Mr JB Jeyaratnam has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not? i expect front page news.

ST is know to be pro-Government. Typical examples like more attention given to a certain party compared to opposition. I wonder if JBJ's death will be on the same scale as the death of one Parliament member recently (isit?) I cant remember his name, or a miserable half section on a single page. :think:

He stood up for what he believed in
A lone figure against the political tide
A bastion against the monopoly of political ideology
Hopefully an inspiration for those who never has the privilege to meet him
Greatly missed and fondly remembered

I doubt it.

Did you ever see him peddling books in Raffles Place area during his time in bankcruptcy?

Not only did people not buy his books, people avoided him.

ST is know to be pro-Government. Typical examples like more attention given to a certain party compared to opposition. I wonder if JBJ's death will be on the same scale as the death of one Parliament member recently (isit?) I cant remember his name, or a miserable half section on a single page. :think:

You meant Dr Ong Chit Chung. I think ST will still run a page or two.

I doubt it.

Did you ever see him peddling books in Raffles Place area during his time in bankcruptcy?

Not only did people not buy his books, people avoided him.

All I can say is just because he is in the minority doesn't mean that what he believed in is wrong. People can avoid him for various reasons besides the sole reason of not sharing his beliefs.

Rest in Peace JBJ.

Last edited:
this man got character and courage :thumbsup:

RIP old man... you may finally rest those tired legs

i hope that some of the senior members of govn will be magnanimous and say some nice things about JBJ.. after all said and down, he sought to serve the public interest and some respect is surely due.

heaven is always unfair, some other people deserve to die long time ago but they still living happily, yet ppl like JBJ who i respected highly has to go unfortuntately... where is equity in this world?

Nothing to do with right or wrong. Just the assertion that he will be greatly missed and fondly remembered by many.

Who? How many?

By his political enemies?

By those who avoided and shunned him during his life?

By the ST?

Frankly, apart from his friends and relatives and ex-colleagues, and a few "western" human rights groups, I doubt there'll be many others who will miss or remember him.

ahbian said:
All I can say is just because he is in the minority doesn't mean that what he believed in is wrong. People can avoid him for various reasons besides the sole reason of not sharing his beliefs.

Rest in Peace JBJ.

You can be sure they'll do the politically correct thing, even those who drove him into bankcruptcy.

i hope that some of the senior members of govn will be magnanimous and say some nice things about JBJ.. after all said and down, he sought to serve the public interest and some respect is surely due.

You know, I don't think he wanted to rest, he had just started the Reform party.

this man got character and courage :thumbsup:

RIP old man... you may finally rest those tired legs

Truly an icon in the s'pore political landscape. Alot of people think that the Opposition were formed to create trouble but i guess most were trying to chip in to the nation in terms of an alternative view/opinion.
Long may u rest in peace coz in u i learn the word -RESILIENCE.

they will, i am sure.

let me help. it was death of ong chit chung, mp of jurong grc.

To me, it does not matter whether his believes is mainstream or alternative, what it matter is that he has his own beliefs, his own principle and stood by his own beliefs. For this, I respect him. May he rest in peace and my sincere condolences to his family.

he stood despite the financial and legal odds against him.

heaven is always unfair, some other people deserve to die long time ago but they still living happily, yet ppl like JBJ who i respected highly has to go unfortuntately... where is equity in this world?
Er... he's 82 years old, how long more do you think he will live? :dunno:

Er... i made an almost similiar remark about a p-p v senour mp in his 80s. i was called disrespectful. thread was closed. how come here can? haha! must be hari raya's eve.

Er... he's 82 years old, how long more do you think he will live? :dunno:

Uncle Lee's older than that :D

PS: No hidden meaning

Last edited:
Er... i made an almost similiar remark about a p-p v senour mp in his 80s. i was called disrespectful. thread was closed. how come here can? haha! must be hari raya's eve.
There is a difference. You will never see me making such a remark when the person is still alive, that is respect. And now that JBJ is dead at a ripe old age of 82, I believe he had lived a full life.

Edit: Went to search for the life expectancy and found that the life expectancy for Singapore male (2007 figure) is 78.2 while Singapore female is 82.9.

Details can be found here: http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/keyind.html]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.