monopod for nature trekking

Status
Not open for further replies.

icelava

Feb 5, 2009
Bishan
www.flickr.com
I wish to use a monopod for fast phototaking while trekking around in nature. My friend has advised me to buy a good one that I can keep for life; instead of a weak one that I'll dispose off in the future in favour for a more advanced model.

The thing is i have no experience into what makes a good monopod. Where should I be starting to get a better idea on what I ought to buy? I use an EOS 450D.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention I am around 5 feet tall.

Last edited:
found that Gitzo makes many models. For a rated strength of 8Kg, i think the suitable model (aluminum) is the GM2341.

I know Canon doesn't make monopods for starters. Wrong subforum bro :bsmilie:

What you'd look out for in a monopod is its weight (whether it'll weigh you down), height (will you be able to use it without having to bend), possibly quick deployment, material, handling, and length when not extended.

Also consider getting a tilt head for the monopod.

i ask here because i was wondering if there is any relation to the tri/monopod and head model based on the brand of cam or lenses. I guess not? It's a universal market?

Last edited:
i ask here because i was wondering if there is any relation to the tri/monopod and head model based on the brand of cam or lenses. I guess not? It's a universal market?

Nope, usually it's quite universal. Of course, you'd have to take into account weight tolerance of each monopod, but that's also largely independent of brand.

EOS 450D = 475g; Speedlite 430EX = 330g; if i get a maximum of 70-200mm lens around 1.4Kg. Total equipment weight round to 2.3Kg?

I am not planning to get any model rated more than 10Kg.

Oh anyway i was at K13 this afternoon, and they had some Gitzo models to show me. I was somewhat uneasy with the 5-section design as the bottom section meant it was very thin. Sure it is carbon fibre and is strong but the point of ground contact is so little i hardly felt it stable. Last night (when there were no Gitzo models to look at) I had a feel of the aluminum Manfrotto 680B which feature much thicker 3-section tubes. Holding it I felt more stable given the wider base. It is also three times cheaper to boot (i.e. $100 odd vs $300 odd).

I may be wrong with my gut feel, but i've been advised not to invest so much on just a monopod alone, and the Manfrotto model seems like a better fit at this point.....

What do you plan to photograph? Animals or landscape?

If animals, a monopod may suffice.

But if landscape, only tripods work. You can consider getting yourself a carbon fiber Benro tripod. Not cheap but not too expensive (like Gitzo) either.

What do you plan to photograph? Animals or landscape?
good question; i failed to cover that.

Planning to go Chek Jawa, mainly to capture close up plants. maybe try some macro insects. That's why i just intent to stick cam to monopod, see somethnig, jab monopod to ground, snap, walk away. Don't wanna stretch out tripod and setup all three legs.

Last edited:
Get Gitzo Carbon Fibre(6x) Monopod.

You may consider these models:
1) GM3551 192cm/54cm (Height)
2) GM2541 160cm/53cm

Just went Chek Jawa, Pulau Ubin last week.
Wow... Wat you are doing is a BIG gamble on you camera..
Imagine drop into the wetland...
I have a Manfrotto 560B Monopod

If you want one that is specifically designed for that, a trekking monopod. I have one that I did a MO a year ago for me and a few trekkers, works great, holds up well. Don't have any pictures at this was a special order, but if you want, can you you view it. PM me if you interested, last spare one.

A decent Benro one would do.... go look around. ;)

What you'd look out for in a monopod is its weight (whether it'll weigh you down), height (will you be able to use it without having to bend), possibly quick deployment, material, handling, and length when not extended.

Also consider getting a tilt head for the monopod.

Can we directly mount our camera or lens with tripod ring directly to a monopod? Is it essential to have a head on monopod?

I've seen some pros mounting their tele primes directly to monopod.

Regads,

Can we directly mount our camera or lens with tripod ring directly to a monopod? Is it essential to have a head on monopod?

Regads,

You can do so... if you're not going to shoot in any other orientations... i.e. straight forward only, with the monopod directly perpendicular underneath. This is done to keep the weight down and also to have one less piece of equipment to worry about. :)

Someone suggested looking at the offerings from Trek-tech. looks interesting; tripod-monopod hybrid

http://www.trek-tech.com/

however, i believe that is for level ground, which may make stabilising on nature terrain a challenge....

Last edited:

Regads,

teleprimes got collars right?

Status
Not open for further replies.