My whole roll of film turned out unexposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
student said:
OK, just for discussion, and some light-hearted banter!

Of course, one can always press the shutter in any camera without looking at what you are shooting.

BUT

1 Is that a reasonable supposition?
2 How long will the exposure time be, given the fact that the lens cap is closed and the sensor is not receiving light at all?

exposure, yes that is true, you have a point there.

ortega said:
exposure, yes that is true, you have a point there.
could have been on M mode...

but back to the issue... i find it odd that of the 36 frames, only frame 2 had a tiny part exposed... i'm no photo-forensics scientist, but these are some of my thoughts...

film loading issue - iirc, the EOS500 is a prewind system (meaning the cam pre-loads the entire roll into the take-up spool. when a pic is take, it is wound back into the cartridge), would it not have given an err msg if it was not pre-loaded properly? if on the other hand, it would not give an err msg, would there not be 1 frame which it totally overexposed, as all the shots were taken on it?
forwarding issue - if it was a prewind (and assuming that it was loaded properly), frame 2 would have been one of last few shots, so chances are is that the film was being forwarded properly.
shutter issue - but you said okay leh?!

only other thing i have to add is the ISO setting. chances are the EOS500 can go upto 3200 or 6400, i had a friend how once accidentally set his cam ISO to 3200 having loaded ISO100 film. his shots turned out very underexposed, close to black (ignor following text "-> which could be as good as unexposed?!?!!", see subsequent post*)

not sure if any of this helps the discussion here... :sweat:

can anyone confirm if the EOS500 uses the prewind system?
* edited away to try to not confuse future readers

Cactus jACK said:
his shots turned out very underexposed, close to black -> which could be as good as unexposed?!?!!

I am not quite sure what you are talking about.

But in an underexposed negative, the negative is very light (technically called "thin"). If the negative is close to black, it is heavily overexposed!

Of course if you are talking about prints, then the images will be very dark as you alluded to.

But irrespective of how underexposed the negative is (within reasons of course!), there should still be some images on the negatives.

student said:
I am not quite sure what you are talking about.

But in an underexposed negative, the negative is very light (technically called "thin"). If the negative is close to black, it is heavily overexposed!

Of course if you are talking about prints, then the images will be very dark as you alluded to.

But irrespective of how underexposed the negative is (within reasons of course!), there should still be some images on the negatives.
ooops... you're right... my bad...

in that case, i really have nothing to add to this analysis of the unexposed film!!! :sweat:

Hmmm, after looking closely at the part of frame two that was exposed, I concluded that it was one of the few shots I've taken after loading the film, so I guess it doesn't prewind. I did set the ISO setting on the camera correctly.

After much reading, I've come to the conclusion that its either the winding mechanism thats faulty or theres something wrong with the shutter. After following Snowcrash's advice, I realised that the shutter closed with a two second delay after I set it at 10sec on Tv. Hmmm, I think I shall bring it in for servicing.

Thanks for all the help guys!

n0d3 said:
Hmmm, after looking closely at the part of frame two that was exposed, I concluded that it was one of the few shots I've taken after loading the film, so I guess it doesn't prewind. I did set the ISO setting on the camera correctly.

After much reading, I've come to the conclusion that its either the winding mechanism thats faulty or theres something wrong with the shutter. After following Snowcrash's advice, I realised that the shutter closed with a two second delay after I set it at 10sec on Tv. Hmmm, I think I shall bring it in for servicing.

Thanks for all the help guys!

sounds like classic problem: didn't load properly! happens to the best of us, even the pros. damned paiseh! :embrass: don't know if it can happen to autoloaders, though. is the eos500 an autoloader?

if the leader is not put properly into the take-up spool, the film does not leave the cassette and as such does not get exposed. the only ones exposed are the leader and first few frames before you close the camera back, so those will turn out black (completely exposed). You'll be happily snapping away unawares until you reach frame 38 and wonder if you got a bonus super-long roll! LOL!

i make sure the leading edges go into the sprockets, shoot a few shots with the back open just to make sure and take up the slack with the rewind crank. once you close, look at the rewind crank when you shoot (only applicable to manual ones lah! sorry). if that doesn't turn when you advance the film, you're in trouble! hope that helped. my S$0.02.

Cactus jACK said:
only other thing i have to add is the ISO setting. chances are the EOS500 can go upto 3200 or 6400, i had a friend how once accidentally set his cam ISO to 3200 having loaded ISO100 film. his shots turned out very underexposed, close to black]

accidentally set ISO to 3200, the shutter fires pretty darn fast right? is it because the camera thinks its using 3200 film?

n0d3 said:
I was shocked when I received back my roll of Kodak TMAX400 from Fotohub, it turns out that almost all my frames were not exposed at all, except for a tiny small bit in frame two. Sigh. I've examined the shutter unit of my EOS 500, it still opens/closes and does not jam. The 50mm f/1.8 worked fine on my 300D too. This is the third time I've been shooting film with the EOS 500 and the first two rolls of Kodak Gold 200 turned out just fine. So I was wondering what could have caused almost ALL 36 exposures to be totally not exposed? :dunno:

i kenna this before. the problem is the film was not loaded properly and it didn't latched onto the spindle. The film never advanced during the shoot. Canon cameras will skip a few inches of the film, and since the film didn't advance, the shots were exposed on the film-lead instead of the film.

doug3fflux said:
accidentally set ISO to 3200, the shutter fires pretty darn fast right? is it because the camera thinks its using 3200 film?

Yes, but I think depending on which film you use the camera is able to auto detect the film ISO. You know those contacts on the side of the film canister? I think that has something to do with it.

n0d3 said:
Yes, but I think depending on which film you use the camera is able to auto detect the film ISO. You know those contacts on the side of the film canister? I think that has something to do with it.

It's the black & sliver squares on the side. These are read by the contacts inside the camera where the film is inserted. i think tt all film for the last 20-odd years comes in DX-coded cassettes.

don't think those things break so they're rather foolproof.

n0d3 said:

Some fact for eos500:-

1) It prewind the film so your last shot will be the first exposure on the negative.
2) the grease/stain is the wear and tear for this model due to the rubber buffer for the shutter melted. common for the 5/500 series (not sure about the 50 since I don't own it)

Hmm, then since my first shot was on the second exposure on the negative, that probably means that it didn't wind properly. Haha, sigh. Guess I have to be more careful with loading the film next time. But it did sound as if the camera was indeed winding in the film and the counter went all the way up to 36. Hmmm.

n0d3 said:
Hmm, then since my first shot was on the second exposure on the negative, that probably means that it didn't wind properly. Haha, sigh. Guess I have to be more careful with loading the film next time. But it did sound as if the camera was indeed winding in the film and the counter went all the way up to 36. Hmmm.

This really2x sounds like the autoloader failed and the film wasn't properly loaded/leader didn't go into the take-up spool. The camera is an autoloader, right?

If only a part of the 2nd frame was properly exposed i.e. bearing an image taken through your lens, the preceding bits from the leader to that part are completely exposed i.e. black and the part from the properly exposed bit to the end of the roll is completely unexposed i.e. completely clear, then (I think) the camera probably advanced the film after you closed the back but did not go far enough to get the leader into the take-up spool. phew! what a mouthful!

Sounds like autoloader advanced the leader far enough for the part frame to be exposed properly but not enough to get the leader into the take-up spool. The counter can quite happily say frame #36 but if it's not pulling film out of the cassette, nothing else is going to be exposed. Hope that makes sense!

it may be your shutter
sometimes it works
sometimes it does not

anyway I try to avoid pre-wind cameras.
it is not what I like

the idea is not sound
if it is to prevent accidentally exposing when you open the back mid roll
then there are many 'accidents' to prevent
like dropping the camera, like splashing a cup of coffee on it,
etc.....

photographers are not idiots

Status