My JBP Experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.

denizenx

Feb 1, 2002
L2TPYSG
Visit site
erm wow it's been something like 10 years since I last went JBP... could still remember the uphill circuit though LOL...

no digicam liao so using the eos 50 with 75-300 and 19-35...
wow 300mm is very nice! but I was using 1600 film which I know is no Reala... but I used Reala later and think 75% shots will come out bad... IS is a must, over 2.8, cos even at 4 the dof sometimes too short... and need a FP flash man...
but short dof is good for cages, to a point...
couldn't shoot any of the owls.. sigh... hummingbirds didn't feel like flying... the dumb bird was dozing off! LOL
the wide angle I totally forgot about... until I was walking about 5 mins away from the waterfall and was wishing I had a wide angle... (DUH)
spent 5 hours traversing the park.... 12+ to 6
how to get bald eagles to come lower? so that the backlight is not there...
but seriously 1600 film? sigh...
need tripod for the scenes... like waterfall and streams...

if tomshen readin this where are the nice mandarin ducks u shoot so much of? couldn't find them...

tried panning... so fun trying to catch the soaring pelicans...
saw the daylight moon and a stork flying high... but damn! missed the moment!
oh yeah I started using manual focus after the first few shots LOL and subsequently until I switched to wide angle...

mm... i plan to go there tomorrow. it's my first time and wondering what i should prepare?

Originally posted by chenwei
mm... i plan to go there tomorrow. it's my first time and wondering what i should prepare?

If possible, bring a teleconvertor and a tripod. And maybe external flash. ;)

Originally posted by Falcon

If possible, bring a teleconvertor and a tripod. And maybe external flash. ;)
sob sob... dun have external flash... :cry:

never been there, just wonder how much is the entrance fee and how long u can stay inside? :eek:

Originally posted by chenwei

sob sob... dun have external flash... :cry:

never been there, just wonder how much is the entrance fee and how long u can stay inside? :eek:

You can be there all day long during its opening hours. I think cos ard 9++ after discount(Nets card).

posb is 9.60... normal is 12

bring a small water bottle the drinks are EX there, and tripod if u like, it's a hot day man!!!

I just brought my cam bag with my cam+ lens+ batt... umbrella+ 600ml bottle+ discman... I find the discman wonderful for concentration... after discovering the lack of ppl besides me then I look at my watch lol... then sudenly energy left me wanna die on the spot...

I think since first time only, bring minimal lor.. can go back another day... not like some fireworks+opening carnival... ;p

Originally posted by denizenx
IS is a must, over 2.8, cos even at 4 the dof sometimes too short... and need a FP flash man...

Hang on, your 300mm lens cannot open up to an aperture of f4. So how do you know that the DOF is too shallow at f4?

FP flash? How so. While it would be nice, I generally never get above 1/250 shutter speed anyway. If you're even faster than that, then why is IS a must? I can understand one or the other, but I struggle to see how both would be necessary at the same time.

U can get a year-pass for a whole family. Its call Friends of the Birds or something like that. Allows u free access for up to four persons whole year.

The mandarin ducks are just after the bridge in front of the SEA rainforest. Maybe it is not mating season so the ducks never show their true colours. The colourful ones are males who only show colour when they have the need....:D

Originally posted by Jed

Hang on, your 300mm lens cannot open up to an aperture of f4. So how do you know that the DOF is too shallow at f4?

FP flash? How so. While it would be nice, I generally never get above 1/250 shutter speed anyway. If you're even faster than that, then why is IS a must? I can understand one or the other, but I struggle to see how both would be necessary at the same time.

heh 300 is at 5.6, but got 75 at 4.0 mah... but it is my mistake becos mostly it's 300 at 2-3 metres away that gives the shallow dof of around 1" only...

LOL Jed! 1/250 is FP for my camera already!!!
Of course I summarized by saying what I wd have, ie IS over 2.8, FP flash etc.. eg I wanted to shoot a duck flapping its wings madly at 1/200. I was at 300mm and wanted to capture the eyelight and to freeze the wings. 300mm to me is super shaky, hence IS or <1/300, and my flash is at 1/125 tops... I had no tree trunk or railing to lean against... so it was a non-shot when my flash icon blinked...

LOL the 1/200 is not the duck's speed, it's my metered shutter...

Heh. Time to UPGRADE THE CAMERA!!!

EOS1Ds, EOS1Ds, EOS1Ds, EOS1Ds...

Status
Not open for further replies.