Minolta Old & New Flash Reference Portal

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hiee....all KM users out there.

Here i would like to start a thread for posting of photos taken with the help of the KM wireless system.

Please post one or more photos where wireless flash has been used to achieve the desired result. This to help newer users have tips on using the wireless flash.

Here is the guideline:
- Post photo/s
- To include setup information i.e placments of flash based on image taken etc.
- Flash modes/setting

Hopefully we can share this "not that many example" feature of the flash.

To kick Off for those who do not have any idea on...here are a couple of external references:
- http://home.imcnet.net/~waltsman/flash.html
- http://www.samys.com/articles/gary_friedman/flash.html

Tools in reference - Minolta Dedicated or Compatible Third Party

Minolta 5600 HS Flash (S$570)
maximum GN is 56m @ 85mm
GN at 50mm = 44m
Auto zoom range= 24-85mm, 17mm with included wide angle adaptor
Manual zoom override= yes
AF auxiliary light= yes (up to 5m)
Hi-speed sync= yes
ADI= yes
Modelling flash= yes (with other 5600HS flash)
Remote flash= wireless TTL (no wireless ADI)
Head type= tilt & swivel
Tilt level= -10 / +90 degrees
swivel level= 270 degrees
manual flash output= full to 1/32
max. strobe frequencey= 100 Hz
Flash exposure compensation= via camera body feature only
2nd curtain sync. (via body feature)= yes
illuminated LCD= yes
weight= 370g
price = S$570

Minolta 3600 HS (D) Flash (S$230)
maximum GN is 36m @ 85mm
GN at 50mm = 29m
GN at 28mm = 22m
Auto zoom range= 24-85mm, 17mm with included wide angle adaptor
Manual zoom override= yes
AF auxiliary light= yes (up to 7m)
Hi-speed sync= yes
ADI= yes
Modelling flash= yes
Remote flash= wireless TTL (no wireless ADI)
Head type= tilt
Tilt level= 0 / +90 degrees
swivel level= no (if no swivel feature, you can only use bounce to take horizontal (landscape) photo, you can't bounce to the ceiling if you take vertical (portrait) photo. This may limit your bounce-flash pictures to landscape orientation unless you use wireless bounce. Therefore, must think carefully if you need to bounce flash a lot in future especially for hectic day wedding photography)
manual flash output= no
max. strobe frequencey= ?
Flash exposure compensation= via camera body feature only
2nd curtain sync. (via body feature)= ?
illuminated LCD= ?
weight= 260g
price = S$230

Sigma EF-500DG Super
Guide number: 50/m (165/ft) ISO 100 (with the zoom head at 105 mm) ZOOM 28mm 35mm 50mm 70mm 85mm 105mm
G.N.(m) 30 35 40 46 48 50
G.N.(ft) 100 115 132 152 158 165

Power source Four AA alkaline or AA NiCd or Ni-MH (Nikel Metal Hybride) batteries
Charging time 6 seconds (when using alkaline batteries)Approx. 4 seconds (when using NiCd, Ni-MH batteries)
Number of flashes Approx. 220 flashes (when using alkaline batteries) Approx. 100 flashes (when using NiCd, Ni-MH batteries)
Illumination angle Automatically set in accordance with the focal length of the lens, in a range from 28 mm to 105 mm. Also covers the angle of a 17-mm lens when used with the built-in Wide Panel.
AF auxiliary light Red LED
Bounce angle (Up) 0, 60, 75, 90 degrees
Bounce angle (Right) 0, 60, 75, 90 degrees
Bounce angle (Left) 0, 60, 75, 90, 120, 150, 180 degrees
Tilt angle (Down) 0, 7 degrees
Weight 335g / 11.8 oz. (without batteries)
Dimensions
(W x H x D) 77 X 139 X 117mm / 3.0 X 5.5 X 4.6 inch

SOme relavant Site with Older Flash Systems:
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/TTL%20Flash.htm

rgds,
sulhan

Allow ex-minoltian to start off first.. :embrass:

Some may have seen this pix before already, its was my supper.. :bsmilie:

51971220.jpg

Simple Setup

1) 5600HS with umbrella at top right corner, slightly to the back.
2) Reflector on my left.
3) 7D + 100mm macro

Metering
Manual, 1 stop over. F/8 at 1/125, ISO100

Bang! Done.

Hiee Pals...

Here is an example of how i used the 3600HS for Wireless fill for deep field during a family portrait shot. Due to the deep field nature of homes with bad lighting - i did not want to use slow sync due to the ligting used in my in-laws house.

As i need to fire one mainlight for the main portrait, two flashes were used - 5600HS(main) and 3600HS(remote).

The result:

wireless_exp1.jpg

With flashes both on same channel - The 3600HS was placed in a distance on a table in the dining area to the left of frame. This is pointed upwards for ceiling bounce to "shower" light to the other section of the house.

THe 5600HS on wireless too placed on the right - position on Ceiling bounce too for the main portrait location.

Setting:
----------
Aperture Priority - F4 used here.
To avoid too darkended rear - allowing enough ambient rear illumination.
EV - Set to +1 due to the nature of the bounce.

- Camera setup on tripod.
10 second timer release used here.
- Finally, take the shot.

Comments and queries welcome.

rgds,
sulhan

hi Sulhan,

do you mean your 5600HS was mounted on the 7D? and 3600HS in wireless? i remember the 5600HS mounted on the 7D could not be used as commander to trigger other wireless flash? unless i'm wrong. :think:

Don.

Drudkh said:
hi Sulhan,

do you mean your 5600HS was mounted on the 7D? and 3600HS in wireless? i remember the 5600HS mounted on the 7D could not be used as commander to trigger other wireless flash? unless i'm wrong. :think:

Don.

I have added some missing words.....yes you are right both on wireless....

rgds,
sulhan

This is a very useful thread, Sulhan. The wireless flash system is something not commonly explored by Minoltians. Thank you for sharing. :)

The few times I tried wireless, my 5600 always ends up overexposing the subject... unless I manually set.

Hiee Pals...

Here is a short one on how you can juz do a quick product shoot in case you wanna sell lens or other stuff.....

Using the wireless flash is one way to give the item a fresh look. Here it goes..

lightbox.jpg

Samole outout using one 5600HS on the right and a 3600 on the left...

lightbox_output.jpg

Setup: Just set camera to Wireless...and then put item in the "makeshift-softbox" and fire...:angel:

rgds,
sulhan

Hi all...

Me total newbie to flash photography. Juz recently acquired a 5600HS for my D5D & thinking of getting a diffuser to compliment it. I tend to shoot mainly interiors (as in houses & showrooms) at the moment, plan to pick up event, wedding & studio portraiture shoots in future too (when I can squeeze out the time!!). Anyone has any idea how do bounce cards, omni-bounce, lightsphere & lumiquest stuff compare to each other??? :think: Need some advice...

Pls don't tell me buy 1 of each hor... no budget ah... :sweat:

limkopi said:
Hi all...

Me total newbie to flash photography. Juz recently acquired a 5600HS for my D5D & thinking of getting a diffuser to compliment it. I tend to shoot mainly interiors (as in houses & showrooms) at the moment, plan to pick up event, wedding & studio portraiture shoots in future too (when I can squeeze out the time!!). Anyone has any idea how do bounce cards, omni-bounce, lightsphere & lumiquest stuff compare to each other??? :think: Need some advice...

Pls don't tell me buy 1 of each hor... no budget ah... :sweat:

No budget then make your own bounce card. That's the cheapest. Get white corrugated cardboard. Cut to size, Stick velcro on one side. Stick the other velcro side onto the flash head. U are ready to diffuse your flash.

Or I notice that for low ceilinged homes (aka HDB), bouncing the flash off the ceiling gives very good diffuse and even lighting. But u create shadows under everything in the frame.

Come for KMOS on 1 Dec and try out all of the above (except Lumiquest) lor...

Hiee Pals....

Anyone interested in meeting up and try out the use of wireless flash for creativity...
This might take a few steps in the process...:
1 -Signing up and gatherin name of those interested (preferably those with flashes)
2- From "1" we can identify the number of flashes that will be present in the meetup
3- Those who sign up share an idea on how you want the lighting to be setup.
4- We eill pick probably the best 5 or 6 setups based on the ideas submission.
6- Organise outing to try the selectted 5/6 setups.
7- Get the results and document it on a dedicated website....

Anyone game for it?

Rgds,
Sulhan

Interested, but you need to give us the time for meeting up and for how long though. Preferably weekend.
1. Sulhan
2. zcf 5600HS(D)

Interested, but you need to give us the time for meeting up and for how long though. Preferably weekend.
1. Sulhan
2. zcf 5600HS(D
3. hellrock 5600HS(D) + 5400 HS (long time no use. need to use it again with my 700si or D5)
4. AncientMariner - 5600HS(D), 3600HS(D)

Hi there.

This is a good guide for wireless flash!

I have another question here.

If I am shooting a stage performance and want to prevent shadows on the back stage curtain. I place a 3600HSD at the rear end of the stage and I move about between front left and right of the stage. Do I still need to get a bracket with 5600HSD(wireless/cable) mounted on my cam to shoot at different angles from the front?

1. Sulhan
2. zcf 5600HS(D
3. hellrock 5600HS(D) + 5400 HS (long time no use. need to use it again with my 700si or D5)
5. kelster - 5600HS(D), 5400HS (hvta depend on date thou...)

antere said:
Hi there.

This is a good guide for wireless flash!

I have another question here.

If I am shooting a stage performance and want to prevent shadows on the back stage curtain. I place a 3600HSD at the rear end of the stage and I move about between front left and right of the stage. Do I still need to get a bracket with 5600HSD(wireless/cable) mounted on my cam to shoot at different angles from the front?

U need a few flashes to cover the whole background or to cover only a certain area of the background...

TME said:
U need a few flashes to cover the whole background or to cover only a certain area of the background...

Can be either.

Just curious on any better way to mount one of the flash on the camera and shoot on the subject when I move around. So it will end up that the flash will fire from where i stand always.

1. Sulhan
2. zcf 5600HS(D
6. Agetan - 5600HS (D) - only back on 21 Jan, so have to be after 21 Jan. Prefer night time.

Hart

Agetan said:
1. Sulhan
2. zcf 5600HS(D
6. Agetan - 5600HS (D) - only back on 21 Jan, so have to be after 21 Jan. Prefer night time.

Hart

if i have time i can drop down with my 5600, lightsphere portrait, photojournalist with inverted dome... think others have the bounce flash for 5600, so no need to bring... wat else?