Nature's Distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiaen

Aug 12, 2009
Nature's Distortion

3856978525_d3ceeaf744.jpg

flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41636994@N04/3856978525/

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to seek some feedbacks in technical aspect:

exposure: I used the software built-in with flickr to do a simple exposure adjustment, increased contrast somewhat to bring out the dynamic feel of the bubbles, and to make the pool appear to be deeper.

Framing: I cropped the image, and leave more space on the right hand side to allow some breathing space for water flow.

as well as how well does this photo express the point 2

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I would want to bring out the liveliness of a koi pond, koi and the pond.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

in order to achieve 2, i took this shot under mid-day sun, where the brilliance of bubble really shines. I also pick a spot of water that is well agitated, hoping the water itself (and the bubbles) will give dynamic to the photo.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I hope this photo does achieve point 2. =) yet looking back, compare to the water, the kois feel rather static, any suggestions?

I'm just beginning to learn photography, any suggestions (in any aspect) would be very welcome and appreciated. thank you

All suggestions/comments are appreciated. Help this newbie out :)

Now come to think about it, the title I gave it in the beginning is not that fitting. Doesn't make the idea stand out. Ideas?

too much contrast and emphasis on the bubbles.
the fish feels like spot of colours underwater...

ur theme is liveliness of a koi pond.
in which case, the koi is important.
and do understand the nature of koi, they are peaceful and in harmony.
the feel of koi splashing around with bubbles... feels kinda odd.

Cropping the koi and leaving out the bubbles at the top might make the photo visually stronger

The picture looks flat and chaotic. Maybe try a lower angle, so the bubble could separate from the surface.
The form of the koi is rather distorted to the extent of not being able to recognise it immediately.

Thank you for the suggestions. :D It is on the messy side of things lol.

My intention of shooting this photo, is to record an slightly unconventional view of the koi pond, so the distortion of the fish n high contrasty bubbles were intentional. I should definitly try the lower angle next time when i get a chance. Now that you mention it, maybe the "flatness" of the photo is one big spoiling fault of this photo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.