ND2-ND400 filter.. does it actually work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
i was looking ard for a ND400 filter (a real pain finding it in SG.. CP has to order it...and it takes forever) when i came across this on ebay.

does anyone have it? does it actually work? kinda fantastic if it does... 1 filter with adjustable ND.... :think:

If it is as good as the Singh-Ray (which cost a bomb),

http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html

it should work.

By looking at that ebay link, my doubts are:

thickness of filter
if the ND colour is "neutral enough" in colour

Sounds like two pieces of polarizers stacked together...

for extremely silky waterfall shoot then you'll need it... most time i just use the 3 stop GND (use the darker half) or 1.5 stop CPL... not too bad but not silky definitely...

That's exactly what it is ;)

The question is, do you really need a variable ND? I mean, if you're using an ND for long exposures, slow is just slow right? :p

I'm actually considering (building) one for time-lapse capture at dawn and dusk so that I can keep constant aperture and shutter speed. The problem is, how am I going to adjust the darn thing with precision.

for extremely silky waterfall shoot then you'll need it... most time i just use the 3 stop GND (use the darker half) or 1.5 stop CPL... not too bad but not silky definitely...

it depends on the flow of the water.

anyways, nd400 is always useful. 8 stops can be a boon, giving you silky exposures in the afternoon.

anyways, beyond 6 stops neutrality is compromised, you will get color shifts, hoya on nd400 cannot solve this problem, nd110 from b+w also cannot solve this problem.

I'm actually considering (building) one for time-lapse capture at dawn and dusk so that I can keep constant aperture and shutter speed. The problem is, how am I going to adjust the darn thing with precision.

Hmm....never thought of that! That's a useful application!

Well, you can calibrate it in a enclosed room with a single constant light source to see how many stops are lost at specific intervals...then paint markings on the filter after you're done calibrating it? :)

anyways, beyond 6 stops neutrality is compromised, you will get color shifts, hoya on nd400 cannot solve this problem, nd110 from b+w also cannot solve this problem.

oh.. :sticktong

troublesome...but a little WB adjustments during pp should solve it right?

Hmm....never thought of that! That's a useful application!

Well, you can calibrate it in a enclosed room with a single constant light source to see how many stops are lost at specific intervals...then paint markings on the filter after you're done calibrating it? :)

PL is easy to calculate but I think I need an automated electromechanical system instead of turning the stuff by hand every 5 seconds. :sweatsm:

oh.. :sticktong

troublesome...but a little WB adjustments during pp should solve it right?

it depends on your luck.

i shoot in raw, sometimes i can correct it, sometimes the color shift (and resultant extreme saturation) can be too tricky to bother.. plus daylight colors can be boring, rather convert to bnw.

it depends on your luck.

i shoot in raw, sometimes i can correct it, sometimes the color shift (and resultant extreme saturation) can be too tricky to bother.. plus daylight colors can be boring, rather convert to bnw.

i see...

Oh, and on another note, been seeing a couple of cheap ND filters in the market recently from previously unknown brands :sweat:

I suppose there's a high chance that these'll have colour balance issues too, no? :think:

i see...

Oh, and on another note, been seeing a couple of cheap ND filters in the market recently from previously unknown brands :sweat:

I suppose there's a high chance that these'll have colour balance issues too, no? :think:

i don't know, but price doesn't always equate quality.

for example, cokin gnds versus tianya, the latter is cheaper, but has less yellow cast problems. of course, the trouble is, tianya only has one type of gnd that i know of.. about 2 stops difference maybe.. while cokin has more variety and thus more flexibility.

i think it is better to google and research a bit for lower-middle end products, see what people are saying, and even then, take that with a pinch of salt.

most of the time, high price products will be good - if you think about it, if a product is bad, but tries to charge exorbitant prices, it will die out in no time at all. but whether they are affordable for you (and there is nothing wrong if you are willling to spend on these and have the means to).. is another thing altogether.

anyways, for nd2/nd4/nd8, i don't think there is going to be very significant difference. the difference would probably come from flaring, ghosting, etc, these things will only be problematic when you shoot against direct sun or concentrated sources of light at night. beyond that, 6 stop, 8 stop, 10 stops, usually only premium brands (or decent brands) like hoya or b+w or the signature expensive brands like lee, hi-tech, singh-ray will have these, i think.

Last edited:
anyways, for nd2/nd4/nd8, i don't think there is going to be very significant difference. the difference would probably come from flaring, ghosting, etc, these things will only be problematic when you shoot against direct sun or concentrated sources of light at night. beyond that, 6 stop, 8 stop, 10 stops, usually only premium brands (or decent brands) like hoya or b+w or the signature expensive brands like lee, hi-tech, singh-ray will have these, i think.

icic, thanks for the info! ;)

i was looking ard for a ND400 filter (a real pain finding it in SG.. CP has to order it...and it takes forever) when i came across this on ebay.

does anyone have it? does it actually work? kinda fantastic if it does... 1 filter with adjustable ND.... :think:

I got my ND400 from John 3:16, waited like 1 day only.

Status
Not open for further replies.