Military Historical Battle Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi singscott

No, I dun think so. Is it near Changi Prison ?

Hmmm......
I feel so ashmad, staying in Singapore so long yet never been to such an important places. :embrass:

KT, I thing we should start organising outings of this sort and get us familiarized with what we have in Singapore.

Yep. The chapel is near Changi Prison. Along the same road in fact.

Nice place to watch football at night, chill out. The food and drinks are not bad either.

Yep. The chapel is near Changi Prison. Along the same road in fact.

Nice place to watch football at night, chill out. The food and drinks are not bad either.

You mean they turned it in to some kind of resturant? Anyway I seen the old site before they shift to the present location. If any one is interested this is the web site: http://www.changimuseum.com/

any BOB fan out there?
did Lt. Spiers shoot those POWs ? :think:

Went to Pearl Harbour in Hawaii many years ago when was still a small boy.........very interesting i must say although at that time i wasnt that interested in history yet :)

Does it matter actually? He is one crazy dude to be running across the village, right through enemy positions to link up.

Anyway he did successfully go on to make the military his career and retired a Lt Comdr no?

*snorts derisively* Geneva Convention and proper treatment of POWs and non-combatants. Exists for the victors. Back in those days the victorious allied nations were too busy catching NAZIs to hang and trial then to bother about their own less than clean records. And who would level such charges against the allies? The NAZIs themselves? Not likely since most of them would have been hiding if not dead.

Just something to think about. Modern Laws of Warfare is something very subjective. :)

Hello my fellow CSers

Just to check if anyone of you have been to any historical battle scence before ?

Places like
1) Normany/Omaha beaches
2) Pearl harbour
3) Stalingrad [Present name today is call Volgograd]
4) Kursk
5) Midway Islands
6) Iwo Jima
7) Okinawa
8) Or any other ancient battle sites

Thinking of going this places.

Also thinking of going to such places - in my 101 places to go to before I die & probably bring my kid along & "brainwash";p

Add Thermopylae, Cannae, Zama...

I wonder how many of the 5000 dead in the 1942 Battle are borned and lived on Singapore land.

If only everyone hold such unity, such fierce passion towards one's homeland.

Actually most of those that died belonged to the local volunteers who fought to the last man.... our colonial masters? They ran and retreated before firing off a shot....

KT, I thing we should start organising outings of this sort and get us familiarized with what we have in Singapore.

Hi Virgo
You are right, we should start familiarize with our homeland first.

Hmmmm....... plan to go all the battle sites in Singapore.
Maybe one site at a time.

Hi Virgo
You are right, we should start familiarize with our homeland first.

Hmmmm....... plan to go all the battle sites in Singapore.
Maybe one site at a time.

King Tiger, it's not wrong to visit overseas historial sites.. But we have our own historial sites that we need to know and recognised with. There are some laying around in our estate...

Such as..
a) Chinatown - sook ching centre
b) Bunker structure in fort canning
c) Bunker boxes along Pasir Panjang
d) Fort factory - though it is a small place but it has many real historial items inside.......
e) changi chapel
f) Kranji War memorial

The hollywood movies tends to glorified the war and the story is almost one sided most of the times. Except the I heard the Iwo Jima is kinda of reversal...

Some of the sites that you can start with.. if only you're interested.

King Tiger, it's not wrong to visit overseas historial sites.. But we have our own historial sites that we need to know and recognised with. There are some laying around in our estate...

Such as..
a) Chinatown - sook ching centre
b) Bunker structure in fort canning
c) Bunker boxes along Pasir Panjang
d) Fort factory - though it is a small place but it has many real historial items inside.......
e) changi chapel
f) Kranji War memorial

The hollywood movies tends to glorified the war and the story is almost one sided most of the times. Except the I heard the Iwo Jima is kinda of reversal...

Some of the sites that you can start with.. if only you're interested.

I feel so ashamd. :embrass:
Until today, haven't been there yet.
Must go there one day.

Just to check with fellow CSers if anyone of you have been to any historical battle scence recently.

For me, I am a die hard fan of WWII history and planning to visit some popular WWII sites soon. :heart:

has anyone pick up some war relics at places like Ubin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.