Mr Wang Says So - To Join or Not to Join

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten a much better education over here in new york than in singapore, they look at your personality and drive alot more than your grades.
Ask people who've studied in the US and they will tell you the difference in mentality, in the way that people are selected for jobs or opportunities.and they must be doing something right if they have such a huge pool of talent.

doesn't grades reflect on your "drive and mentality" during your schooling years?

Trust me, I see the people they select for doctors, might as well save the time and let the best go in base on merit. Although I agree I am not suited for doctor, but I feel my friend who was rejected is REALLY suited for doctor. He is one of the most responsible and filial friends I have. In the end, he took up chem eng in Imperial college and Phd in MIT. And still he felt bitter over the medical selection process.

As to fair evaluation and reward system, how do you know if the guy getting rewarded is not due to bootlicking? I mean he could be an idiot in school, get all Ds, come to work, bootlick the boss until happy happy so boss says GOOD PERFORMANCE at work...

my point is nothing is fair in this world so :dunno: try not to get too worked up over things lor

Of course, nothing is perfect. Of we need to take everything into consideration. Education, trainings, experiences, acheivements, personality, drives and many others I have no idea what, all contribute to a person's success.

The reason we got onto this discussion is, some system, like the one in Singapore, place way too much weight on education and training. By education and training, I meant a certificate, a diploma, a degree.

Let's say I am hiring an analyst. The person has 10+ years expereinces, and I got good references regarding acheivements over time. Do I care or should I care the person has bad grades in university? Do I care if the person graduated from a lesser know university?

Of course, if the person is a fresh grad, it's a very different story. However, should I disregard other indicators, and just zero in on the school/grades/degrees/diplomas/certificates?

I've gotten a much better education over here in new york than in singapore, they look at your personality and drive alot more than your grades.
Ask people who've studied in the US and they will tell you the difference in mentality, in the way that people are selected for jobs or opportunities.and they must be doing something right if they have such a huge pool of talent.

I don't know anything about education in New York, but I agree from MY own personal experience that the education system here needs to be tweaked.

But on another level altogether, who's to judge what is BETTER or WORSE? Is there a proper measurement system in the first place? =D There are also flaws in the US system, I'm sure you'd acknowledge that.

And no, there is no DIRECT link between doing something right and having a large pool of talent - though of course if you maximize everyone's potential a lot better, it is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.