Need a new desktop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRiShnDaisy

Sep 19, 2003
Home pc just died on me...not that I need a complication like this now. Anyways, not exactly an IT kinda' person here and so am wondering if I could get some recommendations for a good and reliable 'assembler'. I know Dell's selling like hotcakes these days but I just checked out the offers on their website and there are lots of hidden costs.

Any advice?

Thanks!

TRiSh

Try Acer, HP, IBM. If you have friends that can DIY. It might be better in the long run.

I don't like branded pre-assembled computers because they always come sealed, so I can't add in additional hardware for the first year because of the warranty. And always they insist that you must get the additional hardware from them at ridiculously high price.

Also do keep a look out for those PCs like Dell, where the peripherals are tightly integrated, ie, sound, video, LAN etc. When one part dies... the rest goes with it.

unfortunately dell :nono:

try simlim=>superpet.

if really want 2b psychologically safe n more inportantly fuss free=> preassembled ones found in the usual typical electronics superstores

espn said:
I don't like branded pre-assembled computers because they always come sealed, so I can't add in additional hardware for the first year because of the warranty. And always they insist that you must get the additional hardware from them at ridiculously high price.

Acer allows user to add parts within the warranty period AFAIK as long as its not the additional parts that causes damage to your computer ;)

I bot my dell 8300 recently. I like it :)

They spell out everything for you to see and there is a guarantee from an estb co.

Thanks guys! I think I know how to proceed now. Thanks again!

I have had very good experience with my Dell PC's. I have had 3 or 4 so far. Built 3-4 PC's of my own as well, but not that much cheaper than Dell. Good value, well-spec'ed, tightly integrated, rock-stable, well-designed easily accessible casings, bundled original software. Never had to call for support.

Would suggest getting a basic system and upgrading hard disk and memory yourself using Sim Lim components, since the optional upgrades are overpriced.

The new Dell Casing design sucks. In order to install a new hard disk, you got to unscrew the 1st hard disk and a metal support then screw back both hard disks. The older one was better, screw 2 plastic rails on the new hard disk and slide it into the casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.