Monitor Recommendation - Do I need wide Gammut?

Sol81

Aug 4, 2009
I am thinking of getting either

Dell U2410, Dell U2711

or

Dell ST2420L

Question is if I am working on sRGB space (my camera set to sRGB and not sure what lightroom is set to at default...)

do I need a wide gammut monitor like the Dell Ultrasharp series for photo editing (I am not a professional here)

If I buy a wide gammut monitor would I have problem calibrating it with just Spyder Pro? can I set the wide gammut monitor to work with just sRGB?

The whole color management topic is very confusing for me... hope someone can enlighten me on this topic.

You can setup Lightroom to work in sRGB. But it doesn't hurt to leave the standard setting at AdobeRGB, just make sure that when exporting the files that the colour space is set to sRGB.
For Spyder Pro: you will need version 3 to calibrate such a monitor. AFAIK, version 2 does not support wide gamut monitors.

I have spyder 3 pro.

So if my camera is set to sRGB and if leave lightroom to be adobeRGB (which is a higher color space then sRGB) and I am using a wide garmmut screen (which is calibrated correctly using spyder 3 pro), my pictures when working in lightroom would look right?

2nd question is .. if I only work in sRGB and export in sRGB .. is there a need for a wide gammut monitor?

If you're not a professional, chances are you won't ever need it.