Memory card

noobzpro

Sep 2, 2010
Hey guys, need to get a new memory card as I'm going for a 2 weeks trip. Looking at a 64gb sd card. Currently in the dilemma between sandisk extreme sdxc 45 or 85mb. Price for both of the cards @ 64gb capacity are 78.90 and 111 respectively. Or cant it be cheaper? Im using a eos550d btw so would i gain any benefits from having the faster card. Thanks alot.

Hey guys, need to get a new memory card as I'm going for a 2 weeks trip. Looking at a 64gb sd card. Currently in the dilemma between sandisk extreme sdxc 45 or 85mb. Price for both of the cards @ 64gb capacity are 78.90 and 111 respectively. Or cant it be cheaper? Im using a eos550d btw so would i gain any benefits from having the faster card. Thanks alot.

what are you shooting?
video and photos?
photo only?
jpg and raw?
raw only?

what kind of subjects are you shooting?
general travel photos?
photo safari?
sports?

how many pieces of memory cards you intent to buy?

=====================================
Others: All other makes/brands/DIY & misc photographic gadgets discussed here.
General Tech Talk: Share tips & tricks, techniques, general photography chat.

thread moved.

what are you shooting?
video and photos?
photo only?
jpg and raw?
raw only?

what kind of subjects are you shooting?
general travel photos?
photo safari?
sports?

how many pieces of memory cards you intent to buy?

=====================================
Others: All other makes/brands/DIY & misc photographic gadgets discussed here.
General Tech Talk: Share tips & tricks, techniques, general photography chat.

thread moved.

shooting sceneries lor
mostly photo with abit of video
jpg most likely as i dont really edit my photos

general travel photos

looking at single 64gb would it be enough for a 14 weeks trip

For 2 weeks, plan to see how many shots you would take per day and calculate the size of each photo. Then you will know how much memory you will need, plus any video.

If you are not shooting sports, most likely you would not benefit from having a fast writing card.

I would also suggest you break up and buy 2-3 cards instead of 1 card as anything happen to one card, you can still have the other cards remaining.

Before you go, you should try to write on the card fully using some video files to ensure that the SD card is genuine. If you do not test and got a fake card, you will cry while overseas.

dont put all eggs into 1 basket. if the card ups the lorry, near end of the trip. u will bang balls.

I typically try to go for the fastest. But in your case, 45 MB/s is probably sufficient.

shooting video is gonna take up lots of GB. you may want to consider bringing a HDD to transfer footage.

If it me, will just choose the 45mb/s for normal shooting. Then u can buy more than 1 cards. As some mentioned, dun put all eggs in 1basket.
Unless maybe u will shoot lot of sport action & videos.
Most of time the normal 30mb/s sandisk ultra is enough for my normal shooting. :)

Also need check is what the max write speed of ur cam card slot.
I only use the ultra sd card for my 5D mk3.
CF card will then use at least extreme if shooting events etc.

Last edited:
ok thanks for the info guys....most likely will get 2/3 32gb cards...i think will take the higher one...so where u guys recommend to get it from?

Get the 45/mb. More value for buck. And 45/mb is honestly fast enough.

From previous recent experience, I'm using a 2 x Sandisk (32gb) Extreme pair and have never run out of space in a 7 day trip. I wouldn't suggest a 64gb card, one point failure. I took around 200-400 photos per day.

I get mine from Challenger. The recent Comex saw a Sandisk 32gb Extreme (80mb/s) going for $66 and 64 gb Extreme Pro (95mb/s) going for $132 so i reckon the 45/mb will be much cheaper now. Try your luck at Funan , i'm sure prices are even better there now.

OMG, I just paid $96 for the SanDisk 64gb extreme 45mb sdxc at Funan.

Where did you buy it for $78.90 ?

Thanks

looking at single 64gb would it be enough for a 14 weeks trip

YMMV, 64gb would be more than sufficient for me for 3 weeks and I shoot in both raw and jpg.

However HD video is a guzzler, and you could fill that amount in a day.

Ryan

For me, 3 days at Jakarta, I shots 2 x 32 gb + 2 x 16 gb.... more cards safer