Microdrive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phildate said:
I bought a 4GB MD and was very happy with it - great for one weeks travelling - no need to bring Xdrive or laptop.

To add, I use my 4GB MD for my 3D2N KL trip last week.
Using my F828, I took a total of 907 8megapixel bombardment shots and there are still 200 shots balance when I return back to Singapore.
4GB MD is extremely good as I do not have to worry about memory space problem, my only worry is how to take good picture. :sweat:

Other than it is fragile, the only slight drawback which I see is it consume (I estimate) about 20% more battery power than CF card.
Not sure does it apply to Canon too.

if you sink all your job into one basket, you tend to loose everything when it (touch-wood) goes kaput.

Just some of my view; I've used the IBM 340Mb MD with my 1st Digicam(Casio QV3000) many yrs back.
1. It drained my 4x AA rechargable batt fast, real fast.
2. It is slow. Some may urged that with a big buffer, it doesn't make a diff.
But why save some $10 notes & compromised the strenght of ur camera which costs much more?
3. At a mechanical point of view, The more moving parts, the more points of failure. Hence, U got to really handle it with care. Though I always handle my stuffs with care, it's still a stressful job whenever I handle my MD. Just look at it's bigger brother, the 3.5" HDD, it still doesn't promise u a safe enough way of storage compared to CD/DVD media.

Which is more important?
- The stress & fear of losing all ur precious data whenever u handle ur MD OR
Pay a bit more for a rugged, none moving-parts, trusted, CF card?
Though my MD did not failed me, I still chose CF card, cos once the moments of ur life is lost, U will never going to get it back.

evq said:
Just some of my view; I've used the IBM 340Mb MD with my 1st Digicam(Casio QV3000) many yrs back.
But why save some $10 notes & compromised the strenght of ur camera which costs much more?
3. At a mechanical point of view, The more moving parts, the more points of failure. Hence, U got to really handle it with care. Though I always handle my stuffs with care, it's still a stressful job whenever I handle my MD. Just look at it's bigger brother, the 3.5" HDD, it still doesn't promise u a safe enough way of storage compared to CD/DVD media.

Which is more important?
Though my MD did not failed me, I still chose CF card, cos once the moments of ur life is lost, U will never going to get it back.
Canon EOS 1D Mark II + 4GB Microdrive? Can?

Of cos no problem, u can use whatever u like, unless it is not compatible.

Anyone, Pls correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just doing some simple calculation;
8.5fps, 40 shots continuous stated by Canon. However, it does OR does not mean that the internal buffer can hold 40 shots before it needs to write onto the storage media. Lets say; It may only hold 30, simultaneously the 1st few shots are being written onto the media, the 31st to 40th are writing onto the space left by them. Hence, with 1D mkII fast enough write speed & a fast media, it happens to reach 40 shots before it needs to 'breathe'. Maybe I'm wrong on this.

So, for ur case, if u use a MD with slow write speed, it may not reach that 40 shots as it is supposed to.

So u got to ask urself this; do u need that 40 shots buffer, are u willing to trade that with a cheaper MD or slower CF card?
*Who knows, I might be very wrong on this.

I loaded my MD into my desktop card reader last time, and disaster struck! My desktop hang-ed while it was reading the MD and when I restarted, all the files and photos in the MD were all gone...

evq said:

Which is more important?

The older MDs are rather slow, have a higher current drain and are more fragile - you can't really compare them to the latest ones.

The ones manufactured by Hitachi now have a thickened wall, and also, it's disk head has been shifted to the area where the connector is (if u've read up on MDs previously, u should be aware that the most common cause of MD failure is due to the user squeezing the disk head). The power consumption has also been reduced, albeit not as low as CFs.

imaginary_number said:
The older MDs are rather slow, have a higher current drain and are more fragile - you can't really compare them to the latest ones.

The ones manufactured by Hitachi now have a thickened wall, and also, it's disk head has been shifted to the area where the connector is (if u've read up on MDs previously, u should be aware that the most common cause of MD failure is due to the user squeezing the disk head). The power consumption has also been reduced, albeit not as low as CFs.

bro... mi not flaming u... i tink lotsa people in here... is once bitten twice shy mentally.... it applies to me... i have bdad experince with MD and brandless CF cards... or worse brandless DVD.... screw me up b4... now would rather go "more branded" to ensure lesser risk... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.