MINDEF takes PM Lee's son to task for contravening orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
SINGAPORE: The Defence Ministry has formally charged and reprimanded a full-time National Service officer after he contravened orders by broadcasting a letter of complaint to other servicemen.

Second Lieutenant Li Hongyi, who is a son of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, had apparently sent an email to the Defence Minister to lodge a complaint against another serviceman.

2LT Li is believed to have copied the email to other servicemen who are not directly under his command and are not in an official capacity to deal with the matter.

His action has been a subject of several on-line discussions here.

MINDEF says there are proper channels within the SAF to address grievances or concerns.

And in this incident, 2LT Li is said to have written a complaint against another officer whom he alleged had been absent without leave on two occasions.

According to a statement by MINDEF, 2LT Li had also said in his letter that he had reported the matter to the officer's supervisors but disciplinary action had not been carried out.

MINDEF adds that arising from 2LT Li's complaint, an investigation was conducted and appropriate disciplinary action has been meted out to the officers concerned.

The officer who was found to have been absent without leave will be court-martialled.

Two supervising officers have been issued warning letters for poor judgement in administering inappropriate disciplinary action.

MINDEF says to maintain organisational discipline, all SAF servicemen with complaints or grievances should take them up through proper channels for redress.

This is to ensure due process and to protect confidential information.

All complaints which are not anonymous are investigated and dealt with properly. - CNA/ir

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/287836/1/.html

I'll bet diz thread is gonna be very short lived...

IF so, then that tells you a lot about this wondrous country. Just irks me that people are willing to stand up for such a country if things aren't right!

I see the news just for wayang. If someone else did it, prob would be in hot soup by now :eek:

huh? just PM's son bunknife his fellow comrades only mah...

why the news?

Welcome to Singapore.

Anything regarding anyone related to anyone else in a position of power is very interesting to the bored people of Singapore, because they can't whack the people without power without feeling like they're doing something wrong. So they whack the people associated with the people with power, and feel smug about it.

Personally I find the piece of news very much inane, so many people have gotten charged in the past, but only this one makes news.

I had posted up a few news in the past, which well, should be interesting to photographers but those threads get untouched, but just look at any thread to do with gahment, wah biang, sure got people come in and give their 80 cents worth. 2 cents not enough already.

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold..." ;)

Welcome to Singapore.

Anything regarding anyone related to anyone else in a position of power is very interesting to the bored people of Singapore, because they can't whack the people without power without feeling like they're doing something wrong. So they whack the people associated with the people with power, and feel smug about it.

Personally I find the piece of news very much inane, so many people have gotten charged in the past, but only this one makes news.

I had posted up a few news in the past, which well, should be interesting to photographers but those threads get untouched, but just look at any thread to do with gahment, wah biang, sure got people come in and give their 80 cents worth. 2 cents not enough already.

well, not the PM's son kena charge also wat... its the guy whom he bunknife kena charged, and another 2 senior officer kena dunno wat...

or am i reading the article incorrectly?

well, not the PM's son kena charge also wat... its the guy whom he bunknife kena charged, and another 2 senior officer kena dunno wat...

or am i reading the article incorrectly?

The Defence Ministry has formally charged and reprimanded a full-time National Service officer after he contravened orders by broadcasting a letter of complaint to other servicemen.

^^! Everyone kena charged la haha.

I'll bet diz thread is gonna be very short lived...

Pls dont live like in the khmer rouge regime lah. If it's the fact n nothing wrong, Y SCARED? Lucky the mods are not like tt. We shd live in a freedom of fear!!! This is not myanmar or some other communist country.

Be it PM or president, if he's wrong, he's wrong. Dont be a poddle of some big shot. Live freely pls...

"2LT Li is believed to have copied the email to other servicemen who are not directly under his command and are not in an official capacity to deal with the matter.

His action has been a subject of several on-line discussions here."

I think these 2 sentences are the key part of this report.
Normally, these kind of military internal affairs should be dealt with internally, without announcing to the public, but apparently, it's been blown up online so MINDEF needs to come out to make an official statement.

huh? just PM's son bunknife his fellow comrades only mah...

why the news?
Its not abt bunkniving his fellow colleague.

Its abt where the letter was directed to in the first place.

Anyway, I thought the punishment would be much, much heavier, esp for officers. Like what Justice Bao always say, "Even if the Emperor commits a crime, he'll be put to death." thus he was given 3 guillitoines - one of dog head (execution of commoners), one of tiger head (execution of officials) and one of dragon head (execution of royals).

Its not abt bunkniving his fellow colleague.

Its abt where the letter was directed to in the first place.

Anyway, I thought the punishment would be much, much heavier, esp for officers. Like what Justice Bao always say, "Even if the Emperor commits a crime, he'll be put to death." thus he was given 3 guillitoines - one of dog head (execution of commoners), one of tiger head (execution of officials) and one of dragon head (execution of royals).

well, anybody got the copy of the email?

[OT] so got 3 type of ropes in singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.