My 1st Night Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
#15 refers,

Thanks, you've got my statement correct.

For night photography, pls get a copy of this An eye on Hong Kong by Keith Macgregar, at Bras Basah Complex, second level, Knowledge Books...cost $15/= ( no regrets )

Keeps on taking nite scene, until one day....put your picture side by side with the book cover and said...YES, YES..I am now just equal to him....then can start to go down the mountain .

#17 refers,

If any one here ever attend seminar or talks given by master photographer will have notice one thing. That is, in all these talks, the speaker will hardly mention any type or brand of equipment that he used to shoot the picture, or any specific f/stop or shutter speed.
Normally, they will emphasis on the QUALITY of the Lights or QUALITY of the Photograph. They will use words like...large/small aperture, fast/slow speed, medium/fast speed film/ISo etc to provide information, as they know, every photographer will meet a different situation, at different time and place.

An experience fisher man will have to know... the current of water, tide, location and moving pattern/season/habits of different fishes, the different size of hooks/tackle and weight of line, how to tie the knots etc in order to be able to get the fish that they want, and of course...LUCK.

As photography is part of ART, doesn't means that if Van Gogh uses no. 5 brush, and one use a no. 5 brush will be able to paint master pieces like he do.

Yeah those shots are pretty good for first time night shots, what kind of lens is that? Looks pretty fast. I see you've also used ND filters, how do you find them?

Hi im using the EFS 18-55 IS, Only #2 using Hoya ND4 filter from CP @ $20 the rest no filter :bsmilie:

dennisc,

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Lao Tzu"

* thumbsup *

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day" "Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

very nice, i wanna take this kind of shots!

i also dunno y my night shots are blurry. used tripod yet still blur. wanted to post and ask for opinion but forum doesnt allow me to post attachments.

u got use any photoshop ?

TS, any reason u choose Shutter speed 8 sec on picture 1?
or just trial and error?

Below are some points, basing on my own experience...

1) To get that " perfectly " exposed shot...just do a series of test and make a record of the aperture and shutter combination, just on one subject. Set camera on sturdy tripod. For night scene, set the aperture as constain..say f/11, meter thro camera, expose as accordingly, then set the exposure increment by 1/2 + & - exposure compensation for 4 exposure up and 4 down. With a 9 shots series, should be able to find one " perfect " shot.
Any book on exposure will always recommend this method, or should say I'd learnt from this method.

2) Do not include an area of darkness or extreme brightnees of more than 5% ~10% in your picture composition, because they will bring attention to viewer like...I think the left is a bit dark or the top right is overly bright.

With these 2 guidline set as a rule....trial and error will slowly be a thing of the past.

Haha great photos there.. Very good quality for a beginner like myself already. This shows a entry level camera with standard kit lens can perform a good job like the pros too haha... Keep up the great work there! Oh for your 2nd shot it might be better if you got the whole shot of the buildings but still great photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.