Minolta Old & New Flash Reference Portal

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
if i have time i can drop down with my 5600, lightsphere portrait, photojournalist with inverted dome... think others have the bounce flash for 5600, so no need to bring... wat else?

Okay, I can bring along my a softbox and a pocket bouncer.
Er, if needed a flash extender and tent, too.:bsmilie:

sulhan said:
Hiee Pals...

Here is a short one on how you can juz do a quick product shoot in case you wanna sell lens or other stuff.....

Using the wireless flash is one way to give the item a fresh look. Here it goes..

very cheap solution!!! pictures are nice!!! i'll try it ASAP

Hi folks....

Did a committee shoot for my hostel's committees yesterday.. so just thought i would post a few pictures up to share... and to seek advice from you out there on how to improve the lighting... :)

I really quite like the Minolta Wireless flash system.. and will definitely try out more stuffs with it when i have the time (exams coming soon.. heh)..but for the time being.. just a quick and easy setup to get the shoot going....

This was a low budget (NO budget rather) shoot.. Two flashes (Minolta 5600 hsd and 3600hsd) mounted on two tripod, extended to the max possible height without sacrificing stability. Placed on a plane slightly in front of the photographers, one at each side, pointing towards the subject(s). Had to make do with whatever equipment i have, so mounted a Ommibounce on the flash on the photographer's right, and a gary fong lightsphere on the left flash. Both flashes were bounced at approximately 75degrees towards the ceiling. Backdrop was "mounted" on wall using masking tape. Location was at the hostel's gym (hence the gym bench u can see in some of the photos).

Setting was Aperture priority modes, +0EV, ISO200, f5.6, 1/60s, Flashes were set to TTL-WL and WL mode (for 5600 and 3600 respectively). Comments/advice/suggestions welcomed.

clubsnap3.jpg

CLUBSNAP11.jpg

clubsnap2.jpg

Regards,
Rongren

hiee bro...

great stuff. if you could do a simple plan sketch would be nice....
then those who need to use it next time can refer to your layout...

hiieez Sulhan..

thanx...two more days of shoot... will take a picture of the setup/do a sketch later tonight =)

Regards,
Rongren

Overall nice setup.

Watch your framing......can see the floor. Shoot at lower level and have the camera pointed up slightly. ;)

rOnGrEn said:
Hi folks....

Did a committee shoot for my hostel's committees yesterday.. so just thought i would post a few pictures up to share... and to seek advice from you out there on how to improve the lighting... :)

I really quite like the Minolta Wireless flash system.. and will definitely try out more stuffs with it when i have the time (exams coming soon.. heh)..but for the time being.. just a quick and easy setup to get the shoot going....

This was a low budget (NO budget rather) shoot.. Two flashes (Minolta 5600 hsd and 3600hsd) mounted on two tripod, extended to the max possible height without sacrificing stability. Placed on a plane slightly in front of the photographers, one at each side, pointing towards the subject(s). Had to make do with whatever equipment i have, so mounted a Ommibounce on the flash on the photographer's right, and a gary fong lightsphere on the left flash. Both flashes were bounced at approximately 75degrees towards the ceiling. Backdrop was "mounted" on wall using masking tape. Location was at the hostel's gym (hence the gym bench u can see in some of the photos).

Setting was Aperture priority modes, +0EV, ISO200, f5.6, 1/60s, Flashes were set to TTL-WL and WL mode (for 5600 and 3600 respectively). Comments/advice/suggestions welcomed.

clubsnap3.jpg

CLUBSNAP11.jpg

clubsnap2.jpg

Regards,
Rongren

Use a longer backdrop, long enough such that the backdrop also encompasses the floor, so that no floor will be seen. If you go to studios, you'll notice that the backdrops are like that too, unless you want to cut off the legs/feet, otherwise no matter what, you will include the floor.

As for lighting, I thought its a very nice even lighting. Good for straight forward portrait, but I'll look forward to some more interesting illumination for more artistic shots from KM users to furthur demonstrate the capabilities of KM's wireless flash. There are several examples on the Internet, but it'll be cool to see some work of our local photographers. ;)

Thanx yeocolin sulhan and tankm for the comments....

Yeap... tried lowering the camera angle on the 2nd day of shoot.. and the floor still can be seen. A longer backdrop , such that it drapes over and cover the floor, would certainly be preferred. The limitation i faced was that the backdrop was only 3m x 4m, and some of the groups are really big. We had to squeeze 3/4 rows of people and thus its not possible to extend the backdrop towards the front as we need the "height". Also sinces there are 3/4 rows of people, we will need a considerable length of backdrop to extend to the front.

Another alternative would be to go for a tighter crop, but theres a limit to how much i can crop or frame the picture if i don't want the floor, yet maintaining the 3:2 ratio and not cutting anyone out from the frame.

Like yeocolin, i look forward to seeing more artistic or creative shots of KM users using the flash system.

sighz... test coming up in 4 hours... hope the lecturer is playing a April's fool joke on me... haha.. will update again on the 2nd day of shoot later. Ciaoz....

Regards,
Rongren

Rongren, u staying at KR? I thought that is no longer a hostel?

Anyway, could u use two pieces of backdrop? Change the backdrop to something else where u can get two pieces of? Then it should solve the problem... the way around having too many people is to shoot vertical with them lined up back to front... this helps to fill the frame...

simple diagram:
Usually: IIIIIIIIII
IIIIII
^
camera

Or can try:

IIII
III
III
II
II
^
camera

This does not solve the problem of the backdrop but solves the fill frame and perspective issues...

Hi TME...

OT a bit..yeap staying in Kent Ridge Hall...chairing the photocomm there..u were from nus? KR has always been around.. just that they shifted from the old location (opposite SRC) to the new location at Heng Mui Keng Terrace (Near Business Library). The old premise has been converted into another student residence i think..

Thanx for the input TME.. just did a shoot for 44 people on the 2nd day and had to separate them into 6 rows...wasnt easy and the backdrop can be hardly seen .. :sweat: received another feedback from my fren that for small group shots... i could have put more distance between the subject and the backdrop, this would blur the backdrop n make the creases less visible, and make the shot look less 2d.

This was a no budget shoot for all the committees in the hall (40 over comms) ... everything came from my pocket.. (even the backdrop) ..so to have 2 backdrops would be quite xiong :bsmilie: .. heh... Having this shoot's experience, will definitely plan more carefully for upcoming shoots.

Oh, KR has now shifted to Heng Mui Keng terrace.... nice place though rather far away from the action... :) I used to stay in KR, that was 10 years ago.... :) I thought the previous place opposite the SRC is now a Alumni House but I dun know that the rooms are used for though...

I thought your shots were pretty good... lighting very balanced plus a nice backdrop... doesn't matter if u can see the creases, it's part of the design... a bit of a industrial design... photo shoot in a disused warehouse, etc... kind of feel...

TME said:
Oh, KR has now shifted to Heng Mui Keng terrace.... nice place though rather far away from the action... :) I used to stay in KR, that was 10 years ago.... :) I thought the previous place opposite the SRC is now a Alumni House but I dun know that the rooms are used for though...

I thought your shots were pretty good... lighting very balanced plus a nice backdrop... doesn't matter if u can see the creases, it's part of the design... a bit of a industrial design... photo shoot in a disused warehouse, etc... kind of feel...

hi tme.. thanx for the reply..
yeah new KR is a bit far but i'm ok with it lar.. got "free" shuttle buses anyway.. facilities are new :)

the part of old KR thats on the same side as the SRC is now a alumni house i think... the part opposite the road is now another residence...

Anyway have been quite busy with school and committee photoshoot so haven't been updating this thread.. finally can some time since weekend is coming... the following picture is the setup (simple and ez setup.. but as long as it works.. y not:D )... Tripod to simulate the position of the photographer, and thats one of my members at the right. (to improve the workflow and to cut down on processing time, I alternate between my 2 memory card and one person will be in charged of uploading and editing the photos while the other memory card is being used in the camera)

cs4.jpg

The purpose for the shoot was to take photographs for all the committees in the Hall (40 over comms) and each comm was asked to come up with their own theme, although some ideas were suggested by us. Some really came with outrageous theme (like shower caps, shampoo and bodies covered tactically by towel)... here are some of the more interesting ones that can be posted. :bsmilie:

First... finance comm... who sportingly responded to our call of bringing fake money... and took the following shot... (although some faces cant be seen... but due to the tight schedule, we only had time to do it 3 times..)...idea borrowed from one of my friend's comm shoot.
cs5.jpg

Second.. Wardrobe comm came in their different costumes and i pulled my friend aside to do this shot.... IIRC, the flash on the right was still at the position as per the setup in the previous post, while the other flash was handheld high by one of my members on my left.
cs6.jpg

Next, a last minute request by the Dinner and Dance comm to do a shoot for the pageant people for publicity purposes. The pageant will have another proper studio shoot during the holidays. Again a no budget shoot, and the location used was a normal room. Notice the backdrop was hung lower in this setup such that it extends and drapes over the floor. Main light used was a 3600HSD set on WL mode with a GF Lightsphere ID, with a translucent reflector held over it by the dear D&D comm chair. Was trying to simulate a "softbox".. hahahaha :bsmilie:

cs31.jpg

Must say i really have very little experience on studio lighting or even shooting in a studio... will definitely venture more into studio shooting when my holiday comes... but anyway here are some of the shots that day. Just trying to share examples of what we can do with the Minolta wireless system and hope to see more examples of people using the wireless system so we can all learn from each other!

Only one light was used for this shot (as per the setup in the previous post) and as such you could see some shadows formed by one person on another. Maybe i could have used a reflector or another flash on the left side? But anyway i am quite ok with the way it turns out..
cs11.jpg

Here another one using the main light as in post #35, but now with a 5600HSD set to manual and WL mode, 1/32 Power output, hidden behind the couple.

cs21.jpg

Comments/Advice/Criticism/Suggestions welcome! :)

Regards,
Rongren

rOnGrEn said:
Must say i really have very little experience on studio lighting or even shooting in a studio... will definitely venture more into studio shooting when my holiday comes... but anyway here are some of the shots that day. Just trying to share examples of what we can do with the Minolta wireless system and hope to see more examples of people using the wireless system so we can all learn from each other!

Only one light was used for this shot (as per the setup in the previous post) and as such you could see some shadows formed by one person on another. Maybe i could have used a reflector or another flash on the left side? But anyway i am quite ok with the way it turns out..
cs11.jpg

Bottom left girl not looking into the camera... otherwise excellent...

TME said:
Bottom left girl not looking into the camera... otherwise excellent...

dunno how u feel, but i think the photographer or coordinator is a left hander... ;p

some how he think & feel with the right side... feel... alot... for the right side...

But the rest of the girls in that shot are all looking straight into the camera... in fact he captured their expressions rather well... their eyes especially... captured their spirit...