My Personal Crusade

Status
Not open for further replies.
togu said:
How about contributing your talent in giving proper photo critiques instead?

I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly taken and sloppy photographs from any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on Photography. But I know a bad photograph when I see one. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of Poorly Taken Photographs, where Photography is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of composition, aperture and shutter speed. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the camera.

How will I do this? I will re-take or post-process any examples of bad photography I come across and re-post it in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of Photography in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday photographic practices.

So take this however you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!

Minoxman said:
So should I get the 300D or D70?
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Trying to fight fire with fire???
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

togu, since you asked me not to correct your post, I will not. But it does need correction. :)

No you can't translate everything here into Mandarin. Firstly, the scale of your endeavour would kill you. :) Secondly...I think that's good enough reason. (Actually, I can't think of a second reason :p)

I really don't understand why correcting someone's English would generate more negative feelings than giving an opinion on a photo. The rationale is the same - to point out mistakes and help the photographer improve.

Look, I'm really a nice guy. If you know me, you'll probably think I'm nuts to do this, but you won't harbour such feelings of animosity towards me. I'm sure many of you are really nice chaps, too. We just have not had the opportunity to meet and be friends. We are being judged according to our posts. But it may be that we'll never find out what the other person is really like since I may not be welcome at any CS gathering.

So, onward I trudge with my task so thankless.

zaren said:
I am embarking on a Crusade. A Crusade to rid badly taken and sloppy photographs from any forum that I am registered in. By no means am I the most qualified person to do this. I am not even an authority on Photography. But I know a bad photograph when I see one. And this is the main reason for my Crusade.

I will continue to do so in the light of any criticism, ostracism and threats of physical violence. I will endeavour to bring light to this Dark Age of Poorly Taken Photographs, where Photography is so badly mangled by careless, indifferent use of composition, aperture and shutter speed. I will persist until the day you pry my cold, dead fingers from the camera.

How will I do this? I will re-take or post-process any examples of bad photography I come across and re-post it in its corrected form. I may not be able to do so for each and every post, but I will try. I am neither omnipresent nor omniscient.

I am doing this because of the blatant abuse of Photography in its everyday form, especially in local forums. This has spread its insidious influence into everyday photographic practices.

So take this however you will. Here I make my stand. And I urge the like-minded to take up arms and join me!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: And people say I've got too much time on my hands! zaren! You gonna kill yourself, man! Although I think more well-taken photographs exist than well-written/spoken English!

Sorry, I can't join you. My photographic skills are even worse than my English. And also, I have my hands full with my own crusade!

nightbreed said:
togu, since you asked me not to correct your post, I will not. But it does need correction. :)

No you can't translate everything here into Mandarin. Firstly, the scale of your endeavour would kill you. :) Secondly...I think that's good enough reason. (Actually, I can't think of a second reason :p)

I really don't understand why correcting someone's English would generate more negative feelings than giving an opinion on a photo. The rationale is the same - to point out mistakes and help the photographer improve.

Look, I'm really a nice guy. If you know me, you'll probably think I'm nuts to do this, but you won't harbour such feelings of animosity towards me. I'm sure many of you are really nice chaps, too. We just have not had the opportunity to meet and be friends. We are being judged according to our posts. But it may be that we'll never find out what the other person is really like since I may not be welcome at any CS gathering.

nightbreed, don't worry... many CSers are nice people and will welcome you at any CS gathering. however, i think you will agree there is a difference between posting a photo in the gallery which invites critique from other forum members, and receiving unsolicited english correction in the forum. people generally take constructive criticism well especially when they ask for it in the first place.

btw, i don't bother with capital letters in my posts.

cheers!

minox, I would get the D70. Only because I already bought into the Nikon system. But it looks to me like the 300D pictures are warmer. I may be wrong. By the way, did you post your question in the wrong thread? It seems out of place. :)

nightbreed said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: And people say I've got too much time on my hands! zaren! You gonna kill yourself, man! Although I think more well-taken photographs exist than well-written/spoken English!

Sorry, I can't join you. My photographic skills are even worse than my English. And also, I have my hands full with my own crusade!

nightbreed... this is kopitiam....believe anything you read here at your peril! ;)

nightbreed said:
minox, I would get the D70. Only because I already bought into the Nikon system. But it looks to me like the 300D pictures are warmer. I may be wrong. By the way, did you post your question in the wrong thread? It seems out of place. :)

no, minox is trying to introduce another controversial topic so that the ensuing heated debate will take the heat off you.

zaren said:
nightbreed, don't worry... many CSers are nice people and will welcome you at any CS gathering. however, i think you will agree there is a difference between posting a photo in the gallery which invites critique from other forum members, and receiving unsolicited english correction in the forum. people generally take constructive criticism well especially when they ask for it in the first place.

btw, i don't bother with capital letters in my posts.

cheers!

"don't worry... many CSers are nice people " - That's what I thought. And still think. Except for a few who have called me names. I reserve my judgement on those...:)

"i don't bother with capital letters in my posts." - that's ok. it has been considered as a writing style. refer to e e cummings' works.

"there is a difference between posting a photo in the gallery which invites critique from other forum members, and receiving unsolicited english correction in the forum." - Yes, you are right. Nevertheless, I will continue.

Thanks for being a friendly face in a sea of hostile ones.

zaren said:
nightbreed... this is kopitiam....believe anything you read here at your peril! ;)

Hmm. Now you've got me wondering... :dunno:

nightbreed said:
Hmm. Now you've got me wondering... :dunno:

that means you have to learn to differentiate between the "tongue-in-cheek" posts and the "serious" posts. :)

Night, yr goals are noble but yr intended execution of them is extreme and impractical. A degree of adjustment may result in higher success probability.

nightbreed said:

Do not try to martyr yourself to be some saviour of bad language. You are not. If you want, why don't you go read our daily broadsheet and try to spot the mistakes there? There are quite a few. Why don't you write in to the forum page and correct their mistakes? :rolleyes:

It's ironic though. This being a "kopi tiam" sub forum where people can come in, relax, be at ease but it would defeat the purpose when there is someone here nit-picking or correcting their mistakes and generally irritating the community at large.

It doesn't help when a question was posed to you and you chose not to answer it but edit the question instead. :rolleyes: As for outings, yes, i am quite sure you are a nice person IRL (i do hope so, for your own sake) and you can still join us for outings since most outings are open to public. I cannot promise you what kind of a reception you'll get but you have my word i'll be civil.

Finally, you mentioned that you have your hands full with this crusade of yours and have no time for taking pictures. If so, this forum has no place for you. This is ultimately a photographic community. Not a language school.

Have the good grace to leave by your own accord if your only intention here is to keep editing someone else's posts. Feel free to say all you want before this thread is eventually closed. You are however, welcome to stay around and share your critiques on photography or your pictures if you so desire.

Good day.

Wolfgang said:
Do not try to martyr yourself to be some saviour of bad language. You are not. If you want, why don't you go read our daily broadsheet and try to spot the mistakes there? There are quite a few. Why don't you write in to the forum page and correct their mistakes? :rolleyes:

It's ironic though. This being a "kopi tiam" sub forum where people can come in, relax, be at ease but it would defeat the purpose when there is someone here nit-picking or correcting their mistakes and generally irritating the community at large.

It doesn't help when a question was posed to you and you chose not to answer it but edit the question instead. :rolleyes: As for outings, yes, i am quite sure you are a nice person IRL (i do hope so, for your own sake) and you can still join us for outings since most outings are open to public. I cannot promise you what kind of a reception you'll get but you have my word i'll be civil.

Finally, you mentioned that you have your hands full with this crusade of yours and have no time for taking pictures. If so, this forum has no place for you. This is ultimately a photographic community. Not a language school.

Have the good grace to leave by your own accord if your only intention here is to keep editing someone else's posts. Feel free to say all you want before this thread is eventually closed. You are however, welcome to stay around and share your critiques on photography or your pictures if you so desire.

Good day.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hmm... personally, I find this whole discussion pretty humorous, and it really kills the time away in my office.

Isn't this what the kopitiam is about? coming up with creative ways to get people to start talking? It may not be to everyone's platter, but it has certainly generated numerous remarks all over.

However, its good that the whole discussion remains pretty civil so far. There are many things around us in this world which is just not going so well. To have the luxury of time and comfort to debate on such trivial matters really put everyone of us in a pretty lucky spot, don't you think?

Be blessed with what you have. :lovegrin:

Hey Nightbreed

You really "ngia ngia lai" in this forum. I don't see you protesting as vigourously in another forum. Neither do I see you correcting other people's posts there:

Offstone

Its nothing personal against you, but why are you not doing the same thing there?

P.S. Please do not bother to try correcting my English or sentence structures wherever you see them.

what's wrong with singlish? i really dun mind u collecting my english but tell me, what's wrong with writing singlish? it was 13 yrs ago that i took GP and god singlish was all over. i got a c5.

nightbreed said:

There are too many unexplained around us. I don't understand why I can't get that $750,000 condo in the NKF show. I don't understand why I can't shoot like Steve Mcurry. I don't understand why I'm always $10 lesser then Bill Gates.

There are just too many "I don't understand" thingy, a total disaster indeed. As long as your urge to pursue the truth doesn't irritates others, heh, who cares? For this case, since some members feel offended, you should put a stop to your quest.

Call it a low class forum if you want, there are 7000+ members enjoying the culture, the style, the mood, the feel, the people, the photos, the jokes, the equipments, the mods (maybe not ;p ), the shoots, the c**k talking here. Suggestions for improvments are always welcomed, but not at the expense on others. Savvy?

lavenderlilz said:
Hey Nightbreed

You really "ngia ngia lai" in this forum. I don't see you protesting as vigourously in another forum. Neither do I see you correcting other people's posts there:

Offstone

Its nothing personal against you, but why are you not doing the same thing there?

I wonder too. They only Buy/Sell, and don't talk? :think:

it's actually not a matter of speaking or writing proper english all the time..

it's about knowing how to communicate effectively with the other party and getting your ideas across..

there are some situations which call for proper spoken or written english and there are other situations which require otherwise..

it all boils down to common sense i guess? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.