Need Advice on B & W shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

LustForLife

Feb 3, 2005
i plan to do some black and white photography tom night so i would need some advices on :

what type of black and white film i should buy...the brand and the film speed.

and what aperture and shutter speed should i use in order to capture the pictures accurately...and should i use the flash? because i have bad experiences with flash light as it often make the end product looking overexposed or harsh lighting.

thanks for all replies and advices.

LustForLife said:
i plan to do some black and white photography tom night so i would need some advices on :

what type of black and white film i should buy...the brand and the film speed.

and what aperture and shutter speed should i use in order to capture the pictures accurately...and should i use the flash? because i have bad experiences with flash light as it often make the end product looking overexposed or harsh lighting.

thanks for all replies and advices.

B&W for night? Hmm... well, I would rather you try your first roll of B&W with daylight first, before you venture into night photography in B&W. There's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting B&W in the night though. It's just that selection of film speed and brand is very much depending on the mood you wanna project, the kind of photography you do, and your taste ultimately. There are people who use low speed B&W film in night photography, (low as in ISO 100) because there are other factors that are more important than the ISO. I know of some photographers who simply cannot stand basketball-sized grains in their B&W, and asking them to leave certain fine-grain film, like TMax is almost impossible. Conversely, there are people who will shoot with high speed ISO, just to get the grainy look.

So my advice is, it's better to try with b&w in daylight condition first, to see what you like. It's really different to visualise the final b&w picture, especially since we all see things in colour.

On the other hand, since b&w is rather cheap, just go get yourself a roll and shoot for the heck of it! :bsmilie:

am going to try black and white...shooting my friends who are performing tonight at POW.

i've always like black and white anyway :)

black and white with flash can produce good effects too hehe....so no need to be too critical about not using flash when shooting BnW....

Amanda.jpg

perhaps u can try HP5..... then uprate it to iso 800....
if the lighting is good enuff then shooting ambient will be fun.....
if not good then bo pian muz use flash...

aperture priorty without flash should not be a problem...but the trick is to watch the shutter .... if say u shooting at 200mm and at f5.6 ya shutter is only 1/125 cmi rite....
so watch the settings closely ya

and most of all... have fun shooting..

cheers..

Status
Not open for further replies.