ND filters 3 stops or 6 stops

HighTone said:
depends on your budget, getting a 5 or 6 stops is good. otherwise get a 3 stop minimally.

For some reason, I find this quite funny too.

You use what you need. To get 4 stops u can use either a single 4 stops filter or combine one 3 stops and one 1 stop filter (or two 2 stops but that's unlikely). Whether u want to stack or use single, it's really up to you.

so my question is what 3stop ND filter should i buy that is worth money XD

3 or 6stops. For me, it depend on what shutterspeed I'm trying to get at a fixed small aperture and base iso and the ambient light condition then. Which brand to pick depend mostly on what sort of color cast or no color cast it produce vs cost and availability.

assuming around 100 iso bright daylight

my m9 has 1/4000 fastest shutter speed, using f1 during daytime, i will need 1/8000 at least. which i dont have. so i use 3 stop nd to prevent overexposure, to allow a shutter of 1/1000 to be used with my f1 (with 3 stop ND)

my m3 on the other hand.. has 1/1000 fastest shutter speed. using a f1 lens during daytime, f1, same i will need 1/8000 at least, which i dont have.. so have to use 6 stop to prevent overexposure cos sometimes 3 stops is not enough (1/1000 just right)..

depends on what u want also..

so if u want to shoot longer shutter speeds during daytime like 10-13secs with f16-f22, get a 6 stop , even 10 stop ones (too shoot waterfall, water smooth like silk kinda thing).

OT: U from special assault force one right last time.. royal_assassin here, dunno u remember or not lmao.
really is see whats ur usage.

hope u can understand haha.

3 or 6stops. For me, it depend on what shutterspeed I'm trying to get at a fixed small aperture and base iso and the ambient light condition then. Which brand to pick depend mostly on what sort of color cast or no color cast it produce vs cost and availability.

Using ND and GND for sometime now, found that Tian-Ya and other OEM filters have color cast which I found it difficult to pp away, seeking other seniors for advise, any other brand with reasonable price to consider. :)

Using ND and GND for sometime now, found that Tian-Ya and other OEM filters have color cast which I found it difficult to pp away, seeking other seniors for advise, any other brand with reasonable price to consider. :)

You can try Lee or Singh-Ray

Lee filters are the best with no color cast.
2nd is HiTech.
Of course HiTech is much cheaper than Lee.

It seems the current Hitech filters are giving a magenta cast. Old batches (2 years ago) are ok.

And there are better filters than the standard Lee ND and GND. Lee gives out a very slight color cast at times. The Lee pro glass series are better.

Singh-Ray are also quite good but very pricey.

The best, I heard, are Schneider optic's glass filters.

Last edited:
Switched to z pro size recently n realised the Lee +2 GND is pretty color neutral. Unfortunately their GND transits a little too long a distance for my liking.

My Hitech +3 GND ( not the cheaper flexible one ) gave an irritating pale magenta cast which ended up more work for me. Removing a GND cast takes more work than an ND & I hate to spend too much time PPing.

My recently acquired B+W 10 stop multicoated filter is plagued by a warm purplic cast as well.

My old cokin p size singh rays worked arguably best when unstacked.

Ryan

i want to take scenery photo whereby the cloud is more visible? i am noob xD

S2Glow said:
i want to take scenery photo whereby the cloud is more visible? i am noob xD

Then I think you should be looking at gnd instead of nd...

Lee filters are the best with no color cast.
2nd is HiTech.
Of course HiTech is much cheaper than Lee.

You can try Lee or Singh-Ray

It seems the current Hitech filters are giving a magenta cast. Old batches (2 years ago) are ok.

And there are better filters than the standard Lee ND and GND. Lee gives out a very slight color cast at times. The Lee pro glass series are better.

Singh-Ray are also quite good but very pricey.

The best, I heard, are Schneider optic's glass filters.

Switched to z pro size recently n realised the Lee +2 GND is pretty color neutral. Unfortunately their GND transits a little too long a distance for my liking.

My Hitech +3 GND ( not the cheaper flexible one ) gave an irritating pale magenta cast which ended up more work for me. Removing a GND cast takes more work than an ND & I hate to spend too much time PPing.

My recently acquired B+W 10 stop multicoated filter is plagued by a warm purplic cast as well.

Ryan

Thank you for the great feedback, look like even one of the best brand on the market still have some color cast at time. Now with the camera technology improve so fast in such a short period of time, with camera ISO increase to 102,400, but for landscape photographer is looking into ISO 50,25 or even lower to replace the ND filter, this should not be even difficult for camera maker to include these features. GND filter should be able to added also, since all image are process digital, do not see any problem to include these into DSLR. :dunno:

May be I should also test using CPL filter during sunset shooting, I know the filter do not add any color cast and cut down some f/stop. :)

May be I should also test using CPL filter during sunset shooting, I know the filter do not add any color cast and cut down some f/stop. :)

CPL doesn't cut much light though, maybe 1.5 to 2 stops only.

Ryan

I agree with the assessment of the Hi-tech. It's not apparent immediately but you can tell the difference after a lot of shots..

The ND110 I have is not multi-coated but gives a warm orangey cast. It's a global cast though, that's so much easier to remove, through WB point selection. :)

Erm if the ND filter says (8X) How many stops is that?

SilverPine said:
Thank you for the great feedback, look like even one of the best brand on the market still have some color cast at time. Now with the camera technology improve so fast in such a short period of time, with camera ISO increase to 102,400, but for landscape photographer is looking into ISO 50,25 or even lower to replace the ND filter, this should not be even difficult for camera maker to include these features. GND filter should be able to added also, since all image are process digital, do not see any problem to include these into DSLR. :dunno:

If the native base iso is too low, high iso perofrmance will suffer. And people will complain more.

We have to work with the limitations. But as it is camera tech is already so advanced that one can make pictures previously not possible in the past.

Like many people say, it is the 12 inches behind the camera that makes the pictures

Last edited: