expert opnion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royce said:
Why do you think that the lowest ISO of 50 is good compared to 200? Lower ISO means you need more light. Or in other words, is good in well lit situations where you want to get longer exposures. But in poorly lit situations it's not as good. You can always decrease the light with an ND filter (ie. to get the same effect of ISO 50 when using ISO 200) but you cannot increase it (without artificial sources - ie. flash). I'd take 200 over 50 anyday.

erm... not too sure on this... wat abt the noise factor?

bsplenden said:

Noise factor? Are you refering to "graininess"? I thought that only exist for film above ISO 800. :cool:

snappez said:
Noise factor? Are you refering to "graininess"? I thought that only exist for film above ISO 800. :cool:

in digital camera, they call it noise... :dunno:

i dun think it only exist for film above iso 800... i always thought that the higher the ISO, the more obvious the grain/noise. but just that at ISO 50, there is even less grain/noise than at IOS 200. am i right?? :dunno:

bsplenden said:
What about it? In the case for both Cameras, their lowest ISO will be the lowest noise and as you increase the ISO, noise will increase. But noise is a factor of the CCD and the ISO, so you can't directly compare - in other words, you can't say @ ISO 50 the Fuji will have less noise than the D70 @ ISO 200.

(ie. film grain "rules of thumb" do not apply to DSLR Noise ISO settings.)

bsplenden said:
in digital camera, they call it noise... :dunno:

i dun think it only exist for film above iso 800... i always thought that the higher the ISO, the more obvious the grain/noise. but just that at ISO 50, there is even less grain/noise than at IOS 200. am i right?? :dunno:
For film yes, but not necessarily for DSLR.

Royce said:
For film yes, but not necessarily for DSLR.

hmmm... so for different models of camera, the noise level can actually be the same even if the pics are taken at diff ISO like 50 and 200??

snappez, lets put all the technical things aside for now and analyse your situation. You probably have already chosen to get the S2Pro or S3Pro. You are just asking here to compare with the D70 to enforce your choice. Now most ppl here actually suggested the D70 and you start to doubt your own choice. Nothing wrong, we all have behaved like that before. (Canon vs Nikon, Sony vs Canon, etc)

In that case, I think you should get what you have chosen originally, at least you would feel happier that way.

Anyway, good luck to you. And know that no one will keep the digital camera forever, sooner or later you will change/upgrade your digital camera. ;)

bsplenden said:
hmmm... so for different models of camera, the noise level can actually be the same even if the pics are taken at diff ISO like 50 and 200??
Yes, and conversely the noise levels can be different if taken at the same ISO for different models of camera (ie. as DSLR technology improves, you would expect noise levels to decrease at the same higher ISO settings compared to previous generations of cameras).

Royce said:
What about it? In the case for both Cameras, their lowest ISO will be the lowest noise and as you increase the ISO, noise will increase. But noise is a factor of the CCD and the ISO, so you can't directly compare - in other words, you can't say @ ISO 50 the Fuji will have less noise than the D70 @ ISO 200.

(ie. film grain "rules of thumb" do not apply to DSLR Noise ISO settings.)

Indeed, for the Fuji S2pro might even have lower noise than the D70 at all comparable ISO settings.

Basically, all things being equal, a greater ISO range allows one greater flexibility in his choice of settings. A lower max iso even offsets the need for a higher flash sync speed, ameliorates the need for ND filters and allows cleaner long exposures.

However, the ISO range of the S2pro(100-1600) vs D70(200-1600) isn't much of a difference worry about.

Royce said:
Why do you think that the lowest ISO of 50 is good compared to 200? Lower ISO means you need more light. Or in other words, is good in well lit situations where you want to get longer exposures.
Rather out of point I feel.

But in poorly lit situations it's not as good. You can always decrease the light with an ND filter (ie. to get the same effect of ISO 50 when using ISO 200) but you cannot increase it (without artificial sources - ie. flash). I'd take 200 over 50 anyday.

Lowest possible ISO doesn't mean the only valid ISO as what you seem to suggest here.

Thanks guuys for your inputs. Although right now, it seems I'm more confused than before.... :embrass: Astin, you hit the nail on the head. My initial decision was S2 pro and perhaps still is (at least I feel it is). After the launch of the D70, and reading about its features and many reviews, it quiver my initial decision so now I'm kinda torn between S2 and D70. For one, I've used S2 pro before (borrow from my friend) so I know exactly how good S2 can be. Although half the time I don't use the advanced feature that S2 have. The D70 on the other hand, I've never used it before but from its feature specs, it has all the feature I'm looking for but fall short as compared to S2 pro, IMO. Also the price is one of my consideration. D70 being alot cheaper having price difference of about $1000! Now, I still can't decide. No doubt probably I won't be having the digicam forever, but at least for the near future I don't regret by buying something that I later realised isn't as good as I thought it would be. <sign> so troublesome........ :( :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.