My D.I.Y Camera insert for Adidas Messenger bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masamune

Apr 6, 2008
Woodlands
Got the bag as a present for my b'day sometime back.
Popped by Crumpler and was set back at the price of their camera insert (ard $80+) :sweat:

Hence, I decided to make my own.

Foam taken from the the packing material of an IBM laptop.

Bought from the Felt Sheet below @ $9+ and thin sponge @ $5+ (not shown) from Art Friend

The porous glue ($7+) and duct tape ($4) was bought from HomeFix

Cutted the box of the Dell Port Replicator to form the skeleton and made sure it could fit inside the bag.

Masamune

Apr 6, 2008
Woodlands
The sides and bottom were protected from the foam. The front and the back had 3 folds of sponge and glued to the box.

Closer look.

The inside is now covered with Felt Sheet. Duct taped around to ensure it doesn't slip. I'm no good with needles and threads. =p

The partition is made of a foam wrapped in duct tape.
Able to hold 1x big lens (or 2 small ones stacked on top of one another), my A700 with/without VG, 5600 HS flash.

And to make it water resistant using a big plastic bag.

Masamune

Apr 6, 2008
Woodlands
Though a little puffed up, the final product

Things are quite snuggly fitted inside the bag. The addition of the plastic bag was to make it more weather resistant. Still looking for a BIG ziplock bag to resolve this :think:

At least now, i won't be carrying around a camera bag that screams rob me ;p

Pardon the lousy pix. They were taken using a phone cam. But i do think they are enough to help visualize :sweat:

Last edited:

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would love to do sumtink liddat, but my stuff wld never fit in. :sweat:

Masamune

Apr 6, 2008
Woodlands
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would love to do sumtink liddat, but my stuff wld never fit in. :sweat:
What're your lenses? :bigeyes:
What's inside is just a 18-70 and 135 F2.8.
I had meant it for a walkabout bag :sweat:
I think any heavier, the strap will break -_-"

sORe-EyEz

Jun 28, 2005
SGee
But crappy craftsmanship :bsmilie:
dun worry, u may improve on ur next wan. its rather cool. the foam padding is of good quality, it will not flatten anytime soon! :thumbsup:

actually, u dun need the card board as its quite rigid itself. if the felt material tears away due to heavy useage, try sewing with a thick thread (use big needle) by hand at regular intervals, a spacing at least 5mm apart so it wun tear along the lines.

nice work!! :)

luna_sea83

Jul 17, 2005
East
What're your lenses? :bigeyes:
What's inside is just a 18-70 and 135 F2.8.
I had meant it for a walkabout bag :sweat:
I think any heavier, the strap will break -_-"
he needs a duffel bag size :bsmilie:

Masamune

Apr 6, 2008
Woodlands
dun worry, u may improve on ur next wan. its rather cool. the foam padding is of good quality, it will not flatten anytime soon! :thumbsup:

actually, u dun need the card board as its quite rigid itself. if the felt material tears away due to heavy useage, try sewing with a thick thread (use big needle) by hand at regular intervals, a spacing at least 5mm apart so it wun tear along the lines.

nice work!! :)
Thanks for the compliment. ^^

To me, the cardboard acts as a guide and "skeleton" for the entire insert. I tried gluing the foams and they just won't stick well. Super glue will melt it ><
So i stuck the foam to the cardboard box instead to ensure it stays in place.
The cardboard box is of good material too. Luckily, Dell did not scrimp on this. :sweatsm:

Thanks for the advice. I will try sewing when there's wear and tear. I did leave a bit of slack for the felt sheet inside and it's made of 2 separate layers actually. One longitudinal and one latitudinal so it will still be able to move around even though slightly. Prolonged usage should result in more slack though. Then i will try sewing. =p

coolsigg

Nov 28, 2005
nice DIY effort! but hor, OP selling OEM Crumpler style bucket for $20 only...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom