Need Advice on Tripod for Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arx

Jul 3, 2003
Visit site
Need recomendation on a good tripod for my 300D.
My 300D heaviest weight with 550EX, EF 28-135mm IS USM, Vertical Grip...
Anyone can give me a tripod recommendation? Light weight prefered as going to use it for travelling. ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Arx said:
Need recomendation on a good tripod for my 300D.
My 300D heaviest weight with 550EX, EF 28-135mm IS USM, Vertical Grip...
Anyone can give me a tripod recommendation? Light weight prefered as going to use it for travelling. ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Slik Sprint pro. Pretty light for a full height tripod. Or get the sprint mini, but you'll have to crouch to use it. Not sure if the mini will support a 2kg weight that your combo is.

You can also get one of the shorter manfrottos ( forgot the model number ), but they are heavier.

chriszzz said:
Slik Sprint pro. Pretty light for a full height tripod. Or get the sprint mini, but you'll have to crouch to use it. Not sure if the mini will support a 2kg weight that your combo is.

You can also get one of the shorter manfrottos ( forgot the model number ), but they are heavier.

The manfrotto model no. is the 190 series...

Slik Sprint Pro costs about $80. However, I personally don't think it's stable enough for your setup

A carbon fiber tripod are both stable and Light weight and it is very costly $600+. I think you have to sacrifice some weight advantage for stablity if price is a concern. The manfrotto 190 tripod are very heavy not suitable for travel.

Where would you be travelling? If you would be travelling to somewhere where strong winds are expected, then a heavy tripod would be preferred, as strong winds not only can cause camera shakes but topple the entire set up. however there are ways round the problem, like hanging your camera back under the tripod as a dead weight. Just need to make sure the tripod can take it.

Travelling is always abt compromise, of course if u can afford top $ for the carbon fibre tripods, that would be ideal. Can support decent weight without you carrying a ton, but same problem if too light, still need weighing down.

are you doing night shots? long exposure? if not then maybe a monopod might suffice.

i always carry more stuff for travel as i feel that the photographic opportunity and cost of air ticket outweighs the disadvantage of carrying more equip.

If i could afford a carbon fibre, good, but i can't, so i lug around my manfrotto 055pro legs and 029 head, pretty heavy but worth the every photographic opportunity.

Is this a photography trip or a leisure trip, weigh out the odds and your priorities

I got a 055 series with 486RC2 and it is pretty darn heavy. However, I think I will bring my tripod IF i wanna go long exposure shots only. If not, the tripod will most prob be just lying in the hotel room. :D

I got a Gitzo G1026 which i used it during my travel thru europe, pretty convenient and not too heavy. But it has got 4 section on the leg extension.

NashVillian said:
Where would you be travelling? If you would be travelling to somewhere where strong winds are expected, then a heavy tripod would be preferred, as strong winds not only can cause camera shakes but topple the entire set up. however there are ways round the problem, like hanging your camera back under the tripod as a dead weight. Just need to make sure the tripod can take it.

Travelling is always abt compromise, of course if u can afford top $ for the carbon fibre tripods, that would be ideal. Can support decent weight without you carrying a ton, but same problem if too light, still need weighing down.

are you doing night shots? long exposure? if not then maybe a monopod might suffice.

i always carry more stuff for travel as i feel that the photographic opportunity and cost of air ticket outweighs the disadvantage of carrying more equip.

If i could afford a carbon fibre, good, but i can't, so i lug around my manfrotto 055pro legs and 029 head, pretty heavy but worth the every photographic opportunity.

Is this a photography trip or a leisure trip, weigh out the odds and your priorities

Words of wisdom! Take the heaviest tripod you can bear to carry. If you are going long distance and want to come back with acceptable night shots, I believe it is worth the effort.

i carried my slik able300dx up a mtn.. cursed n sweared but once i reach the top.... WOW I relasised the importance of HEAVY tripod.. the rivers look clean n nice and summit pix beautiful! wt abt 5kg... a BAG OF RICE!!!

another why to "stablise" ur tripod is to hang ur bag or "weight" below the tripod

CoExist said:
i carried my slik able300dx up a mtn.. cursed n sweared but once i reach the top.... WOW I relasised the importance of HEAVY tripod.. the rivers look clean n nice and summit pix beautiful! wt abt 5kg... a BAG OF RICE!!!

another why to "stablise" ur tripod is to hang ur bag or "weight" below the tripod
I think with the extra weight, you not only get great pictures, you get a great workout too!!!

nickmak said:
I think with the extra weight, you not only get great pictures, you get a great workout too!!!

Unless you are young and in terrific shape, the great workout will probably leave you tired, sweaty, and probably in a bad mood. Take the heaviest that you can bear to carry, but no more ( to me, that's < 1kg for the tripod ). If you have a nice airport-to-hotel shuttle and are on package tour, its fine I guess.

But if you are wondering around a strange place with a backpack on your back, it pays to travel light. A 5 kg tripod weights more than my entire luggage ( minus camera ) during a trip to Bangkok sometime back ( yeah, everything, except my camera stuff, fitted into a haversack and weighed only 4.5kg ! ).

Every pound of weight is an extra burden on your AGING back. Those in their 30s and above should understand this well :) Consider if its worth 5 hours of back-breaking torture just to relish 10 minutes of pleasure. Your mileage may vary.

Oh yes, there will be shots you can't take without a heavy tripod. But someone said it very well when he said "In photography, there will always be shots you cannot take no matter how much equipment you have with you. You have to learn to accept it. Just enjoy the scene, and buy a postcard". Or words to that effect.

leadwe said:
Slik Sprint Pro costs about $80. However, I personally don't think it's stable enough for your setup

Its rated for 2-2.5kg

Just take your stuff down to AP or CP and try it out. It's free testing :)

I'm using the Slik Sprint Pro GM but changed the head to a better one. Can't really beat the weight..... it's lighter than most CF tripods and is tall enough for me.

It's not the most stable of tripods but if you use it with the camera oriented horizontally, it should do fine. If you shoot in portrait orientation with all the stuff listed, the tripod might topple easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.