My Friend's Wedding - The correct settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_BEE_

Apr 1, 2004
Dear All,

I will be using my SLR Film Camera to shoot at my good friend's wedding. To be on the safe side, I would like to confirm the "standard settings".

For Daytime:
EOS 300, Metz 54 MZ 3 Flash on Auto, F5.6, 1/30, ASA 200 (I read that is good to use 1/45 but I do not have this setting on my analog SLR)

For Ballroom Dinner:
EOS 300, Metz 54 MZ 3 Flash on Auto, F5.6, 1/30, ASA 400

Am I on the right track?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bee :)

you have to keep an eye on the exposure meter, just in case the light change
there is no "standard setting" but you are roughly there.

If in doubt use P mode

you prob need to factor in the 1/focal length rule as well, depending on your shoot style. Some people overcome this with a rear curtain flash, but some couples don't like motion blurred photos.

I think 1/30 or 1/45 shutter is too slow for action or event posting shot.

I would think 1/60 with flash is a minimum safe limit.

Personal preference. :D

I don't mean to put you down but if you have to ask all these questions then I hope you are not the main photographer. This is a once in a lifetime event for your friend, don't spoil it for him. Please don't take offence, just my opinion.

1. Use ASA 400 all the way, but ISO set @200. (the main idea is overexpose the negative by one stop, shoot a test roll with daytime outdoor, indoor with daylight, and indoor lighting only, you will notice the color will be more saturated)
  2. Use A mode for daytime, when indoor, can use M mode and go down to 1/30.
  3. When it is outdoor during day time, can set to P mode, but watch out for back lighting subjects.
  4. Bring extra films, batteries, label all your films (eg. roll 1, 2, ..)
  5. Always keep track on how many frame left in the camera, reload a new roll for important event even the you have not finish the exiting roll.
  6. Plan ahead, think fast, work fast.

Hope this help.

jbma said:
I don't mean to put you down but if you have to ask all these questions then I hope you are not the main photographer. This is a once in a lifetime event for your friend, don't spoil it for him. Please don't take offence, just my opinion.

My friends insisted that I take for them. They keep reassuring me that they are fine with me taking the pictures. That means I get to take their wedding for "fun" too. Of course wish to take nice pictures for them. :)

Thanks so much for all the tips. Just a few more questions.

1. What about my flash? I intend to set it to auto as I am not competent using my flash.
2. What do you mean by 'Use A mode for daytime, when indoor, can use M mode and go down to 1/30'? Do you mean that I use 5.6 when in M mode most of the time?

;-) Bee

_BEE_ said:
My friends insisted that I take for them. They keep reassuring me that they are fine with me taking the pictures. That means I get to take their wedding for "fun" too. Of course wish to take nice pictures for them. :)
Make sure your friend pay for all the materials you used, btw, don’t forget to scan a CD from negative for them, and remember to keep a copy for yourself.

_BEE_ said:
Thanks so much for all the tips. Just a few more questions.

1. What about my flash? I intend to set it to auto as I am not competent using my flash.
2. What do you mean by 'Use A mode for daytime, when indoor, can use M mode and go down to 1/30'? Do you mean that I use 5.6 when in M mode most of the time?

;-) Bee

Forget to mention, you are shooting with flash for almost all the shots and even it is during outdoor.

What I mean is during daytime when you are at void deck, corridor, and foyer. The available light may be a little too bright for 1/30, so best is set to A mode.

When you are in a house, room, you can set to M mode, using 1/30, able to capture some ambient.

Personally, I don’t like to set to slow sync, sometime it went below handheld speed, all the setting I share with you is base on Nikon system.

catchlights said:
Forget to mention, you are shooting with flash for almost all the shots and even it is during outdoor.

What I mean is during daytime when you are at void deck, corridor, and foyer. The available light may be a little too bright for 1/30, so best is set to A mode.

When you are in a house, room, you can set to M mode, using 1/30, able to capture some ambient.

Personally, I don’t like to set to slow sync, sometime it went below handheld speed, all the setting I share with you is base on Nikon system.

Thanks catchlights. Your tips have been very useful.

If 1/30 is too slow, is 1/60 acceptable if I were to use M mode and use with f5.6? Is 1/60 acceptable for wedding dinners too?

catchlights .... you are so nice, willing to teach and share :thumbsup: and let me this newbie learn something new too :kiss:

_BEE_ said:
Thanks catchlights. Your tips have been very useful.

If 1/30 is too slow, is 1/60 acceptable if I were to use M mode and use with f5.6? Is 1/60 acceptable for wedding dinners too?

This depends do you have a steady hands, able to do hand held with slow shuttle speed like 1/30. You can use 1/60 if you think is more appropriate.

I have heard lots of complaints from couples said that some photographers fail to capture the ambient of the ballroom during dinnertime. The main idea is to register some ambient light in the background, without have too much risk of motion blur or hand shake.

Hope this help.

xxxger said:
catchlights .... you are so nice, willing to teach and share :thumbsup: and let me this newbie learn something new too :kiss:

You're welcomed.

Btw, when will you be start shooting digital?

Remember to shoot all in RAW, must come back at least with 1500 images, OK? :bsmilie:

How about the flash leh?

I have an omnibounce and have not cut out my bounce card. Should I just make do with my omnibounce? Can I just set my flash to auto all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.