National Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipha

Oct 17, 2006
Got myself as few tickets for this coming National day and intend to take some pics there. Presently, I am having a 350D with the standard lens (18-55), 50mm f/1.4, 28-135mm IS and 90-300mm.

I want to capture most if not all the moments with the fly pass and the fire works as the main objectives.

Will my lens be enough? (I doubt so) and how to make use of my lens properly?

Thanks & Regards

12-24mm lens is a better choice for the fire works as it is about 30m high, also becourse of the close distance in between. For close up of participants use a 70-300mm lens, I find it just nice. Hope this help.

i find that your setup is very much sufficient. THe kit lens could produce sharp pics at f8 and above. Which could be used for the fireworks. The rest of your tele is enough for capturing the flypast. Should you think that the lens is not fast enff, your 50mm 1.4 would be nice. but framing could be a tad tighter. just have to think 3X before shooting.

For the fly pass, I would suggest you to use your 28-135mm len cause it will be too darn close also, so unless you wish to zoom all the way to capture the fly pass aircraft one at a time in each frame, then you can use your telescopic len, 90-300mm.

As for fire works, if you wish to capture the fire works together with the stage or platform, think it's better to use 18-55mm len, if you wish to take a little close up on the fire works without the stage, then your 28-135mm will be more than enough.

If you have a sapre DSLR cam, fixed it with your telescopic len, and stand by to zoom in to any of the 3 tall commercial building to capture the fire work that will be coming up from the roof top.

Lucky chap to get a few tickets... But I got security pass to enter. Haha... :bsmilie:

12-24mm lens is a better choice for the fire works as it is about 30m high, also becourse of the close distance in between. For close up of participants use a 70-300mm lens, I find it just nice. Hope this help.

i find that your setup is very much sufficient. THe kit lens could produce sharp pics at f8 and above. Which could be used for the fireworks. The rest of your tele is enough for capturing the flypast. Should you think that the lens is not fast enff, your 50mm 1.4 would be nice. but framing could be a tad tighter. just have to think 3X before shooting.

For the fly pass, I would suggest you to use your 28-135mm len cause it will be too darn close also, so unless you wish to zoom all the way to capture the fly pass aircraft one at a time in each frame, then you can use your telescopic len, 90-300mm.

As for fire works, if you wish to capture the fire works together with the stage or platform, think it's better to use 18-55mm len, if you wish to take a little close up on the fire works without the stage, then your 28-135mm will be more than enough.

If you have a sapre DSLR cam, fixed it with your telescopic len, and stand by to zoom in to any of the 3 tall commercial building to capture the fire work that will be coming up from the roof top.

Lucky chap to get a few tickets... But I got security pass to enter. Haha... :bsmilie:
Thanks for all inputs, helps and needy suggestions. Please keep them coming so as to make me more prepared for the occassion. Thanks.:)

I also have the security pass to enter but cannot bring my family's members in with it unilke the 80's and 90's:cool:

Got myself as few tickets for this coming National day and intend to take some pics there. Presently, I am having a 350D with the standard lens (18-55), 50mm f/1.4, 28-135mm IS and 90-300mm.

I want to capture most if not all the moments with the fly pass and the fire works as the main objectives.

Will my lens be enough? (I doubt so) and how to make use of my lens properly?

Thanks & Regards

Are you intending to change among these lenses throughout the show?

If not, just bring the 18-55 (your widest avaliable angle for the fireworks) and the 90-300 (for shots of the performers on stage). Not sure if they allow tripods in on the actual day like they do for rehersals, but you'll need them for fireworks also. But as they mentioned on another thread, be mindful that in your eagerness to take photos, you don't block other audiences.:)

Last tip, check out the postings of CSers on the rehersals so far, they give you an idea on what time different performances will be comming on, you can plan and prepare your setup.

Happy shooting!

Your setup is enough for all those shots. Fireworks wise don't need an ultra wide, even my 17-40 is enough. Flypasts all these your 90-300 can take care but watch out for low-lighting and handshakes.

Are you intending to change among these lenses throughout the show?

If not, just bring the 18-55 (your widest avaliable angle for the fireworks) and the 90-300 (for shots of the performers on stage). Not sure if they allow tripods in on the actual day like they do for rehersals, but you'll need them for fireworks also. But as they mentioned on another thread, be mindful that in your eagerness to take photos, you don't block other audiences.:)

Last tip, check out the postings of CSers on the rehersals so far, they give you an idea on what time different performances will be comming on, you can plan and prepare your setup.

Happy shooting!
Thanks for ur advises.

Your setup is enough for all those shots. Fireworks wise don't need an ultra wide, even my 17-40 is enough. Flypasts all these your 90-300 can take care but watch out for low-lighting and handshakes.
Roger that.

Status
Not open for further replies.