Methods of Archieving your Digital Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
StreetShooter said:
Do the portable enclosures require a separate power supply?

Thanks.
Most of the 3.5 inch hdd portable enclosures require a separate power supply.
Some 2.5 inch hdd portable enclosure do not require, they draw power from the USB port.

"...a large capacity HDD is "putting all eggs in one basket"...."

You mean putting all your eggs in two baskets. ;)

The HDD is a backup...

Astin said:
Most of the 3.5 inch hdd portable enclosures require a separate power supply.
Some 2.5 inch hdd portable enclosure do not require, they draw power from the USB port.

2.5" HDD only available in small capacity like 60GB leh...
bigger capacity only available in 3.5"....
or am I wrong?

I am using a 200Gb external HDD bought Q2 or Q3 this year. Never regretted though my friends all asked me to get a DVD burner :sticktong

The problem with DVD or CD is that they deteriorate after few years... furthermore, if don't maintain the disc properly, it gets mouldy :angry:

With external HDD, it is so convenient as I can bring it along and use it on other PCs too ;) No need to search which disc is the photo stored at :think:

As HDD can failed too, so am thinking of getting another 200Gb for a backup :sweat:

yep. use raid 1 + tape backup.

So which brand of HDD is reliable?

Seems that many of u use 200GB. How about 300GB?

sorry to jut in ....

how about the RW kind, (not the -R kind, that is more prone to failure from poor storage).

also, how about MO drives? (slow and expensive, but i think quite reliable, though dun know still can find or not....)

wahlao1 said:
The problem with DVD or CD is that they deteriorate after few years... furthermore, if don't maintain the disc properly, it gets mouldy :angry:
... :sweat:

I'm very surprised to hear that, though I've only stored my CD-Rs (in normal cabinets) for 4 years without any deterioration or problems.

I can imagine the convenience of the portable HDD which is what I have been contemplating for some time now but normally after I'm done with the images I don't need to bring/keep them around with me so much.

weekh said:
So which brand of HDD is reliable?

Seems that many of u use 200GB. How about 300GB?
i use seagate. no problems for me so far. have been using this brand since the birth of consumer hdd above 1gb.

before that it was quantum and ibm.

well, IMHO, putting everying in a single 300GB HDD is risky. I would rather consider backing up to both HDD and DVD.

HDD often crashes without warning, or sometimes the whole file system might corrupt due to unknown reasons. Backing up to two location or two types of media should be safer. At least i know that the DVD is there when HDD crashes :D

If suay suay both also fail.. then really bad luck liao.

As for brands of HDD, i used to buy Quantum, then Maxtor. But now i move on to Western Digital. Had a 30GB Maxtor that failed and a 40GB Maxtor dying.

caseytan said:
well, IMHO, putting everying in a single 300GB HDD is risky. I would rather consider backing up to both HDD and DVD.

HDD often crashes without warning, or sometimes the whole file system might corrupt due to unknown reasons. Backing up to two location or two types of media should be safer. At least i know that the DVD is there when HDD crashes :D

If suay suay both also fail.. then really bad luck liao.

As for brands of HDD, i used to buy Quantum, then Maxtor. But now i move on to Western Digital. Had a 30GB Maxtor that failed and a 40GB Maxtor dying.
i *NEVER* touch maxtor or WDs... they crash more often than i drink water.

Clown said:
i *NEVER* touch maxtor or WDs... they crash more often than i drink water.

hehe, i used to use quantum, then move on to maxtor as they acquired quantum mar :)

had a bad experience with seagate many many years ago :rolleyes:, and IBM ones are not so popular, with the famous Deathstar :bsmilie:

so far my Western D SATA HDD quite ok, so far so good. :touch wood:

Bought the Maxtor 300GB and Sarotech casing.
Actually wanted the 200GB HDD as it is more economical but no stock leh...

Still very slow.... copied about 15GB of files and it took almost half an hour

caseytan said:
hehe, i used to use quantum, then move on to maxtor as they acquired quantum mar :)

had a bad experience with seagate many many years ago :rolleyes:, and IBM ones are not so popular, with the famous Deathstar :bsmilie:

so far my Western D SATA HDD quite ok, so far so good. :touch wood:

My personal experiences here, and may not be a good indicator of the reliability of the various HDD brands:

Actually, Hitachi (formerly under IBM) has one of the best HDDs I've ever used. They had reliability issues with their Deskstar 75GXP (nicknamed as "Deathstar" series :) ), but they have improved by leaps and bounds.

If I'm not wrong, the 7K250 series have one of the fastest access times for a PATA HDD.

I've seen all 5 Maxtor HDDs die together in a RAID-5 setup (RAID cards + cages by 3Ware). Maybe I got a bad batch.... :dunno:

Other than a good HDD, you need a good cooling device for your HDD to prevent HDD failure due to overheating.

from my experience i dont think hdd are that reliable. i would rather take my chances with hdd + dvd. if you want to backup to hdd i suggest backup to 2 hdd. tapes can get mouldy too or worse burst. backing up to 2 different type of media is probably the best option.

madmacs said:
from my experience i dont think hdd are that reliable. i would rather take my chances with hdd + dvd. if you want to backup to hdd i suggest backup to 2 hdd. tapes can get mouldy too or worse burst. backing up to 2 different type of media is probably the best option.

I use this combination too. External 160Gb HDD(Seagate) with DVD-R.
Always do two backup if the files are important.

I'm now transferring my DVD backup to the new hard drive.
It takes about 25 mins just to tranfer the disk over!!!

I think I'll try to set the new drive as a slave. Guess this will be fast rather than to depend on the USB 2 transfer.

StreetShooter said:
Do the portable enclosures require a separate power supply?

Thanks.
the 3.5" casings normally require an external power supply. For the 2.5 or 1.8 HDs they do not require power supplies but still depends on what you have hooked to your USB hub. If you hook on many power draining devices to the hub you will need to power up your 2.5" casing.

IMHO, the higher capacities >200GB technology is not stable yet. Don't ask me where I got my info from but I would say it is a reliable source.

The higher cap drives are still in a 'stabalising' stage. Those on sale now are those that pass the QC of the production line.

'dUh' right? of course everything have to pass the QC... well, the product yield of these high cap drives are very low at the moment. That is why they sell out fast. Not because they are HOT.. but becos the numbers are low. So the impression I have is that.. these drives are those that luckily survived the QC to be sold on the market.

Drive capacities go up in TENS of GB every few months. So it is good to buy capacities some where not too old (like 40GB) or too new (like 200GB). The warranty covers 3 to 5 years.. but they will only do a 1 for 1 replacement. Not your data...

alamak... I bought the Maxtor 300GB !!!
Guess I will use it as a slave for temporary storage...

Get a more stable 200GB for archieve... Any good recommendation for a stable 200GB HDD ?

Connected the portable HDD to my iBook.
Can read the files in the portable HDD but cannot write. How to enable the write access feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.