More News on the new Panasonic DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
weekh said:
Any idea how much is the retail price?

I really love the look. If it function well as any normal conventional camera in normal mode, I don't really bother with the live-view and 1 sec delay in shutter release. I may just get it.

US$1,999 including lens (14-50 mm OIS)

"Yes, operating the aperture is one of the real joys of shooting with any SLR camera, digital or not. That's why we insisted on giving it an intuitive touch. The fact that turning the ring lets the user "feel" the aperture opening or closing makes the L1 ideal as a photographic tool. We also didn't want to lose the familiar operating feel of a classic camera simply because the L1 is a digital camera.

People who have used Leica lenses for many years and photo enthusiasts who enjoy using rangefinder cameras will appreciate this operating feel, and first-time users will be surprised at the crisp, positive feel that it gives them. Still, it's a result of placing our priorities on the best possible operation, rather than an attempt to achieve a retro feel. "

:bsmilie: I like what is written these two paragraphs. Funny how a progressive company like Panasonic (with input from Leica no less) can conclude that changing the aperture via a ring on the lens is more intuitive than via a thumbwheel on the body.

A feature that Nikon has recently dumped in their newer G lenses (ala Canon EFs). When it ain't broke - don't fix it. The engineers at Panasonic have their heads screwed on right. Can't say the same of the current staff at Nikon....or users who blindly accept unnecessary changes in UI.

Zann Tiang said:
old press release said that it will be priced near canon 20D.

it's a different league from sony a100. (D50 competitor)

personally, i'm excited about the camera.
it's the vintage controls layout that will make it sell.
e330 is far far away.

only worry is image noise.
i wouldn't care about the frame rate as it will be shooting in manual mode that i am interested in.
this camera is not meant to be high frame rate shoot and choose type.
it's the shoot in manual and shoot in fast type.

users with old canon system and nikon system will understand what i mean.

I hear ya.

Hacker said:
US$1,999 including lens (14-50 mm OIS)

Me thinks that they have priced it too high....it might not sell too well.

tomcat said:
It can't be dimmer than the E-330 and I don't find the E-330 dim at all compared to all the other DSLRs that I have used thus far and so I think the L1 would do just fine.

What Phil Askey is lamenting about is that the L1 took the risk of dimming the viewfinder and yet didn't put in a second CCD like the E-330 in its implementation of the Live View feature.

But design-wise, this camera is a dream-come-true for old-timers who still yearn for the good old days of analog controls in film SLRs. Those who have handled the LC1 would know what I mean. The LC1 is a pure work of art and a joy to use for those who appreciate the beauty and simplicity of its design. In this respect, I'm sure that the L1 will not disappoint.

I, for one, would be looking forward to owning one soon .... and it would certainly form a matching set with my LC1. ;)

hi tomcat, u still have ure LC1? miss the feel and look of the camera, and that nice summicron lens.

The L1 looks really tempting:D

Read the introduction at Dcresource and quite interesting that this camera has the 7 "film" mode function to choose from. :think: Emm...Provia; Velvia, Ilford H2...etc:lovegrin:

lim8395 said:
hi tomcat, u still have ure LC1? miss the feel and look of the camera, and that nice summicron lens.

The L1 looks really tempting:D
Am still keeping mine. Can't bring myself to sell it off even though I almost never used it anymore to take photos. Every once in a while, I would take it out and play with the analog controls... feels so shiok. :heart:

The LC1 (and Digilux-2) has got to be the best qualitied digicam ever made. What still surprises me is the attention to tiny details that most other brands of digicams and DSLRs chose to take for granted (and omits) that still sticks out the most when I think of this camera... the way the SD card door feels and sounds when it closes (like a Mercedes Benz's car door compared to other consumer makes)... the way the battery compartment door locks down... puts even $5K DSLRs like Canon 5D to shame. And that Summicron lens is truely to die-for ... the only Lumix lens that has ever lived up to the Leica name and reputation then and now. The overall impression I got is that the LC1 was designed with love. How could I sell such a camera? :dunno:

so much info and when is the release date in singapore~~ hahaha

the waiting is killing me.

tomcat said:
Am still keeping mine. Can't bring myself to sell it off even though I almost never used it anymore to take photos. Every once in a while, I would take it out and play with the analog controls... feels so shiok. :heart:

The LC1 (and Digilux-2) has got to be the best qualitied digicam ever made. What still surprises me is the attention to tiny details that most other brands of digicams and DSLRs chose to take for granted (and omits) that still sticks out the most when I think of this camera... the way the SD card door feels and sounds when it closes (like a Mercedes Benz's car door compared to other consumer makes)... the way the battery compartment door locks down... puts even $5K DSLRs like Canon 5D to shame. And that Summicron lens is truely to die-for ... the only Lumix lens that has ever lived up to the Leica name and reputation then and now. The overall impression I got is that the LC1 was designed with love. How could I sell such a camera? :dunno:

wat, u nt using it to take photos? man i personally feel the images beat the hell out of the other cams. but gd thing u keep also, very hard to find nw. ah, miss the LC1. So far i hardly see anyone using the leica digilux2 in spore.

lim8395 said:
wat, u nt using it to take photos? man i personally feel the images beat the hell out of the other cams. but gd thing u keep also, very hard to find nw. ah, miss the LC1. So far i hardly see anyone using the leica digilux2 in spore.

Why did you sell it then? Especially after getting yours repaired (replaced?) by Panasonic Singapore.

But what you said about the image quality is true though. They have a certain intangible quality about them and don't look like those of any other digicams that I have used so far.

Ben Lifson, well-known photographer, critic and teacher, summed up exactly what I felt about the LC1 in his article on the LC1/Digilux 2 in 'The Luminous Landscape'...

"After just a few hundred frames with the LC1 it occurred to me — using it was like shooting with a real camera, not a computer with a lens attached — which is what so many digicams remind me of. Not to disparage all digicams. Some are very good, and though the paradigm is different, one gets used to it. But for long-time photographers who enjoy the feel of shutter speed knobs and aperture rings and the control that a manual focus ring gives, the LC1 / Digilux twins will feel like coming home again."

...the main reason why I am now so interested in the L1. ;)

compro_1975 said:
sorry to say, it looks o-biang ...
Thats suppose to be the classic look - like the much sought after Leica cameras of old.

For example see here.

But then maybe you not of the 'classic' generation - you more xbox generation. so cannot appreciate obiang stuff. :D :D

I'm not sure if the dimmed viewfinder could be fixed, cause with only 1 LiveMOS sensor, they are using a half-silvered mirror to reflect light into the optical viewfinder, and the other onto the sensor ?

Not sure

lim8395 said:

Hey lim, wat camera u using now??

Status
Not open for further replies.