My D.I.Y Camera insert for Adidas Messenger bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masamune

Apr 6, 2008
Woodlands
Got the bag as a present for my b'day sometime back.
Popped by Crumpler and was set back at the price of their camera insert (ard $80+) :sweat:

Hence, I decided to make my own.

Foam taken from the the packing material of an IBM laptop.
3132286575_449760be2e_m.jpg

Bought from the Felt Sheet below @ $9+ and thin sponge @ $5+ (not shown) from Art Friend
3133111500_72a3591ff2_m.jpg

The porous glue ($7+) and duct tape ($4) was bought from HomeFix
3133111564_3487574796_m.jpg

Cutted the box of the Dell Port Replicator to form the skeleton and made sure it could fit inside the bag.
3133111626_27f1daba14_m.jpg

The sides and bottom were protected from the foam. The front and the back had 3 folds of sponge and glued to the box.
3132286901_faf4bef24c_m.jpg

Closer look.
3133111780_cc4bb86a58_m.jpg

The inside is now covered with Felt Sheet. Duct taped around to ensure it doesn't slip. I'm no good with needles and threads. =p
3133111868_7e9808bba5_m.jpg

The partition is made of a foam wrapped in duct tape.
Able to hold 1x big lens (or 2 small ones stacked on top of one another), my A700 with/without VG, 5600 HS flash.
3132287115_68433dbf8b_m.jpg

And to make it water resistant using a big plastic bag.
3132287179_47586285c4_m.jpg

Though a little puffed up, the final product
3133112096_4be42b1569_m.jpg

Things are quite snuggly fitted inside the bag. The addition of the plastic bag was to make it more weather resistant. Still looking for a BIG ziplock bag to resolve this :think:

At least now, i won't be carrying around a camera bag that screams rob me ;p

Pardon the lousy pix. They were taken using a phone cam. But i do think they are enough to help visualize :sweat:

Last edited:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would love to do sumtink liddat, but my stuff wld never fit in. :sweat:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would love to do sumtink liddat, but my stuff wld never fit in. :sweat:

What're your lenses? :bigeyes:
What's inside is just a 18-70 and 135 F2.8.
I had meant it for a walkabout bag :sweat:
I think any heavier, the strap will break -_-"

But crappy craftsmanship :bsmilie:

dun worry, u may improve on ur next wan. its rather cool. the foam padding is of good quality, it will not flatten anytime soon! :thumbsup:

actually, u dun need the card board as its quite rigid itself. if the felt material tears away due to heavy useage, try sewing with a thick thread (use big needle) by hand at regular intervals, a spacing at least 5mm apart so it wun tear along the lines.

nice work!! :)

What're your lenses? :bigeyes:
What's inside is just a 18-70 and 135 F2.8.
I had meant it for a walkabout bag :sweat:
I think any heavier, the strap will break -_-"

he needs a duffel bag size :bsmilie:

dun worry, u may improve on ur next wan. its rather cool. the foam padding is of good quality, it will not flatten anytime soon! :thumbsup:

actually, u dun need the card board as its quite rigid itself. if the felt material tears away due to heavy useage, try sewing with a thick thread (use big needle) by hand at regular intervals, a spacing at least 5mm apart so it wun tear along the lines.

nice work!! :)

Thanks for the compliment. ^^

To me, the cardboard acts as a guide and "skeleton" for the entire insert. I tried gluing the foams and they just won't stick well. Super glue will melt it ><
So i stuck the foam to the cardboard box instead to ensure it stays in place.
The cardboard box is of good material too. Luckily, Dell did not scrimp on this. :sweatsm:

Thanks for the advice. I will try sewing when there's wear and tear. I did leave a bit of slack for the felt sheet inside and it's made of 2 separate layers actually. One longitudinal and one latitudinal so it will still be able to move around even though slightly. Prolonged usage should result in more slack though. Then i will try sewing. =p

he needs a duffel bag size :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:
Since the new SAF duffel bag comes with wheels now, maybe he should consider that as a possible cheap alternative to transporting his gear. :dunno:

nice DIY effort! but hor, OP selling OEM Crumpler style bucket for $20 only...:bsmilie:

So cheap :bigeyes:
When this breaks, then i'll consider that :sweatsm:

yep...iirc, it has 5 compartments with detachable foam pieces etc...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.