Manual focusing. Why so proud of it?

btw, I still have a medium format film camera with few manual focusing lenses, like this can be proud or not har? should I bring it to outing to how lian a bit can?

no, you can only be proud when you make your own film.

i do it sometimes. you are all inferior to me. i am the most manual of the manual, the king of the cavemen. :)

oh dear, didn't know that owning or using manual focusing lens can be so proud of it, I disposed all my manual focusing lenses as far as I can when I switch to auto focusing lens, guess I have to update myself for the IN thing consistently.

I have a whole bunch of MF lens to trade with your AF so that you can be IN :bsmilie:

Im a D90 (soon to be a D700) and dont own any AF lenses. All Zeiss and because they are the ver1 they are non-cpu so the only automation is autoWB. My total experience is 11-day trips to the city centre and I always wanted to be a street-shooter so maybe not as fast as sport but the occasional granny gets a bit of a spurt on.

Zeiss 21/2.8 28/2 35/2 (couldnt decide so I got both) 50/2makro & 100/2makro.

Why not AF? ...well I give the reply that while I can still walk, I dont need an electric scooter. And the point some of you are missing is that its not called Manual Focus, instead it is Selective Focus.

This from my 2nd day at doing street....(although 1st day was just as good)

4300414228_2e67823bd5.jpg

ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
Nikon D90, Zeiss ZF 100/2makro​

Last edited:
Why not AF? ...well I give the reply that while I can still walk, I dont need an electric scooter. And the point some of you are missing is that its not called Manual Focus, instead it is Selective Focus.

Although you don't need an electric scooter, you still take the bus or drive ya? AF can also be used for selective focusing as long as you know what you are doing.

Anyways, lovely photo. Feels like something from the sartorialist, minus the whole sitting down this of course :thumbsup:

it would be nice if some of u guys showed some decorum and respect to basic photography skills like focussing and the few who stick hard to this in the face of smarter technology and programs

MF's other great companion is memorizing the DOF tables for your favorite focal lengths (for me its 20, 25, 28, 35 and 50mm)..... these 2 usually go hand in hand

IF you do both well today ....... THEN you're good ..... :thumbsup:

AND if you can do the above 2 AND know your EV tables from ISOs 50 thru 400 ..... today....then you're kool :cool::cool:

ONE DAY...... when you're out of battery/electricity....... the old clunker is still going to continue taking pics while most of us slaves to electronics fall to the side

Last edited:
ONE DAY...... when you're out of battery/electricity....... the old clunker is still going to continue taking pics while most of us slaves to electronics fall to the side

when you're out of electricity, taking photos will be the last of your worries. :bsmilie:

you should be learning how to send out smoke signals. that is the old and gold version of what we know as the internet today. :angel:

Cool. Excellent selection of lenses and your 100MP is really sharp. Are your lenses ver 1 or 2?

Im a D90 (soon to be a D700) and dont own any AF lenses. All Zeiss and because they are the ver1 they are non-cpu so the only automation is autoWB. My total experience is 11-day trips to the city centre and I always wanted to be a street-shooter so maybe not as fast as sport but the occasional granny gets a bit of a spurt on.

Zeiss 21/2.8 28/2 35/2 (couldnt decide so I got both) 50/2makro & 100/2makro.

This from my 2nd day at doing street....(although 1st day was just as good)

4300414228_2e67823bd5.jpg

ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
Nikon D90, Zeiss ZF 100/2makro​

manual focus when you need more control. otherwise, people just wanna be special:dunno:
but then, photography is an art and nobody can tell you what you should do:)

otherwise, people just wanna be special:dunno:

The only thing that is special is what the person produces, the only thing that excites me is great pictures, and the thought process behind the capture. Empty talk about etereal lens characterics is pretty immaterial. Mf or Af is just a means of achieving the output.

Four pages on Manual focusing...

You'll never get that much involvement in discussion about light here. :bsmilie:

Four pages on Manual focusing...

You'll never get that much involvement in discussion about light here. :bsmilie:

I think there is a strobist thread in here that's even longer. I can't seem to find the search thingie after the 1 week break though. Why don't you bring in tilt/swing. That ought to make this go on even longer :devil:

Strobing, the 'nouveau technique chic' is only one small subset of artificial light, but doesn't replace basic knowledge of light itself.

Discussions of tilt/swing would last even shorter, probably.

Yea. There are entire books written on light. It does seem kind of weird that focusing is a relatively small subject but discussions can go on and on and on, but the thing about internet discussions is that the length of the discussion depends on how subjective the opinion is. If we are talking about something factual like light, the discussion will end within 4-5 posts.

In a factual discussion, after 2-3 people come in to try to bring the same point across in different word. Thats the end :sweat:

Although you don't need an electric scooter, you still take the bus or drive ya? AF can also be used for selective focusing as long as you know what you are doing.

Anyways, lovely photo. Feels like something from the sartorialist, minus the whole sitting down this of course :thumbsup:

He he... he walked to East Coast Park, went swimming to Java, walked the island, swam over to Christmas Island, and then swam to the great down under, landed next to a croci at Queensland. Stole some croci eggs and walked to Melbourne. Took the shots and ... gee, these are digital shots, how you handle without a comp arh?

Or yes, lovely photo. Have fun with your feet and MF.

it would be nice if some of u guys showed some decorum and respect to basic photography skills like focussing and the few who stick hard to this in the face of smarter technology and programs

MF's other great companion is memorizing the DOF tables for your favorite focal lengths (for me its 20, 25, 28, 35 and 50mm)..... these 2 usually go hand in hand

IF you do both well today ....... THEN you're good ..... :thumbsup:

AND if you can do the above 2 AND know your EV tables from ISOs 50 thru 400 ..... today....then you're kool :cool::cool:

Aiyoyo... people MF people AF people F (that's Fart, don't get it wrong).

If you enjoy MF go ahead, let me enjoy my AF. If we want to talk respect, then show me the money, err... photos. Got good photos got respect. Die die must MF and show blurry photo, sorry la. Not you, can't tell yet until see photo, ok?

Me show photo? I never ask you to respect me what.

Anyway I've been around a bit. Had a 5-day hiking trip and went without camera battery for the 5 days, shot with sunny f/16 rule on Kodacolor 100, Canon FTb QL, and Tokina 35mm f/2.8. Years ago, erm decades ago. About 60% exposure spot on, the rest +- 1 stop. Now I could do with an exposure meter... today one can claim manual focus manual exposure no meter, but how great is that with the histogram and instant feedback?

DOF? Oh yes, using Canon AE-1, Tokina 100-300mm f/5.6, shooting sports day in school. Estimate focus and lock on f/8. Or the day I shot with Minolta XE-1, flash in hand, auto thyristor set at f/5.6, need a shot but have a plate of beehoon in my hands, erm... looks like less than 2m, heck DOF can cover on the 35mm MC Rokkor-X, shot with one hand. Selective focus? Just brute force keeping image in focus through the use of DOF.

Yes those good old days... Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Today I prefer AF whenever I can, MF whenever I need to, like shooting macro, or using my old Nippon Kogaku 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor-S on my D60, heck I have to manual expose also. But nothing great, histogram to guide me.

Time has changed, first there was MF, then screw drive AF, then silent wave motor AF, then multi-sensor AF, etc. Different horses for different courses, different lenses for different uses, different folks different strokes.

All lenses are the same. They use different types of glass and light still has to go thru this glass to image the sensor. Some use fingers to focus and some use different types of motors like micro, USM and HSM etc.. So what's a digital lens?

No need to emphasize on the term until like that lah...:bsmilie: like i said before, since legacy lenses are also known as manual lens, so what do you call a lens is that capable of using AF then? Forget about it lah.. and i also explain already, i simply call it digital just because i don't use my fingers to touch the lens focusing ring to get my pictures in focus but instead relying on the AF instead. :)